South Florida Science Center and Aquarium
More attraction details
Owner description: The South Florida Science Center and Aquarium (former South Florida Science Museum) provides curious minds of all ages with an entertaining and educational journey through science and technology. The Science Center features more than 50 hands-on exhibits, a digital planetarium, freshwater and saltwater aquariums, as well as natural history exhibitions. Established in 1961, the South Florida Science Center and Aquarium is a non-profit institution dedicated to its mission; "Open Every Mind to Science".
Cowansville, Pennsylvania
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Shocked”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We try to integrate fun and learning opportunities into our travels with our children. Because we were in the area, we decided to check out the South Florida Science Museum. We have a membership to the Carnegie Science Center in Pgh which allowed us a discounted fee for the center. I am glad we didn't have to pay full price. The museum consists of several rooms of aquariums, a hallway with some thought provoking hands-on exhibits, a couple of things about Egyptian mummies, a dark room photography exhibit, and that is about it. Thoroughly disappointed and left after about 1 hr. The facility is going through a renovation and expansion and I seriously hope that it gets an upgrade in the displays. There is a Subway restaurant on property if you get hungry. We were unable to explore the Planetarium because we missed the show time start. Unless extremely bored, you can find better experiences else where. Try the nice zoo next door.

Visited June 2012

West Palm Beach, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Place for Events!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Plan your event at the Science Museum and have a great time. We had our Cub Scout Blue and Gold Dinner there and had complete access to the museum. The kids had a great time and the museum staff couldn't be more welcoming. A must do in West Palm .

Visited April 2012
Miami Beach, Florida
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 286 helpful votes
“Not a huge place, if more to do I'd rate higher”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have been here numerous times because I live in the area. My kids and I used to have a membership so they could go unlimited amounts of times for free (soemgthing to do to get us out of the heat on hot or rainy summer days). I find myself quite bored each time even though they still got a kick out of it.

We recently went back for a special program, otherwise we no longer visit.

There are other science museums that are far larger and more interesting with much more to do. Unfortunately, due to the smaller size (in comparison) to the other science museums I have gone to I just can't rate this one very high.

They do get interesting exhibits from time to time that are worth checking out, but it is not (for us, I can't say you won't enjoy it) worth the visit "just to go". Maybe for younger kids, but we enjoy larger science museums with multiple levels and more interactive experiences, more live animals. Although at this museum we were able to pet a small nurse shark during one live talk. sadly the area is very small, and it was very crowded, and people (visitors )were being very disrespectful by not remaining quiet and calm as to not stress out the shark.

It's sort of a catch 22 - the events are more interesting, but then it draws in the crowds who can sometimes make certain hands - on experiences (which are only done at certain time slots) a real headache.

I personally prefer the museum in Ft Lauderdale - although this one in West Palm is close to the zoo, so you can maybe beat the heat and leav e the zoo and zip next door to the museum.

Again, I rate "poor" because I really did not find this an "average" science museum, not because it's the worst thing ever. In comparison only to any other science museum I have been to, because of it's size and also lack of new and exciting exhibits and interactive attractions, I just don't find this particular location to be interesting enough (for me) to warrant a visit. Although, again, I do want to point out we have enjoyed a couple of visits for special events in the past - other special events were really not so special and I wish we'd have skipped, altogether.

Visited August 2011
Oradea, Bihor, Romania
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Nice way to spend a couple of hours”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Relaxing atmosphere, nice displays, very ok shows. The fish were also nice to look at.

Visited March 2012
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“SF Science Museum”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I have been going to the science museum since I was little, and have taken my son numerous times. There are a lot of interactive activities for the kids to do!

Visited February 2012