“MARVELOUS THAI FOOD WITH AMBIANCE”
Review of Malakor Thai Cafe

Malakor Thai Cafe
Ranked #13 of 686 Restaurants in West Palm Beach
Cuisines: Sushi, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I've never been a curry eater. But I read the rave reviews about the green-curry dishes here, so I decided to be adventurous. This entrée can be made with a variety of meats and sea foods. I went with chicken. The meal is prepared with "coconut milk, Thai green curry, bamboo shoots, snow peas, carrots, green beans, bell peppers, kefir lime, fresh basil leaves." Indeed, all the vegetables were fresh. The entrée came, for me, with brown rice. The meal was fantastic. There's no other way to describe it. I couldn't believe how delicious the curry sauce was. The plate was awash in it, fortunately. I used the large spoon to scoop up some rice and bath it in that sauce.

The ambiance was that of a small but cozy café with charm. Soft, instrumental music from speakers helped to create a relaxing atmosphere. The chairs and benches were cushioned. There was decorative artwork on the walls. A seated Buddha waited inside the entrance.

The kitchen and adjacent areas were a beehive of activity. I got the impression that this is a family-run business. Service was excellent.

My rating is actually a 4 1/2. There's not much to see outdoors beyond the outside seating areas. The restaurant is not located in a scenic part of town. If it were, my rating would be a solid 5.

Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

I like the decor - lots of orange and pink with plenty of South Florida foliage. The A/C wasn't great and the doors were open, but maybe this was a temporary situation - it added to the Southeast Asian feel! Thai iced tea was very good. Service was great.

I had the red curry and my mom had the green curry. Ten bucks for lunch with a peanut salad dressing. I would go back for that dressing alone. The green curry was stocked with avocado and plenty of basil - wonderful. I was worried that there was no vegetarian option (ie tofu) because just veggies at a lot of Thai places really falls short. Here, it was wonderful - vegetables of all kinds cut with texture and style made it interesting (mushrooms, sweet potato, etc.). The veg was fresh and not soggy - clearly prepared recently and not re-heated. I asked for spicy, and it was good spice, but a little under where I wanted it to be.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I had high hopes after reading other reviews on trip advisor. A little disappointed. The portion sizes were huge. The flavours less so. Would go back. Maybe.

1  Thank David W
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The decor is a little odd. It looks like someone painted the walls imagining Mt Vesuvius nearby, and then Thai was overlaid. Its interesting after you get used to it. In any event the service was very friendly and efficient. Several people stopped by our table and all were polite and knowledgable and low key. The food however, is really what keeps the place full. We started out w a few apps, spring rolls, salads, grilled skewers, and they were so good we ordered another round of first courses and never got to entrees. Really tasty, clean food. Not heavy or overdone. Would def go back

Reviewed March 15, 2014

It's a very charming place; food is tasty and well presented; and the folks are very nice and friendly. It's plenty good to bring a first date! However, we like the taste and spices of food at A-1 Thai better; but its decor and neighborhood are a bit sketchy that you would not want to bring anyone to A-1 unless he/she knows you very well already. We like both the crispy while strip bass and the crispy duck dishes we had.