“GREAT!”

Island Jacks Patio Bar and Grill
Ranked #286 of 699 Restaurants in West Palm Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Reviewed by Wayne Filowitz & Victoria Mason I don’t know about you but some days I just feel like going out for a casual meal rather than an extravagant one. With that said I decided that we would tell you about our latest experience at Island Jacks. Island Jacks has casual bar and grill atmosphere that compliments its menu which consists of ribs, fish, chicken, burgers and wings etc. as well as a fully stocked bar. Elaina owns Island Jacks, and it was she that welcomed us at the door and then took us to our table although quite frankly the aromas wafting from the kitchen that assailed us as soon as we stepped in were an inviting welcome all on their own. Even after discussing the varied menu options with Elaina, I still had no idea what I was in for during this dining experience. We each selected something off the menu that we wanted to try but left the rest of the choices up to Elaina, our cheery and knowledgeable server Bristol, and Mico the chef at Island Jacks. This can sometimes be a dangerous practice, but it is my experience that there has not been a dissatisfying dish come out of this kitchen. We started off with New England Clam Chowder which was just full of clams and potatoes in every spoonful. This is an intensely satisfying cream based soup. Also brought to the table was Bahamian Conch Chowder; as with the Clam Chowder, every spoonful was also full of soupy ingredients such as conch, celery, potatoes and carrots. This unusual chowder has a slight spicy kick to it and is a delicious meal in itself. After the soup, an order if Shrimp & Crab Fritters appeared and I must say these were the largest fritters I have ever seen. Alone these slightly spicy nuggets are a tasty treat but add the accompanying sweet/tangy sauce and I dare you to stop at just one. I was careful enough to only eat two even though my taste buds yearned for more. Are you a rib fan? If so this is the place to come for the meatiest, fall-off-the-bone baby back ribs we have yet encountered. Faultlessly seasoned and cooked to perfection, these are a rib connoisseurs dream and if you go on a Monday night, you can get a full rack for under $10.00!!! Now we’re eating high off the hog…or whichever part the ribs come from. Another entrée I recommend is the Hemmingway Steak. The Hemmingway Steak is the Thursday night special and is a tender marinated steak topped with sautéed onions and parsley. This dish will touch every taste bud with its succulent flavors and have you wanting more. The steak is definitely the star here, surrounded by a supporting, complementary cast of goodies. I recommend this one cooked medium; it is succulent, tender and delicious. On a side note, a little birdie told me that Thursday night is also Salsa Night (that’s dancing, not a tasty topping for nacho chips) which brings out a bevy of beauties, so if you’re looking for a bit of eye candy to enhance your dining pleasure you might just want to swagger on over to Island Jacks some Thursday evening. That same little birdie (a stool pigeon perhaps?) also mentioned that ladies at the bar get to eat some of this awesome food for free Thursday evenings as well. If you’ve stayed with me this far, I must tell you about the Island Jacks Fish and Chips. A light, delicate batter enrobes a lovely flakey piece of fish, this is a nice surprise, no heavy batter, no overcooked fish…truly a delight in every bite. Our last entrée dish was Shrimp Ala Pasta. Large shrimp, nicely seasoned atop of a bed of pasta. Excellent flavors and a dish I would rate as one of my favorites. Surely you must understand we were pretty full by this time but somehow Bristol was able to tempt us with a couple of the tempting desserts I-Js offers. Wayne of course went the chocolate option in the form of the 5-Nut Kahlua Brownie which turned out to be a deep, dark, moist round brownie, crisp sides all around topped with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and a cherry…a chocolate lovers paradise on a plate. Vickie went for the Warm Apple Crisp in which tart apples contrast beautifully with the crumb topping. This warm concoction is then topped with scrumptious cinnamon sprinkled vanilla ice cream…yum. There are some other taste surprises in here but you’ll just have to stop in to Island Jacks on the corner of Okeechobee Blvd and Military Rd in West Palm Beach, Florida to taste it for yourself.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Went on a Wednesday, with friends, for the $0.25 oysters..amazing! Great service, great environment, great food. I would definitely come back to visit during my next vacation!

1  Thank ajbecerra2

Reviewed March 6, 2013

What a treat - an early bird special that was really special! The choices were interesting, the food fresh and tasty, and the service exceptional. Expected a run of the mill pub, and received so much more.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I come to this bar at least once a week. I love the prices! The drinks are amazing and they also have a late night happy hour that makes this the best bar in town. I do love all of my regular bartenders there: Patrick, Scotty and Maya are by far the best! My glass is never empty and I'm always entertained.
I went to there a couple nights ago and was served by a girl named Chelsea. She was so beyond rude. She made it seem as though getting me and my boyfriend a drink was a hassle for her. She gave us dirty looks and an attitude and at one point I was going inside to get my drinks because she was making it such a big deal. Very rude and awful customer service. :(
Make sure you ask for another bartender!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The ambience and the food was great. Great selection of beers and food! I visited on a Friday night and the fish fry was going on. Not being a big fan of cod, I opted for the steak fajitas and they were great! Very tasty and cooked to perfection as asked! I wanted med. rare and that is exactly what I got...really good skirt steak and plenty of fillings which is a rarity in other restaurants offering fajitas.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

The service here is hit and miss. I enjoy the Friday fish and chips special for $10.00. It included two very large peices of fish.
A lot of locals and seniors from a local retirement community. They start Bing-O at 7:30 a 8:00 pm. Kind of cheesy.