“a gem of a restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Palm Beach
“a gem of a restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We ventured here on a recommendation of our son. We were pleasantly surprised to find a very intimate restaurant with a welcoming staff. To start, the warm olive bread was delicious. We shared a caesar salad which was good but not great. I had the scallops, perfectly cooked and seasoned. My husband had the mushroom fettucine which was the best he has had. Overall, we can't wait to go back. The food was very special and not the usual restaurant fare. It was as if everything was specially cooked to order.

• Visited May 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“VAGABONDI INSULTS ITS CUSTOMERS!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

VAGABONDI INSULTS ITS CUSTOMERS!
I have never experienced in any restaurant such personal arrogance, rude behavior, and lack of compassion, including public embarrassment.
None of the four in our party would even consider a return, ever.
To give an overall rating to Vagabondi is to grade it as low as possible in every service category: way below zero, except for arrogance.
For the record, I have been lactose allergic for over thirty years. In all that time, moreover, I have been able to enjoy wonderful restaurant meals in the US and around the world, with a minimum of problem.
Our party of 4 went early this past Saturday night to Vagabondi in West Palm Beach, FL. After our arrival, we were approached by the server and ordered a bottle of wine.
Also, I gave the server an allergy card that I carry; it explains specifics of my allergy to lactose, and has been most appreciated wherever we dine out. She said ”We don’t take cards.” I sought to explain the importance of a mutual understanding of what I could eat, and what was off limits. She replied that through our Open Table reservation, they knew that I was Lactose Allergic.
I asked again to find out what was in a few of the dishes, so I knew what I could order. It was not long before the chef came to the table and aggressively told me that he would take no liability for any problem that I would have with his food. I explained that my allergy is not life-threatening and asked if he could advise what on the menu had no dairy products. Waving his arms in front of the face of one of our table guests, the chef told me that he could not responsible for foods touching on a plate or in the kitchen, added that I should order one of three main courses, and left in a huff.
All in the group were stunned, as none of us had been treated in such an aggressive, forceful manner, when we were the customers, explaining a dietary issue before ordering.
Still, we were looking at the menu, deciding whether to leave or order when the owner came over and started to berate me. I asked for the check to pay for the wine and sparkling water. He said it was best if we would leave immediately and that he would pick up the check to get us out.
In my years of dining out, and using the allergy card for the past seven of them, I have never experienced in any restaurant such awful actions by a chef or owner.
Having never tasted a bite, we cannot rate the food as good, or bad. The experience, however, left a very bad taste in our mouths.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ThomasG82
Natiional Park, NJ
“Variety at Vagabondi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Wonderful meals and pleasant atmosphere in a small boutique restaurant. Wish it was open more days during the week and it's a real treat for dinner.

Visited March 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Love this place food is great service is good great place for date night n family heighten restaurant I've been go there so many time .its one of my favorite Italian place in town

• Visited December 2012
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Having just moved back to my native WPB, after many years working in the airline industry, I was inquiring about new restaurants. My hairdresser at CityPlace recommended Vagabondi, on Belvedere. Coincidentally, a family friend, who is a well known, interior designer, had just opened a shop several doors down from this restaurant. My friend suggested that we have dinner there, to show support for a fellow business owner. He made a reservation for four, at 8:00, on a Tuesday night. We arrived promptly at eight and were seated at a nice table. My friend introduced himself to the owner, and said he had just moved in a few doors down. The service was rather slow, but the restaurant was full. Our food was wonderful! I had the beet salad, followed by scallops, as the main course. We were given a small basket of bread, but if we wanted more, we had to pay. I would think a restaurant of this caliber, would give the diner extra bread, without being charged. We passed on dessert, and asked for the check. A woman came to the table with a scanner attached to a tablet, in order to process the payment. My friend gave her his debit card that he uses for his business. He just checked the balance and there were more than sufficient funds to cover the $200.00 bill. The woman swiped his card, and announced it was declined. My friend was astounded and said there was no way this could be true. She tried again, with the same result. At this time she became rude, and acted as if my friend was trying to pull a fast one. He asked to speak to the owner, and when he came to the table, he was very defensive of the woman and announced to the restaurant that he had never had a card declined at his restaurant. If fact, he stated this again, and acted belligerent. My friend was upset and embarrassed, as he could have been entertaining clients. We produced a credit card and took care of the bill. Whatever happened to the motto, the customer is always right? Vagabondi handled this matter poorly, first of all by scanning cards at the table, and then making an issue of it in front of other patrons. Since they knew my friend was a fellow business owner in the same plaza, they should have quietly asked him to settle up the next day. Then we would have left happy, having had a pleasant dinner experience. There was a 92 year old woman in our party of four, who was literally shaking, after the rude treatment. I would suggest the management take a refresher course on how to treat customers. By the way, my friend called his bank the next day, and they said there had been no attempt to use his debit card the night before. The bank spoke to the owner to tell him there were sufficient funds there, and he needed to check his scanner. Also, the bank suggested he offer my friend an apology. This hasn't happened!

• Visited January 2013