“Good Brand, Bad Service”

Embassy Suites by Hilton West Palm Beach Central
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in West Palm Beach
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Let me first preface my review by saying I have stayed in several Embassy Suites around the country. I love this hotel chain and am usually very satisfied with my stay. Now, that having been said, I want to relay the experience I had on my trip a week ago. I had previously reserved a hotel about 2 exits away that I had stayed in the year before and had a good experience. I ended up cancelling my reservation at the hotel that was wonderful to us the previous year to stay at this hotel however, because of how much this chain had always impressed me. Our family comes to this area annually for a competition my daughter attends, so I thought that it might be nice to make a tradition out of the Embassy Suites. The night we checked in, everyone was relatively accomodating, but the attitudes of the folks at the front desk seemed off from the usual warm welcome I receive when I stay at this hotel chain. I didn't think much of it because it was late and I figured they might be as tired as I was. When we got to our room, it was very comfortable and clean. The next morning, we encountered the highlight of our stay, and that was the very amicable omelette chef. He was super nice and very pleasant. He was friendly, polite and respectful, and more to the point, he made a KILLER omelette! When we left the hotel that morning for day 1 of my daughter's competition, the porters and the shuttle drivers outside the front door of the hotel went out of their way to say good morning to us and to be welcoming and pleasant. That, sadly is the end of the good things to say about the hotel. Now, to the bad stuff: the front desk from the previous night that was less welcoming than I was used to turned out to be the NICER of the front desk shift workers. I had no encounters with the morning shift workers, but the swing shift front desk employees were, to say the least, NOT polite. They appeared to be very dissatisfied with their jobs. Their faces looked like they might crack if they smiled, and their attitudes, pfft! Quite frankly, at the front desk of a hotel, you are the first and the last person your guests will encounter during their stay, so it is imperative that you be polite, courteous and most of all NICE when you deal with them! I always felt like apologizing to them for bothering them when I went to the front desk. Is this how I should feel when speaking to any staff at a hotel I am patronizing? I think not. Finally, to the worst thing that happened regarding the front desk staff, and this time it isn't something they did, it's something they DIDN'T do. On the first day of our trip, we went out to eat, and upon returning to the hotel, we parked in the row that faced the side street that ran alongside the hotel. There was a tree next to our parking space, and as we got out of our vehicle, we noticed something sticking out of the tree. Upon closer examination, we found that it was a DRUG SYRINGE that had been stuck in the trunk of the tree at eye level. Granted, this is something that can happen to any place of business. They have no control over the skeevy people who walk past their hotel and do skeevy things. However, once inside the hotel, I went to the front desk and spoke to a woman, and I did not catch her name, regrettably, but I can tell you this was on 5/16/13 around 6pm, so that would certainly narrow it down. I spoke to her very quietly about the syringe sticking out of the tree in the parking lot. I told her the location and even gave her our vehicle's description so her maintenance staff could easily find this disgusting and potentially dangerous item sticking out of this tree on their property so they could dispose of it safely. What if a child got a hold of this thing and got stuck by it? There is no telling what disease(s) might be crawling on that needle! She said she would have someone take care of it. Now let me be clear, this should have been taken care of immediately. Instead, the next morning when we went to day 2 of the event we were attending, I found that lamentably, no one had done anything about it. When we checked out later that day, it was still sticking out of the tree with no one apparently planning to do anything about it. The fact that it was in the tree in the beginning wasn't the hotel's fault. The fact that nothing was done after being notified is unacceptable. The front desk is the main reason for the 2 star rating I am giving this hotel. I don't even care that the multitude of windows in the hotel are dirty, even though they were. I don't care about the water damage on the ceiling in the dining area that was being left there to rot, even though it did exist. While we were there people were painting the exterior of the building, so I have to assume the other 2 items I mentioned will be taken care of, so they are non-issues to me and probably would have been anyway since they don't directly affect my stay. I was disappointed with the hotel, to say the least. The tradition we had hoped to make with this hotel is not going to happen, and most of that is on the second shift workers at the front desk. Their attitudes were just awful, and I don't plan to spend money in this establishment again because of it. The fact that I alerted them to a true safety hazard in their parking lot and nothing was done was the final nail in an already built coffin. It's back to the hotel from last year when we come into town next May. Even the breakfast isn't enough to bring me back. I did encounter the manager briefly on our way out of the hotel one evening, and he seemed very nice and friendly. It's too bad that type of demeanor isn't reflected in the employees working the front desk :( Also, the hot tub jets need to be cleaned out periodically. When we turned the jets on, it looked like a week's worth of funk came out of them, including a dead caterpillar stuck to a giant leaf and several other types of bugs. Yuck.

Room Tip: If you are okay with rude front desk staff, then any room will do. We had a deluxe suite which was n...
3  Thank Joy D
GMBadillo, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton West Palm Beach Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Joy D,
I am very sorry to hear of your disappointing experience during your stay and appreciate you letting us know.
We will be sharing your review with our team members and addressing all issues that you mentioned.
Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel this is valuable information for us as we move forward.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

If you are looking for a fantastic hotel stay look no further. Great Breakfast and fantastic cocktail hour with good snacks. Rooms are big, clean and excellent WiFi. Staff was prompt and friendly. The Hotel is close to City Place and a short drive to the Gardens Mall.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
GMBadillo, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton West Palm Beach Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear William M,

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites. I will be sure to inform the staff of the great comments! We are glad that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and Manager's Reception! We hope to see you soon !

Reviewed May 16, 2013

What a great room I had here. We had a whirlpool bath that we shared while watching Dancing with the stars. Great bathroom, beds, etc. Clean and new. Even the AC worked great - usually after the room is occupied it gets too hot and the AC cant keep up - not so here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Howard B,
We are glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay. Hopefully, you can join us again for more excitement and enjoyment of the hotel. We hope to see you soon !!!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The hotel's website showcases two options for a 2 room king suite, one of them being "Deluxe". The main difference, as quoted from their website, is "This City View Suite showcases a breathtaking view of Downtown West Palm Beach and the aqua blue Atlantic Ocean." Wanting the better view I went ahead and booked the "Deluxe" suite.

The trouble started upon arrival when the desk clerk confirmed my reservation for a 2 queen suite. That's not what I booked so I had to stand around for ten minutes while she and another clerk went back and forth under their breath. Finally they found me a king suite on the 6th floor. This isn't an oceanfront property so I had serious doubts that I'd be seeing the ocean from the 6th floor. I figured the deluxe suites would be higher up (it's a 15-story hotel) but the clerk reassured me that this was a deluxe suite.

The room itself was nice and spacious with big windows in both the bedroom and living room areas. I was pleased. But then I looked outside to take in my breathtaking view of... the dumpster! That's right, my "deluxe" suite overlooked the hotel's trash. So I went back downstairs, with printed room description in hand, and asked about the view. The clerk told me that it's impossible to see the ocean from any room in the hotel and that the website information is false. In fact, no "deluxe" king suite even faces the ocean. Only the corner suites do (and they were all booked for the weekend).

Not wanting to look at trash all weekend I asked for a room with a better view. The clerk told me that all of the king suites would face the same direction. If I wanted a better view, which was of the airport, I would have to switch to a 2 queen suite. I liked the room layout of the king suite so I asked specifically, "is there any difference to the queen suite aside from the size of the beds?" The answer, "no, it's the same room." She was right except for the fact that it was completely different. The room itself was smaller in all aspects and the only window is in the bedroom. The living room has no windows and so when my kids went to sleep around 8:00 PM I was stuck in this little windowless dungeon for the rest of the night. The desk and mirror are also located inside of the bedroom where they would've been in the living room in the king suite.

Aside from the drastically different room layout the room itself wasn't thoroughly cleaned. The toilet came pre-equipped with toilet paper in it and the dressers had white splatter across the front. On my last of three nights there the housekeeper put new towel (slapped together, barely folded) and didn't bother taking away all of the old ones. She also didn't replenish the almost empty rolls of toilet paper. It was obvious that housekeeping doesn't pay much attention to detail. I also had a clogged drain and so my first shower resulted in me standing ankle-deep in my own filth. They did fix the drain quickly though once I brought it to the hotel's attention.

The A/C in the room was completely out of whack. The living room and bedroom were never in sync. If I set the thermostat to 72 it would be comfortable in the bedroom and freezing cold in the living room. 73 would leave my kids baking in the bedroom while we were comfortable in the living room.

Overall this was the most uncomfortable hotel stay I've ever experienced. The room was dirty, stuffy, and the website lied about the view being offered. I wouldn't stay here again for even half the price. I only stayed past the first night because I was foolish enough to pre-pay for the room, which is non-refundable. The only thing keeping me from giving this hotel the lowest rating is that the staff was generally nice and tried to accommodate. But the hotel itself is a disaster.

Room Tip: King suites do not offer views of anything but trash and a parking garage and the queen suites only...
4  Thank Edward C

Dear Edward C.
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning you experienced during your stay with us.
It is indeed unfortunate and disturbing to me to learn about these disappointments and, hopefully, you will accept my personal apology.
I have taken immediate action to remedy this situation and have shared your disappointments with the appropriate staff members.

Again Please accept my sincere apology and thank you for taking the time to share your disappointments with us.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I love Embassy Suites. There is no better hotel chain on the planet - offering luxurious space with an amazing, cooked-to-order breakfast and a manager's reception (free cocktails and salty snacks) at a VERY reasonable price. We stay in Embassy as often as possible. This location, though not oceanfront (they don't claim to be) is directly across from the airport (but not so close you can hear jet engines), central to everything in Palm Beach and West Palm, and full of amenities. The living room was HUGE by any standard (couch with a chaize lounge and separate lounge chair, desk, computer chair, television and ottomon) and a large room with king bed and a glass pocket door (as well as a kitchenette and spacious bathroom and two closets). I've enjoyed Embassy's in Philadelphia, Memphis and Murfreesboro, Tn., that were also great but the West Palm location was fantastic. The staff was friendly, parking was ample, the neighborhood was safe. If we could pick the room up and bring it home, we would.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 10th floor near the elevators and never heard a peep from other guests or the airport...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBadillo, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton West Palm Beach Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear sipmartini,

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites. We really appreciate the great review for our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed all the amenities here at the hotel. Therefore, as a brand we enjoy making each and every guest stay pleasant. Thanks again for choosing the Embassy Suites, we hope to see you soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was very comfortable in this hotel! It has all ammenities required to have a good night. I was 3 nights and I really relaxed after hard days on work. It's near of airport and at 10 min from downtown.

Room Tip: Look for corner suites
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GMBadillo, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton West Palm Beach Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Max201084,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed all of the hotel amenities, and everything that our hotel has to offer. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Overall very nice, safe, and luxurious seeming hotel. Unsatisified with additional unexplainable fees for use of the meeting room, but overall the room, breakfast and hotel lived up to it's sales hype

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
GMBadillo, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton West Palm Beach Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Michael A,

We apologized for any inconvenient and hoping your stay was enjoyable. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Glad to hear that you enjoy the amenities here at the hotel. We hope to see you next year!