“Unmitigated Disaster”

Dixie Grill & Bar
Ranked #89 of 665 Restaurants in West Palm Beach
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A neighborhood institution: Dining inside & out. Big menu featuring killer burgers, sandwiches, wraps, salads, pasta, reasonably-priced entrees, appetizers and nightly specials, even a kids’ menu. A full liquor bar & several ice-cold draft beers. Come on in – we’ve got something for everybody!
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Unmitigated Disaster”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I've been here many times and it's usually been decent food and the service has been fine. Apparently with the recent solar eclipse, things have changed.

We had a party of six and arrived at the tail end of the lunch rush. The waitress seemed pleasant enough but in retrospect, we should have suspected something was amiss when it took almost 30 minutes just to get drinks ordered and delivered.

Our food was ordered with few, if any, special instructions. We got lost in our conversation for the first 40 minutes. Once a few of our stomachs began growling, it occurred to us that it was taking an abnormally long time for the food to arrive. We never had anyone come out to explain why things were taking so long or to apologize for the delay.

After an hour, we started asking our waitress and the other waitress on duty why the order was taking so long. Our only answers were mumblings about "it should be right out." Refills on drinks were never offered throughout the meal until the other waitress noticed that most of the glasses had been empty for 20 minutes or longer.

At the 1 hour and 20 minute mark, a few plates of food arrived. The waitress seemed to have no idea what any of the food was nor could she recall what anyone at our table had ordered. Once five of our six lunches were in front of us (apparently they lost the sixth person's order and that person waited another 20 minutes for their food) we each noticed that something was wrong with our orders.

Our resident vegan had cheese in her wrap even though it was asked to be put on the side. The steak wrap came out with fish instead of steak. The Turkey Club sandwich came out with a few measly pieces of meat but no lettuce or tomato. My hot buffalo chicken sandwich arrived with a honey dip instead of hot sauce. The one sandwich that was actually made correctly showed up with a bottom bun so soggy it could be picked up.

During this whole time, we had a very lame apology from the waitress who made no real attempt to rectify the situation. She finally gave up trying to explain how every item was wrong and went to get the manager. Twenty minutes went by without a peep from either the waitress or the manager. Two different people from our group also went inside to request the manager come outside to our table without success.

The waitress finally re-appeared and began bringing out a couple of dishes that had to be loaded into TO GO boxes, since our lunch hour had now reached two hours. We requested a final time that she get the manager and he reluctantly came out to us.

After giving us a disinterested apology, he told us he would comp two of the six meals. We then pointed out that not only had it been two hours but that every meal was flawed. He stood there just staring at us with a bored look, mumbling, "Ok, ok, ok." as we told him we were unhappy with the service, the food quality and his reaction to it all. After we mentioned that it was probably our last time eating at the restaurant, he gave us yet another, "OK," as if that would clear things up for everyone.

Suffice it to say, I rarely, if ever, feel inspired to write reviews. It has to be either amazingly good or atrociously bad for me sit down and talk about it online. This meal certainly fits the bill. I will not be returning any time soon and I hope this review gets back to the owners and encourages them to train the wait staff, cook staff and management to be more responsive to the consumer.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank GMerchy

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Adore this place!”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I love stopping by Dixie every time I am in town. The atmosphere is unique and cozy, and the service is always stellar. Everyone is genuinely friendly and the food is superb. My favorite is the Jack Daniels Chicken and I also love grabbing the Cuban sandwich for lunch. Keep it up Dixie! I'll be in soon! :)

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Elena L
David, Panama
“The worst service ever and the food is a close second!”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Went for lunch and the Cuban sandwich I ordered was terrible and brought to me by a waitress with a worse attitude than the terrible sandwich. So if you want to waste your time on overpriced terrible food, this is the place for you. One and done!

• Visited May 2012
Florida
“Great local bar and restaurant”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Food is always very good. I always look forward to visiting here

Visited March 2012
1 Thank scuba14u
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
“A fun place to eat”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Went there a few nights ago with my wife and mother in law. Happy hour runs from 3-7pm. Grouper tenders were a good appetizer. Mom had the filet-very tender. My wife had the mahi mahi with garlic red skinned potatoes-excellent. I had the coconut shrimp entree-also very good. Walls and ceiling are covered with fun knick knacks. Worth a return visit.

1 Thank gjet72