“Not bad, but I expected more”

SpringHill Suites West Palm Beach I-95
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in West Palm Beach
Raleigh, NC
“Not bad, but I expected more”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Having stayed the night before at another Marriott property (a Fairfield Inn & Suites) and receiving great service, I expected something similar from this property, especially with its high ratings on TripAdvisor and its "Certificate of Excellence". I ended up with a mediocre stay that - while not something that would make me eliminate them from consideration for future stays if I'm in the area - left me feeling as if there should have been more.

When I first entered the property and checked in, I expected a greeting similar to the one that I've gotten whenever I've previously stayed at a Marriott property - something friendly, thanks for being a Silver Elite member, and some information confirming what I had reserved (to make sure it was what I had reserved) and about the property itself. I got little of that. I was asked for ID and credit card, told what room I was in, and given a lengthy explanation of how to connect to the WiFi. I didn't retain any of the info about the WiFi (I'd later figure it out myself - I'm handy like that), which made me wonder why the hotel didn't bother to give some kind of printed information if the WiFi instructions were going to be complex. I could imagine numerous guests coming back to the front desk to ask how to connect to the WiFi again. I never got a smile, nor did I get any kind of acknowledgement that I was a Marriott Elite member. Granted, I'm just barely a Silver Elite member, but I'm still a member. It's the only time I haven't been greeted as such when staying at a Marriott property.

The room, especially for something labeled as a "suite", was small. Granted, we had two beds in the room, so that's going to decrease the size available, but a single TV in the "suite" makes it difficult to pretend that there's any kind of separation between where the beds are and the rest of the room.

Other than that, it was a good experience. The pool was heated (handy since my son wanted to swim at night and it was an outdoor pool), the gym area was adequate (albeit small, but it's not like you usually need anything huge), and the staff was friendly outside of the initial check-in experience. Breakfast was free and typical of your free Marriott breakfasts with the eggs, changing breakfast meat (ham first day, sausage second day), waffles (this one had a mini waffle maker which made four small waffles instead of the one big one), & oatmeal with various toppings. The second day's breakfast saw my son take a chocolate milk and started to open it when he realized that it was two days after its "sell by" date - an oversight I've never really understood because it means either 1) the staff isn't bothering to check for freshness/expiration dates, or 2) the staff knows that the expiration date has passed, but doesn't want to be "out" of something, so they pass it off anyway and hope no one will notice. Either way, that would leave me concerned about the expiration dates of the things we can't see that are prepared in the back.

Still, it was a nice, clean facility with comfortable beds, and for the main things that you want with a hotel, it was fine (outside of the expiration date thing - the more I think about it, the more that starts to bother me). Still, there was nothing that made this an exceptional stay, or even anything above average, and that in itself was disappointing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
SpringhillWPBGM, General Manager at SpringHill Suites West Palm Beach I-95, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear MrWorkRate,

Thank you for such a detailed comment. I really do appreciate the comments, good or not-so-good, we need to hear them. I really want to bring up the milk situation since it is a health issue. Please rest assured that this is going to be looked at much more closer now. We look at expiration dates daily, but it is obvious that we did miss one. I do remember hearing this and we immediately removed them off the shelf and discarded them. I am really sorry this happened to you. This is definitely something that is more on top of our minds now.

Our goal is to acknowledge ALL Marriott Rewards member as well as the rest of our guests. I am sorry that we did not greet you properly. All our guests are very important to us, so we try to greet everyone as everyone is important to us.

Thank you for the rest of the comments and if you would like discuss further, please reach out to me. My email is joseph.dunann@marriott.com.

Joe Dunann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Middlesex
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in November. Staff efficient and very friendly. Breakfast good, hot choice a nice surprise. I would recommend this hotel for a short stay. The only issue was that I had asked for adjoining rooms on my initial booking and then emailed again 2 weeks before arrival but they were unable to accommodate my request.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Nimicup
Dear Nimicup,

Thank you for staying with us in November. I apologize about the adjoining rooms' situation. We always try our best to accommodate all guest requests but at times, we are just not able to. Please know that we tried our best. I am glad the rest of your stay was great. I you have further comment, please feel free to contact me at 561-689-6814 or at joseph.dunann@marriott.com.

Mayaguez
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. Very nice hotel with excellent accommodations. Staff is very friendly and helpful. One day the Pepsi machine in my floor ate $1.75 from me. I casually mentioned my experience to the front desk staff and they immediately told me to get a soda from their lobby refrigerator for free and apologized for the inconvenience! I travel to West Palm Beach every year to run the marathon. The hotel is a 12 min drive from the starting line. Without doubt, I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RJoses
Dear RJoses,

Thank you for the great comments. We are glad you choose our hotel to stay at during this important time in your life. Our hotel and company also participate in the marathon to support a great foundation called The Paley Foundation. I am sure you did great! Sorry about the Pepsi machine!

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Top Likes:
1. Housekeeping staff very attentive
2. Shower felt great (water pressure/shower head a plus)
3. Nice size room for family of 3
4. Front desk staff attentive and friendly
5. Variety offered for breakfast daily

Top Dislikes:
1. TV too small for size of room
2. No dishes/cutlery or bottled water available in kitchenette

Room Tip: Only 5 floors; 5th floor recommended; it's quieter Gym has 1 eliptical; 2 treadmills, 1 bike (a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Toshiba J
Dear Toshiba B,

Thank you for spending the holidays with us. The staff always enjoys seeing their work appreciated the way you did. My staff works very hard and those type recognitions always help. I did see the comment about the size of the televisions being a bit too small. As we replace the televisions, when they go out, we are replacing them with larger televisions. Thank you again and see you soon!

NYC
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights over the Xmas holiday. It is a typical Springhill Suites -- good breakfast, free/reliable wifi, good gym, large suite. The staff here is also nice. Good location near 95 highway and a short drive to Palm Beach. But we had two very negative experiences. First, the fold out sofa bed was very very uncomfortable (all springs) and could not be slept on. Second, the rooms are designed with connecting doorways to the neighboring room and, as a result, it can be very loud if your neighbors are loud. On our second night here, a room full of young kids were screaming at 1145pm and we could hear it all. This is very poor hotel design. We tried to change rooms but the hotel was full and there was nothing that could accommodate our group. We will skip this hotel when we return to West Palm Beach.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear NYC Family T,

Thank you for your comments. We have been made aware from a few more guests about the sofa mattresses being uncomfortable. I am glad to say that we have heard the comments from the guests and have listened. We are expecting a new shipment of all new mattresses in about a week from today. I do apologize that we did not replace them before your stay. I also would like to apologize on behalf of the neighbors that you had and the noise they created. It was the holiday season and hopefully they were just excited about seeing their family.

I hope you do decide to give us another chance.

See you soon.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed for 1 night and while the location is convenient (right off 95, easy access) it is not in a very nice area. There's a strip club across the street and you're surrounded by fast food and value stores with questionable characters, which may not bother you if you just need a quick stay while on a road trip or something similar.... but definitely did not have a "vacation" vibe.

We arrived 10 minutes before check-in (which I believe was 3pm), and the front desk staff would not help us until exactly 3pm. We had to wait and then get back in line with everyone else waiting around to check-in at 3pm.

The lobby/common areas are very nice, and the free breakfast was yummy. Our room however (specifically the sleeping area) felt outdated and grimy - I found a used hairtie in the tracks by the windows and a band-aid in the closet... ew! It needed a deep cleaning, that is for sure. The A/C unit was incredibly loud and we could never get it quite right. I do like the added seating area in the room which makes it feel more roomy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EmilyandSam,

Thank you for staying with us. Your comments are very valuable to myself and my hotel. The staff should have checked you in before three o'clock. If we have a room ready before three o'clock, then the guest is more than welcome to check in. During the holidays, we were extremely busy and we the rooms might not have been ready 100% to be checked in. This is definately a training issue and it will be brought up during our next associate meeting. I apologize if you were not allowed into your room before three o'clock.

It does sound like the inspection process should have been more detailed and I am very sorry if we dropped the ball there.

Thank you for bringing these items to my attention. If you have any further comments that you would like to discuss, please contact me personally at 561-689-6814 or at joseph.dunann@marriott.com.

Boston
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We only stayed here one night on the way back from Key West to the west coast of Florida; we wanted to see the West Palm Beach area. We were greeted by Christian, who was a really friendly, funny guy and treated us great. He even gave us ice cold bottles of water, since we were Marriott Rewards members. It's nice to be appreciated! The room was a good size with a sofa to watch TV on and very clean. The breakfast was much more than we expected, with scrambled eggs, sausage links, hard boiled eggs, ham, fresh fruit (strawberries, pineapple, bananas and oranges), along with cereal,hot oatmeal, bagels, eng muffins and make your own waffles. Every time someone came in that front door they were treated to a smile and a welcome (we do watch for those things). Christian was there to bid us a cheerful adieu when we left in the AM. Highly recommended property!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
SpringhillWPBGM, General Manager at SpringHill Suites West Palm Beach I-95, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear BeverlyMA,

What an awesome review! Thank you! I am sure Christian will be pleased to see how much of an impression he made with you. He is a great guy and a great associate. I am happy he showed our appreciation with you being Marriott Reward Members. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I wish it was longer. Maybe next time you are in town, you can stay longer.