“Love the Thursday night Art After Dark option, great for those who bore at museums”

Norton Museum of Art
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1941 by Ralph Hubbard Norton and Elizabeth Norton, the Norton Museum of Art in West Palm Beach, Florida, is internationally known for its distinguished collection, featuring American, Chinese, Contemporary, and European art, and Photography.
Reviewed October 6, 2011

If this review is helpful please mark it as so. :-)

I am not an art lover by any means, but recently went to the Norton on a Thursday night. It is the only night they are open late. We saw the special exhibit (forgot the name) with costumes and props from TV and movies such as Star Wars, Wizard of Oz (wicked witch of the west's hat - my favorite!).

One Thursday a month (I believe, or maybe it's every week - do check) they stay open late and offer "Art After Dark". I HIGHLY recommend this. It is not crowded, and you get more for the same entry fee. All exhibits, special and museum-owned. In addition, each Art After Dark has extras... Live music, special dining options (yes, there is an eatery but it is VERY expensive for what they serve!! I think I paid 4 dollars for a small glass bottle of Sprite for my daughter). Each evening is different so check their site for details. They have special events and crafts for kids, special learning opportunities - the night we went there were a couple of magicians/illusionists that were very good... We're still scratching our heads! This makes it MUCH more enjoyable for young ones (and old ones) that find wandering a museum to view art simply not enough to keep them engaged.

We probably stayed an hour and a half, saw the exhibits, watched the illusionists (twice), overpaid for a Sprite, could not afford the food (went to JS Subs after!), sat in on the band for a few minutes and had a much more interesting Thursday evening than we would have staying home. And when you see the Picasso sculpture on the column, don't back into it and try go knock it off like I did!! ;-)

Also, they did not allow photography in the special exhibits (which was KILLING me, I wanted to take pics of the Wicked Witch of the West's hat SOOO badly!). I was happy to take photos in the regular art gallery, but the museum staff made certain no one took photos elsewhere. Seemed a bit odd as they did not explain this policy as we entered, I had to get stopped shooting Darth Vader's costume by a man in black (hmmm) who I likened to Secret Service due to his dress and ear phone.

There are 3 stories to this museum and it has been newly renovated. Some of the areas were closed during my visit but they are now open with all items back on display for everyone to enjoy. It is very popular with schools for field trips and, of course, the construction man is a favorite of all locals (who know exactly what I mean - he's been there since I was a little kid!).

OH, and it was 10 dollars for adults and my children were both free, as students. I like free!! :-)

If this was helpful, please check it as so. :-)

3  Thank TheWanderer305

Reviewed August 13, 2011

I have been to the Norton many times and while I would not recommend this as a place for children, the temporary exhibit about costumes used in movies was a big hit with my 6 yr old grandson. This is a lovely place and the presence of security guards everywhere keeps it lovely because there are no children running around, no cell phones ringing or conversations and everyone is respectful. Really beautiful photos, paintings and sculptures. Do not miss the glass ceiling.

1  Thank Petwriter
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I didn't expect to see this much good art here. Some of the masters were displayed, along with modern art, a photography display and a fun display of costumes from movies - Star Wars, Star Trek, Spiderman, etc. They were also showing the Star Wars movie that had Jabba the Hut. We really enjoyed it. It was $12 per person. There were a lot of families with young children and a lot of young people who seemed to be on dates. There was limited parking at the museum but there is plenty across Dixie Highway in their other lot. There is a cafe and they do offer classes for kids and have other events going on.

1  Thank plan2gosoon
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have been to the Norton many times, and I always enjoy it. They have a great collection, so whether you go for a special feature or not, you will see great art and sculpture.

1  Thank CFC-Me
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I love this museum. It's a great date spot, as well as a spot for taking friends, family, and visitors to Florida.

I go at least a couple times a year to check out the new exhibits. Last time I went was to check out the sci-fi costume exhibit, which had Darth Vader's suit, the Riddler's jacket, and more.

I highly recommend this spot if you're looking for a way to spend a morning or afternoon in West Palm. The value is amazing. As I'm a student, I get in for super cheap.

1  Thank Alexmari