“Bess's is a New local eatery” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Florida
“Bess's is a New local eatery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Bess's opened just about a month ago. It still has some growing pains but overall we like the place. I've eaten there 3 times now and while we really enjoy the place with its' location, friendly staff and decent prices the food could be better. The first time I had a great price special, a whole rack of baby back ribs. These were cooked pretty good but the sides were small and under whelming. My companions got hamburgers and both said they were overcooked. The second visit I got a New York Strip and it was cooked pretty good. The third visit I got a center cut pork chop with corn on the cob and black eyed peas. The chop was overcooked but tasty, the corn had a flaw so that only about half was eatable and the peas were bland. My companions had burgers again and the new bean burger with a honey jalapeno mayonnaise sauce was declared very good and the cheese burger was cooked just right. The Mon-Fri Happy Hour 4-7 is pretty good with $2 wells, $1 off beers, etc. If the kitchen gets better at quality control this should be a great little place to go. We plan on trying it again soon.

“Do Not Waste Your Time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Definitely would not recommend this place to anyone I know. When we first arrived, it seemed like a decent atmosphere and were greeted in the first few minutes. We were sat in a booth and brought bread by our server who greeted us. We looked over the menu and it seemed like a limited selection of items on the menu that did not really tie into the name of the restaurant, but we figured we would give it a try. Our server then came back to get our drinks and take our order. We ordered the Teriyaki wings, which you had to order off the "Poultry" menu where it should have been on the appetizer side of things. We also ordered 2 Bacon Cheddar Burgers w/ Fries. One cooked Medium-Rare, the other Medium-Well.

We were quickly brought our wings and they were hot and good. Most were pretty decent size, but 2 in the basket of ten didn't even sum up to a single chicken wing when compared to the others. We then waited quite a bit for the remainder of our meal. In this time, we waited for refills on our water which no one seemed to eve see. Even the manager who came seemed to ignore they were empty and we didn't get a chance to say anything about it, due to eating food. We even watched her go to other tables and refill their water. Once we were able to catch our server, we got a refill on our drinks. We waited a bit longer and finally got our food. What we received was 2 extremely well done burgers. I cut it in half and it looked drier than the sahara. The other burger was definitely overcooked, but at least it still had some juice left. I said screw it and tried a bit, and it was just awful. I asked the server for a new burger and waited another long period of time (Nearly 20-25 minutes).

When I was brought the new burger, it STILL was not cooked right. It was more medium to medium well. He also advised us he would comp the burger for the issues, which I was happy with that decision and turned my bad experience into a bit of a relief. The manager came around at some point before I got my new burger and I told her it was wrong and she seemed surprised, which she shouldn't have. After I had my new burger, she came back around again and I told her it STILL wasn't right, but she played it off. So when our check came, the server said "She wouldn't comp the burger, so he did 20-25% off. That 20% off turned out to be 10% off a single ITEM. So a whooping $.80 cents. This was just a slap in the face. Not only did a 30-45 minute meal take 1.5 hours, but to the make up for the shotty food was not worth the time we wasted. The waiter even said, I hope this is ok and I advised him its not like I have a choice. Honestly, I felt bad for the waiter. Every single table he had seemed to have issues with his food. I wasn't going to sit there and argue the check, obviously the manager does not care. This place will not last long as the past 2 restaurants have died out in that location, shortly they will be the 3rd unless they turn around their customer service and food.

In the end, do not bother going there. Why would I order a steak if you can't even cook a simple burger right?

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ShawnL321
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible Food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

The place was nice and waitress was nice. I ordered a bacon cheese burger and was asked how I would like it prepared I said well done. My food arrived pink in the middle, they took it all back and "cooked". My fries were horrible and I realized they microwaved my whole meal. The burger tasted horrible I couldn't even eat it. We sent it back and said why and they argued with my husband about weather it was microwaved which made him mad. We will not return.

1 Thank Heather P
Florida
“Excellent new restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

Had a very nice lunch today. The staff is very friendly, the food was delicious. Good value for your money. Nice size portions and good food. Nice clean restaurant!!!!

2 Thank zanadu
Melbourne, Florida
“Promising... but needs work!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

We arrived about 6:45 pm and requested a booth. We were told it would be about 10 minutes. After that time had passed the hostess told us our booth was being cleaned and we would be seated shortly. A few minutes later we were led to our booth. Surprisingly there were three other clean empty booths behind us! Not sure why we had to wait for a booth? My husband and I sat down and waited for our server. And waited. And waited. It was now 15 minutes after we had been seated and no one came to us. We watched as an employee cleared and cleaned two tables right across from us but he never acknowledged our presence. We assumed his job was bussing tables. A few minutes later a waitress stopped by our table and asked us if anyone had taken our drink order yet. We said no one had. A short while after that my husband saw the hostess talk to the man cleaning the tables and she pointed to our table. He then came over to our table and introduced himself (Henry) and said he would be our sever! We were shocked that we had sat there watching him clean other tables for over 20 minutes and he apparently had no idea he was supposed to be our server? He had never acknowledged us in all that time. Henry took our drink orders and poured water in our cute little mason jar glasses. We ordered the spinach artichoke dip appetizer and our entrees. A salad is 2.00 extra with any entree so we ordered one with extra thousand island dressing. Several minutes later my husband's beer arrived. Henry brought us a small loaf of warm dark bread and a tiny little cup of cinnamon butter. The bread was great but there wasn't nearly enough butter. We did not have any bread plates so we had to cut the bread in the basket. We never saw Henry so we could not ask him for more butter or plates. Our appetizer arrived shortly after with two small plates. The sides of the dip were bubbling but the rest of the dip was only luke warm. I actually burned the side of my finger while scooping the dip onto a chip because the chafing dish was so hot! I warned my husband not to touch it because it was incredibly hot! They really should not serve it like that without a warning! The dip should have been heated more thoroughly then transferred into another serving dish. It was creamy and tasty but the hot dish was a hazard. We waited about another 10 minutes and our salad came. The salad was nothing special at all and I had to cut up the large chunks of lettuce. The thousand island dressing was white...reminded me of tartar sauce. Henry disappeared again so we could not find him to ask if the dressing was actually thousand island because it certainly did not look like it. We decided to eat it any way. Tasted like mayo and pickle relish. Finally our entrees came. My husband had ordered the catfish filets and I ordered the chicken fried steak. My husband's entree was supposed to include coleslaw and a side of corn bread with an added side of roasted red potatoes. My entree was to include mashed potatoes, coleslaw a side of corn bread. My husband's entree arrived with rice and small cubed potatoes that looked like they had been boiled. They definitely were not roasted. His three catfish fillets were so small I thought they were chicken tenders. He did not get his coleslaw or cornbread and neither did I. Henry had disappeared again as he never came back to check on us, so my husband left our table to find him and ask about the cornbread that was supposed to come with both of our entrees. Henry expressed surprise that no one had brought us the cornbread and said he would get it for us in a minute. We had finished our entrees when we finally received two small pieces of cornbread. The cornbread was warm and spicy sweet...quite good. Henry brought us butter for the cornbread as we requested. Our entrees were decent quality, especially for the very reasonable price. ($7.95) The gravy on my chicken fried steak was very tasty but scarce, barely covering half of the steak. The mashed potatoes appeared to be homemade because there were some potato lumps in them. Cole slaw was just okay, nothing special. It was now about 8:30. When Henry finally took some of the extra plates away he never asked us about our food or if we wanted dessert. He just disappeared again. He never asked if my husband wanted another beer and didn't fill my empty water glass until we were ready to get our bill. While we were waiting for our bill we saw another lady visiting tables all around us to ask about the food. We heard complaints about too much breading on the food, mistakes in the orders, appetizers arriving with the entrees, etc. We were never visited or asked about our dinners. We would have welcomed the opportunity to congratulate them and welcome them to the community. We wanted to tell her we really hope this new restaurant will succeed. We would have suggested that the wait staff needs more training. We would have told her we thought the food was quite good and the prices are reasonable, but the service was a disappointment. She never acknowledged us so we did not have the opportunity to share our thoughts with her. We left Bess's place feeling like we were pretty much ignored...from start to finish. Not the experience we were hoping for...

• Visited March 2014