“Nice property, needs updating”

Saddlebrook Resort Tampa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wesley Chapel
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed in a 2-bedroom suite as part of a wedding weekend. The positive: spacious rooms, each with its own bathroom. Nice living room area, which was nice to have, as most of the wedding party was staying within the same "pod" of rooms and there were a lot of side parties going on. Easy access to the pool & main building, plus golf cart rides available if you don't feel like walking. Golf course looked nice, but not a golfer, so can't make a judgment. One of the wedding events was held there, the room and food were both good.

The negative: dated, dated, dated. Entry door was old/warped, we had a hard time opening it. Shower was something out of the 70s. Exterior needs a paint job. For the prices they charge, they should invest in some needed improvements.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 25, 2014

SaddleBrook is expensive, but, I wanted to relax after their tennis camp (I did 5 hours of tennis for 5 days straight) and this resort made it possible with a few exceptions. Staff are all very nice and are customer service oriented. Pool is beautiful, restaurants have very fresh, delicious food. Spa is great with a wonderful staff. Not happy to have paid $15 for valet parking per day which was really $20 after tipping $5 to the runner. I am happy to report the hotel manager did take care of us after we explained the issues we had with our room/stay. In my opinion, if you pay for a nice hotel- there shouldn't be problems like below...
Here are 3 of the exceptions: At 440pm ordered off in-room lunch menu. lunch closes at 5pm (Dinner menu brings increased pricing). Kitchens had already transferred- but a staffer went out of his way to get the needed ingredients to fill our order = Awesome! ...However, our bill wasn't adjusted to match the time we ordered until after 2 calls.
Their 2 bedroom suites are beautiful & well appointed. However, we found a brown beetle (?) crawling out of our coffee pot... After I'd removed my freshly brewed cup (of bugs?)!! Yes, we are in the south and yes, the gorgeous golf course has a lot of lakes,etc... but, really- did I need that type of alarm clock in the morning? First call, got a visit to room with a partially disassembled coffee pot- no note nor follow-up call. Wondered if they got the bug which we'd told them crawled up behind the nearest wall's art work... (4th bug we'd seen by that time & yes, we'd called announcing our previous days' pests) Second call, brought a new coffee pot.
Other issue was black mold trail along sliding glass shower track- called twice to inform them of the massive water leak while showering....causing the black mold there. (all other parts of bathroom were clean). First time, I returned to room there was a swiped up smudge along the track tile... Second time, I believe silicone caulk was applied as it stopped leaking- but remained black= YuckO!
The manager was very polite in talking through the situations with us and helping to resolve them asap. We appreciated it! SaddleBrook is a lovely resort and hoping our next stay is better. Love the Tennis Pros!! and convenience of staying on-site.
Tennis Pros were interested in helping each of us in our group (of 4) improve our game. Met us where we were and moved us forward with patience & intelligent instruction. Very professional, insightful, and a great sense of humor...which helped keep my energy up! Absolutely the best tennis camp!! I will be back!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Today is my last day at Saddlebrook and I wanted to write a review before I forget what a great experience I've had. This is my second stay, and I've booked my return already! The tennis program is outstanding! I've played 3 days, 5 hours each day and I have learned so much from the outstanding pros! I've been several other tennis places, but this is a place to return to over and over if you want to improve your game! Larry, one of the more senior guys, is so knowledgeable and is very good at teaching. He has corny sayings and picture perfect demonstrations to show you what you do and how to improve to make it more effective. He throws in a few jokes and he laughs at them too! The positive learning environment and their willingness to help you was just outstanding. Kevin, a young pro, could express himself and make clear to you what you need to do by analogies from other areas you could relate to and help you see it from a different perspective. I did have a pro that I didn't get and was quickly moved to a different pro whom I really learned from. All in all, this place is a must go to for tennis! Groups, singles, couples, ladies, men, juniors; there is something for every level of play and every type of player. Good job Saddlebrook!

Room Tip: Depending on what you want there is something for everyone! Resort, condo etc. Some are newer than...
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a high end resort and golf course. Very good facilities but we went to golf and the bag drop off area is a bit of a walk to the golf clubhouse....the hotel reception area was very busy and there is valet parking so we we a bit rushed to make our tee off in time.

The course is superb but very tough for high handicappers and on course snacks are a little pricey.....still it is to be expected at a to notch resort like this.

We got a good on line deal to golf here ... Not sure I would pay the advertised or quoted price direct from the resort.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I was here for a conference, so golfing wasn't part of my stay... So, I'll just comment about the room....
This is not a standard hotel.... It's a series of "clusters" of apartments and is set in a residential community. I was given a two bedroom apt/suite. If you don't want to walk, just call the front desk and they will send someone to give you a ride in a golfcart (some of the clusters can be a 15+ minute walk to the ballrooms) not fun in the rain....
The suite was very clean and 1980/90's decor. It did have flat screen tv's. But very strange, no CBS station.... Being in a apt. setting, I tended to putter, as though I was home... The master bath showerhead needed some serious cleaning - so much lyme deposit - Florida thing, we have hard water here - it helped some, but still needed to soak in something to clear it.... They need more outlets near the beds for phones, tablets, etc.... I was on the first floor and the the floor above creeked everytime someone walked - which in my instance - they walked a lot!
Room service was good and speedy - but note that when you leave your tray outside your door, sometimes you'll hear the racoons eat up what you did not....
The banquet staff was probably the most attentive I've seen. Usually they treat the a/v crew as an afterthought - like the rest of the hotels - However, this staff treated us wonderfully and going out of their way to make us feel like actual guests of the hotel. I can't tell you how often we are treated sub-par.
The restaurant in the main building had great burgers! And the service was wonderful.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank turtleSouthFlorida
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Looked for accommodations in area a little late to find more reasonable rates - ended up staying here and paying a premium for a short one night stay. The room was good, decorating a little tired, ate in the lounge where food was good - a la cart pricing, service was good.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We had an amazing time at the resort! Great tennis instruction, lovely spa, great accommodations. Our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The tennis was outstanding. The pros were patient, smart, and dedicated to working on our game. We will be back!

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen and living room for 20 more a person. We were in clus...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wesley Chapel
Rodeway Inn of Wesley Chapel
Rodeway Inn of Wesley Chapel
#6 of 8 in Wesley Chapel
Hampton Inn Dade City-Zephyrhills

Been to Saddlebrook Resort Tampa? Share your experiences!