“Looking For a Relaxing Yet Filled with Activity Experience”

Saddlebrook Resort Tampa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wesley Chapel
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Looking For a Relaxing Yet Filled with Activity Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at the Saddlebrook resort. Our experience did not include golf or tennis as we spent our time relaxing at the pool. We enjoyed our dining experience at the on site restaurant. The salad bar is not something you would find anywhere else. A variety of cheeses and small bites to start a first course. The staff go above and beyond to ensure your stay is a memorable and pleasant one. The comfort of the resort extends into the rooms where the beds are amazing. The small kitchen allowed us to eat one meal a day in the condo. If I were to offer an improvement in the room it would be to have larger trash canister available in the kitchen. One additional improvement would be to dust the room prior to a guests stay. The light fixture above the dining table and the blinds were very dirty. I must also agree with other reviewers that if there are guests on the second floor above you, the loud noise from their walking about is a bit distracting especially at 6am. Overall, a very nice place to stay for a couples retreat or family. This visit included our 4 year old son and my parents.

Room Tip: 2nd floor to avoid noise of guests above. Cluster 4 is a bit farther away but allows for ample priva...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Hebrew first
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

The beauty as soon as you turn into the resort is awesome! It doesn't stop there. The grounds are breathtaking. The rooms are spacious and well equipped,the staff knowledgable and very helpful. We saw alligators, unusual birds, snakes, armadillos and someone even sited a panther. I would not have liked that but we're grateful for a second floor suite! I would definitely consider returning. You can't go wrong here. A special note of thanks to the gentleman taking care of the valet parking! Overall a fantastic place!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Itsunreal
Shelby Township, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Traveling for business, I didn't enjoy the 45-minute drive from the Tampa airport and then meandering through the property's confusing roads to reach the main resort. You give your car to valet, only option, check-in and then require the assistance of golf cart shuttles to your rooms spread throughout the vast property. This is not efficient when one is working and would prefer to just come down the elevator bank to the conference center at all hours. The property seems dated, rooms/bathrooms weren't as clean as they could be, and dining options were limited. The out buildings seem like old motels, so as a female, I didn't appreciate being on the first floor for safety concerns, but I wouldn't have liked the second floor without elevators either. Very happy to depart!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank HMRoch
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

They've done as much as they could with this aging lady, but she's still ancient. Ceilings creak when guests walk on floors above, smell of mildew is striking in the rooms, Dempsey's restaurant hasn't updated the menu since Ike was President except for the stunning prices. A place to stay only if required by a conference.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Stillooking
Palm Bay, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed at the Saddlebrook Resort recently for a wedding on 09/14-09/16. I was so upset and disappointed.
Before actually booking a room, I called to find out what the prices would be as a discount for the wedding party. The two bedroom suite listed online was $204 and the discounts for the wedding guest were $199. I informed the Bride-to-be about this because she was under the impression (from her wedding planner) that she would be getting a great discount deal for her guests; $5 isn’t a discount. We were not informed either about the $10 valet parking a night, or $10 resort fee.
The conditions of the suite we stayed in were less than satisfactory. Everything seemed neat and picture perfect. The lobby was very nice and elegant looking. However, the cleanliness of our room was terrible. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite and the smaller bedroom sheet had stains on them, the bathroom mirror was broken, wallpaper coming off in the rooms, the appliances were out of date/old. For the amount of money people pay for the rooms, especially the suites, we were under the impression it would be nicer than this. But all of these issues do not compare to the disgust of seeing not one but two roaches, different sizes, in the matter of 30minutes. I brought this to the staffs attention at the front desk (mind you I was in the middle of a welcome party by the pool for the bride and groom) and nothing was done. They wrote down the information, and asked if I wanted someone to spray, and informed me that it would be brought to a manager’s attention and I should receive a call the next morning. No one called me, no manager contacted me. I was apart of the bridal party, and I was getting ready for the wedding the following day, I did not hear from any manager. I had to call to find out why I hadn’t heard from anyone. I still to this day never spoke with a manager, they asked if I wanted to have someone come spray the room, and I told them no because we didn’t want our stuff being sprayed. They ignored our request and sprayed anyways. I felt like our concerns, and experience as a customer didn’t matter to this staff.
The last problem I want to address, when we first got there to check-in there was an issue. I had another couple sharing this room with me, and a friend. Our friend arrived first and in order for her to be able to check-in to our room, I had to talk to three different departments. They then took a card number from her to have on hold (which I didn’t know about) when I arrived they took my card number also and informed me that I had to hold $380 on my card (meanwhile they still had the first card still holding for the room). I said I didn’t want a hold that large on my card because I wasn’t the only one paying for the room. They said they would be able to hold $100 and then when I check out we can pay for it however we wanted to. That wasn’t the case. On Saturday there was a message on the room phone, when I called I spoke to someone I believe her name was Sherry, who was incredibly rude. She stated she informed me of this and she knew she told me. I was arguing with her for awhile because she wasn’t the one who checked me in. Then she started repeating “your card was declined…it’s declined and we need to have another card number to hold the room”. When I explained continuously to her that we were told they would hold $100 on my card and then when we checked out we could pay however we wanted she corrected me saying that isn’t how it worked, almost as if I was lying. She then stated “Your card is being declined because we need to hold another $140 on the card”, now totally $240 that needed to be held. I have never heard of this.

Needless to say, I will not ever be coming back to this resort, and I will be sure to pass my experience along to friends and family. I will also note that the Brides family was shocked as well, and wanted to make sure I brought these issues to someone’s attention.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Alisha H
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Disappointing. Although the front desk told my group at check in that the rooms had recently been updated, the carpet had stains, the wallpaper was peeling, and the bathroom was outdated other than a newer tiled shower. The hotel rooms did not have adequate lighting in the sleeping area or the bathrooms. The area outside of the room was filthy-the outdoor carpet look ancient and was covered in debris from the trees.
I was at the resort for a convention, and the restaurant did not have enough staff to handle the rushes at lunch and at the end of the night. Oh, and the morning of check out I had items on my bill that the front desk could not explain and the little cafe in the lobby charged me $10 for a latte (Starbucks is less than half of that!). The shuttle service around the resort was great , prompt and available at all times.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank KeriDMI
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I've returned this week from 5 days of the Harry Hopman program at Saddlebrook.
There are lots of reviews on the resort in various places and I'll let the reader turn to those for the 'resort' goer.  My suite was more than adequate.  This review will focus on tennis.
First thoughts:  it would be very difficult to improve on this program if what you are interested in is full immersion tennis for 5 hours a day.  It is challenging, compelling and addictive regardless of your fitness level (disclosure:  age 50, relatively fit, and worn out by the 5 day mark).

STAFF:  headed up by Howard Moore, the staff hails from all corners of the globe and all are superb experts at both the game and instruction of the game.
Howard (England) has been there for better than 25 years, and has boundless energy.  Truly boundless.  He is very excited to do what he does and if you aren't motivated to excel for him, you aren't motivatable
Thai (Vietnam) is an expert on your technique.  He is able to breakdown your stroke (each of them) in pieces and communicate to you what you do, why it's bad and what and how to change.  He is a phenomenal player.  To give you an idea, on day one, the first 3 hour session he fed balls to three of us in various manner and missed a grand total of one feed.  One.  Something like 600-800 balls.... Kind of unfathomable.
Vlad (Cuba) is another great instructor who is very good at picking out your most obscene stroke malfunction and massaging it till he can work on the next most offending part.  He is very affable and fun to drill with.
Shawn (New Jersey) takes the Hopman program to heart.  He will work you as hard as you can go.  Then push you just a little harder.  It matters not how fit you are (or are not) he will challenge you.  He is big on consistency and match type play, and will make you better very quickly.
Mitch (USA) is another young instructor who wants you to do well.  He will spend extra time with you focusing on your biggest needs, and empathizes with  his students well so that they improve on their skills.  He can see well across the court what is happening good and bad and offers good insight.  There are more.  These are the guys with whom I worked.
I cannot imagine a better group of instructors to improve your game.

Facilities:  you will play on clay.  Har-Tru.  They are dragged smooth and clean each morning, and are in fine shape.  The courts have shade, cold water, towels chairs and anything else you may need.  We spent all of our time on one of about 4 courts, there are many, many more if they need them.

Your day:  will start with some very light jogging, then stretching for 5-10 minutes.  Then you will break up in groups based on skill levels.  Mini tennis is typical for 5 minutes then some baseline strokes to warm up.  After that it'll be 2.5+ hours of drills, games (different types that expose different things) and match play.  It is fun fun fun.  And as intense as you want it to be.  You will break for lunch, then back at it for the 2 hour afternoon session.   You will be tired at the end of the day, but fired up about the next day because you're here to get better and you will.

In conclusion, if you want country club light tennis lessons, perhaps another place is your best bet.  You want to work your but off, learn intricacies of strokes you probably didn't know (but are capable ofemulating), then go to Saddlebrook.  You'll be glad.  And I'll be back.

Room Tip: Well, I got an upgrade without asking for it. Off season perhaps. Ask, maybe?
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 8 in Wesley Chapel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75

Been to Saddlebrook Resort Tampa? Share your experiences!