“Great Tennis Program”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wesley Chapel
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Tennis Program”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

5 hours of day with great coaches on beautiful clay courts - paradise for tennis lovers. Drills and instruction were top notch, it's hard to advance in this game but these guys were as good as any I've seen. Very well organized, no hesitation in recommending and we'll be back. Resort is dated but the people were all very nice, no complaints, great beds, apt. was more than adequate. Only complaint was the loud and obnoxious music at the pool on weekends, made it impossible to relax. A really bad idea, this isn't South Beach! Food surprisingly good though the steak house is VERY expensive.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Hebrew first
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

This was my 18th trip to Saddlebrook in a row. Each April I take a group of schoolchildren, families and friends to the resort for world class tennis coaching and a holiday par excellence. It is a wonderful campus with over 40 tennis courts (clay, hard and grass) a pool the size of Belgium, spa, two Arnold Palmer championship golf courses and the beauty of it all is that the children get looked after, can't go anywhere (the resort have their own security force) so it really is an amazing holiday for all concerned.

We have 5 hours of tennis (or golf) coaching for 6 days - with days off in between - and everyone hits more balls than they normally would in a year back in the UK. The coaching ranges from the superb to really good and the atmosphere is relaxed, yet still competitive. I hope that having been for 18 years without a break shows just how much Saddlkebrook means to me and the others I take along. It is an amazing place which I'm sure you won't regret visiting!

Room Tip: Really comfortable accommodation, lovely service.
  • Stayed April 2011
Malvern, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

We went to the Saddlebrook Resort from April 16th to 23nd, 2011, as a family with a 10 yrs old boy. Our goal was to learn ‘serious tennis’ & to spend the time there in the plush green; to learn about the academy & to learn as much as an one week camper can learn from the best in the country & the world.
I can tell you, Saddlebrook did not disappoint me and us in that regards. Tennis in the academy of that quality is expensive. Saddlebrook is affordable. It has a tennis program for the competitive kids/boys/adults 1-wk long campers. These progs are geared with ‘no kid/individual’ left behind’ approach. It’s flexible enough to enroll for a week or 6 days. You can even enroll for a minimum of ½ day. I took a lesson there for a full day too.
At the end of the day, there will be a positive change in your game. There will be a nice feeling about the experience that it’s worthy of your money. Saddlebrook tennis academy is one of the best in the country, who make top ranked ATP players. And still they care for you so much and you learn from the best of the bests in the country/world.
It’s on >800 acres of eye soothing green. It has 2 Golf courses. It’s one of the best golf academies in the country & v highly ranked in the world. But still they care for you & they have the time for you, if you want to learn. They listen to you.
In summary, this is my 3rd resort. I stayed in ocean-side resorts. Those resorts had golf courses & a few tennis courts (not close to Saddlebrook), biclycle trails like Saddlebrook has. I went the other resorts for business tour w/o spending my money.
But I will still rank Saddlebrook on the top, because here I got my money’s worth. They cared for us and for my son. We will be back there again for his tennis-development.

Debashis Ganguly, PhD.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Oxford, Oxfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

We have been to Saddlebrook twice before and this year my son aged 15 returned with a friend to "tennis camp".put into the camp accomodation - somewhat different to where he had stayed with us in the "walking village". . As soon as the other campers arrived and tennis started we never heard from him again. He LOVED every minute even the getting up early. He loved Howard's "hustle guys hustle !" and particularly enjoyed the fitness drill called "death". He made lots of new friends and is longing to return if not in the summer then next year. His tennis has improved beyond recognition giving his older brothers the run around on the court and he clearly had a lot more fun without his parents!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake cluster 2 18th hole
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

The only reason to go here is for the tennis clinics. It is $150 for the three hour morning session or $175 for five hours - three in the morning and two in the afternoon. IN San Diego clinics are $10-$15 for for 1.5 hours and privates are around $50 an hour.

There is a certain arrogance to the staff that is hard to fathom. I guess it flows down from the owner. I do not think it is run by a managment company like Marriott but rather it is an independent company.

There is nothing special about the clinic. There are four clients and one instructor per court. You do mostly drills. About half are composed of games and points which is much more fun. There does not seem to be a system in place. I never got the same instructor twice, there was no plan, no feedback, no progression, Just a different instructor feeding balls with a monotonous attitude. Guess it is eady to get burned out. Management does not seem to get that you need to make it a game for the the INSTRUCTORS as well as the guests. They need to have context where they measure and improve themselves as well as the guest., THink of EMyth for tennis.

I was the best in my group for two days and when I finally asked my instructor he said I was in the wrong group and he got me moved the next day, I liked that he cared, I would have liked it better if they had an internal evaluation and they made adjustments mid clinic at the break, I had hoped they would have a more systemic approach - not the hit and miss one I saw.

We palyed golf. One of the staff told us to make a tee time on the internet and not at the golf shop. So much for a company providing the best available rate? I tried to get the internet rate from the golf shop but they sent me back to my room to book the cheaper $75 green fee on the internet.

The other aspects of the place are ok, Sort of an average florida condo rental experience.

We paid $350 a night plus parking and taxes for a two bedroom 2 bath condo. We were charged $24 a day for a Spring Special which may have been for the breakfast vouchers we never used.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank CornellHotelie1977
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

Stayed at Saddlebrook from April 5 through 8th. Based on their internet site it seemed like a great reasort. I was attending a sales conference and decided to take my wife along so she could enjoy the amenities. What a mistake it was!!!!

Saddlebrooks isn't a "hotel". Instead the rooms are campus style and remind me of low cost apartments. The grounds are lovely and I'm sure the golf courses are excellent, but it wasn't my destiny to play. However, I'll not be coming back to find out.

As a business traveller, first and foremost I need internet access. You'd think reliable wired or wireless is a given at any facility charging these prices. Well, after 6 calls to service to complain about the wireless access point being down, I gave up. Don't count on checking your email. And if you're here for a vacation and it rains, don't count on the kids playing on-line. Or doing anything on-line. The technology here doesn't work and the facility owners aren't doing anything about it.

If you want to watch TV, I hope you like a 3x4 CRT television that probably looked good in 1996. Dont count on hooking up a gaming system, computer or iPad to the TV. You can't. And don't count on a clear, sharp picture wiht accurate colors (everything was orange on mine), HBO or pay per view to entertain you. You won't find it here.

Enjoy the room service. It takes an hour to get something delivered. And two cheeseburgers, a cup of chowder, a diet coke (10 ounce) and a piece of chocolate cake will set you back $60. But rest knowing they'll have included a 20% gratuity in the tab.

Go to one of the bars for a cocktail or one of the restaurants for a meal and you'll get the same built-in gratuity. 20% is added to everything. And if you're a gourmet and love food - order out! This kitchen is put to shame by most any diner. You can do better at Bob Evans.

Bring your walking shoes, you can't get up and get coffee because of the campus style layout. Long walks for anything.

The room decor is classic 90's earth tones complete with stained carpets and uninspired furniture selections. I'm sure this was tre chic 20 years ago.

There's not a chance I'll come back here, ever. Life is too short.

Room Tip: To get the best room, call Hilton or Marritott
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank Cornmuse
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights after family member attended a conference. The resort is vast and well kept. It must have been spectacular in the 70's and 80's, and is still very pleasant. Conference amenities were great. Did not play golf nor tennis, but it looked like a great place do to that. Also, because of bad weather, we did not get a chance to use to pools, but they looked amazing.
We stayed in a 2-bedroom condo, which was tastefully decorated and clean. The beds are Simmons Beautyrest and are amazing! Bathrooms were somewhat dated, but clean. Housekeeping did a nice job. No musty or strange odor in room - very happy about that.
The fountain outside our window was noisy, but was turned off at 11:00 pm.
Dining options are somewhat limited. There is one main restaurant that has two parts - the sit-down part and a lounge. You can also request outside seating. Food was ok. Service ok. There is also a fine dining room, very fancy looking, but we did not eat there.
Staff was very nice.
There was heavy rain during our stay and the resort grounds flood - to the point that you are trapped in your room. We had to be "rescued" by a golf cart to leave the room.
The valet was always prompt when we called in advance to have our car ready. I would recommend that instead of waiting for your car.
Overall, a good stay. Wish the weather was better, but the room was big and comfy enough to stay in and enjoy the family. We even cooked a few meals in the kitchen. There are two publix grocery stores in close proximity - one just down the street from the resort.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 8 in Wesley Chapel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75

Been to Saddlebrook Resort Tampa? Share your experiences!