“Front desk staff unavailable”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Weeki Wachee
Chicago, Illinois
“Front desk staff unavailable”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I arrived at this hotel and found the lobby completely empty of staff at about 6:30pm. I was wary of any hotel that would leave the front desk unstaffed for any amount of time. This raises security and guest service questions. I did decide to stay and was not surprised that when I called the front desk for a wake up call it took 4 calls an half an hour to get through to someone. I was also not surprised that my wake up call never came. My biggest concerns came from the fact that the hotel does not have a credit card machine and they use an old fashion hard copy imprint for your amenities deposit. I was very concerned that they stored these in a file o fax right buy the check in counter and easily reachable by anyone over the desk. This coupled with the fact that the desk is often left unmanned is a recipe for disaster. One criminally minded person reaching over and grabbing the file o fax could easily ruin the vacation for every family in the hotel.
I contacted the manager/owner of the hotel after the desk clerk refused to return the hard copy to me after verifying that there were no additional charges or damages to the room. I asked him why the desk was so often left unattended. He said, and I quote. " this is not a four star resort. We don't have a full staff of front desk clerks available 24/7. We are a small motel with only 1 person working after three pm. Their duties include assisting guests with problems in their rooms, delivering towel and working in the back office. You cannot tell me how to run my business". When I asked him about the lack of security in regards to protecting guest privacy and identity he said, and I quote again. " I have a security camera and it is very easy to find out where someone is using a stolen credit card so there was really no reason to worry". He also informed me the the keeps our credit card hard copy imprints for 6 months after the guest checks out.
So if you chose to stay here know that it would be ridiculously east for a thief to get your credit card info. The manager feels this is not a problem because it would be easy to track these thieves after they take the card and that a hard imprint of your card will be floating around that hotel for six months. A thief could end your vacation by maxing your card in a minute but rest assured that you'll be able to know where that thief likes to shop. Also know that you can expect to not be able to reach the desk immediately should you have the temerity to need help with something and that the owner feels that this is perfectly acceptable. But worse is if, God forbid, someone in your family has an emergency and they need to call you at the hotel that there is a better then even chance the there will be no one there to answer the main hotel line and transfer this emergency call to you. I do not know where the owner of this hotel is from or what that country's service standards are but I assure you as a former hotel employee and a frequent traveler that those standards a not on par with the standards I know to be in place here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Michael D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Somers Point, New Jersey
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Having stayed at several Quality Inns over the past week, this one was the best. Location was great and the service was on par. Good breakfast with 3 meats to choose from as well as the standard fare of cereal and waffles. No problem checking in or out perhaps due to using Choice Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in rear are more quiet and there is no elevator to the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
North Augusta, South Carolina
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This hotel is a good place to stay-over for a night or two. The rooms are comfortable, but, could stand new carpeting/flooring (and that was the only minor problem that I noticed). The staff here is great, all very friendly and hardworking. This is a good location, practically right across the street to Weeki Wachee State Park (with the Newton Perry Mermaid Theater!). Bayport and Hernando beach are a quick drive from here, a very scenic tour. There are plenty of restaurants and stores nearby, many within walking distance, for all of your needs.

Room Tip: Our room was on the back of the building, away from the highway, very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wmjackson
Callahan, Florida
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I made a reservation online a few days before we went. Quick checkin and check out. Stayed for two nights. Great staff, very friendly and helpfully. Room was very clean. Beds were very comfortable. Great value and close to the springs. Many restaurants near by down the road in Springhill. Would definitely stay again!

Stayed March 2014
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The address for this hotel did not show up on our GPS, but we did end up finding it. Unfortunately, after driving 14 hours, we were not able to stay here for our spring break week as planned because the hotel staff said they did not receive or have any confirmation of receiving our reservation made 2 months in advance through Hotels.com. The hotel was completely booked, and they could not accommodate us or recommend any other hotels. They did allow us to use their phone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2014

It showed up on our GPS as a Best Western but had recently changed over to a Quality Inn. Got a great rate just as a walk-in and took a room with a jacuzzi because I'd twisted my ankle a bit during a nature hike and figured the water jets would be good. It's a little difficult to get into as there's construction on Highway 50 but if you can't navigate around a couple of barricades, you shouldn't be driving - it's no biggie.

Note - ** somewhat graphic description follows**

Had the instance where, after a long day of driving, I had to use the um, "facilities" and had the heart-stopping moment when, after the flush, the water is running into the bowl but nothing is going out. "Oh NOOOO!!" I quickly grabbed the wastebasket and scooped out some of the water from the bowl before it completely overflowed and contaminated the entire tiled bathroom - just a bit of water escaped. Whew, disaster averted.

I called the desk and the lady was great. She apologized and explained that she was alone and would it be okay if she gave me a plunger as there was no maintenance guy on duty. We were fine with that so I went and got the plunger and asked for a few extra towels to sop up the water. I also suggested that she alert housekeeping to what happened as they really should know in advance, even if there was no major issue.

Hey, I've used a plunger before - no problem. I almost said to the lady, "(you know what) happens," but refrained. Anyway, she was very apologetic and knocked a good chunk off our room rate, which was fine with us. She offered to switch rooms but we said it wasn't necessary. If we couldn't fix the toilet, we would have taken her up on the offer but we had no further issues with it.

The room was spacious, the jaccuzzi was on a raised area and the whole setup reeked of luxury and upscale accommodations. We were very pleased and would have still been pleased at the original rate.

When you travel, sometimes unexpected things occur and it's how the staff deals with those problems that makes or breaks customer service. This place gets full marks with us and we'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you like jaccuzzis, they have 'em.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boone8
Flushing, Michigan
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This hotel used to be a Best Western. We were visiting friends in the area and spent 2 nights here. It was a little tricky getting in as Cortez Blvd is being worked on but it was worth the effort. The staff gave us some tips on how to get around a little easier and it really helped. The room was comfortable and quieter than I expected being on a busy road. We had a ground floor room with parking at our door, however we had to walk a couple units down to get around the shrubbery out front. The breakfast was good and there were eggs and sausage one morning along with the other standard hotel breakfast items. The beds were comfortable. But it was the staff at the desk when we checked in made our stay extra special.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
#3 of 4 in Spring Hill
Holiday Inn Express Brooksville West
Homewood Suites by Hilton Tampa-Port Richey
Hampton Inn & Suites Port Richey

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!