“Tea for Two”

Magnolia Terrace Tea Room
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband and I visited Magnolia Terrace Tea Room while visiting family in nearby Spring Hill. I was excited to find a tea room so close! I had hoped, given that the place claimed to be a bistro also, that my husband would find menu items to his liking, as I drag him to many a tea room, and it's not really his thing. He chose, however, to have the high tea option with me. I was disappointed to see a lack of cleanliness (ant-filled sugar bowls, which clearly just get topped off and passed along to the next patron). The food was fine. Not bad, just fine. At a tea room, I tend to expect better than fine. The one staff person who seemed to be there was very friendly, but scarce. I did enjoy perusing the assortment of teas and tea things offered for sale. Unfortunately, I will not be back, despite the tea room's proximity to family and my love of tea.

1  Thank Kirsten C
There are newer reviews for Magnolia Terrace Tea Room

Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife wanted to eat here. When we entered, I sort of stopped dead in my tracks. I was the only man in the restaurant. My wife enjoyed the little sandwiches and especially the tea. I would have liked something more substantial, but went along for the ride. Service was very slow, but they made up for it by offering us complementary deserts. My wife really did enjoy this place.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

As a Brit and belonging to a British ladies club that peruses the restaurants in the area that try to provide an authentic experience of tea time in our native country, there were both goods and bads during this experience. The room is bright and the music is perfect (calm and ethereal), the tables are lovely set. We ordered our tea, which was good but did not stay hot for long; I love hot tea. The waiter was young with faded jeans and holes in his ears you could see through..... not my idea of a tea house server. No extra tea was offered, and although there were only three tables filled we seemed to have a delay of our meal. We got the soup which was fair, then waited a long while for our tea sandwiches and tea desserts, while tea got cold. Then a surprise quiche was presented. It was huge but dry and bready, not eggy. Don't know what kind of quiche it was but wasn't looking for something with meat in it, and never was told its contents. The tea sandwiches were lovely.... a very pleasant lady came out and described each sandwich which was a good plus for us. Again, these were great!! Tea desserts were also quite nice and we brought most of these home for another day. Our total evaluation would be.......... a nice experience, not the best service or tea house waiter-type one would like, pleasant atmosphere, but not a place we'd refer to our other Brit friends nor would we want to visit again.

1  Thank Linda K
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I have to say that I don't think the last unkind review was warranted at all. My daughter and I visited the Magnolia Terrace a few weeks ago and had a really nice time. It was not the fanciest tearoom we have ever been to, but I thought they did a really nice job. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We were amazed at the extensive menu that included both English and Australian dishes. We both had high tea which was $16.95 (a decent price) which included soup in a cute tea cup, finger sandwiches, a variety of desserts and of course a pot of tea. Some of the pro's: nice presentation, loved the framed tea cups on the wall and the tea display, friendly server and a huge menu including a list of teas. Cons: location in a strip plaza near a liquor store, signs on door about Groupon coupons (made me a bit disappointed knowing that others were using a coupon and I was paying full price), and I would have preferred my tea to be loose as opposed to a tea bag. Overall, I think this tearoom does a good job. They have worked hard to make you forget about the strip plaza once you walk through the doors!

1  Thank flmom84
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We came back and were sorry we did. Not only was the meal so skimpy we were totally shocked, the cost had skyrocketed from last year. The photo below shows tea for two plus a cream tea. We had sandwich STRIPS with such a skimpy amount of filling we could only taste bread. For 8 sandwich strips. (2 are equivalent to 1/2 a sandwich without crusts) 2 teacups of soup, 4 bite size scones with a dollop of whipped cream.2 chocolate strawberries, 2 teeny tiny truffles and 2 thimble sized cupcakes, as small as a strawberry. Plus tea. The cost was a shocking $58.00.

Last year we had twice the portions and each portion was larger and the cost was $24.00.

3  Thank Jeanniemaries1