“Pleasant surprise just minutes from Gainesville”

BEST WESTERN Waldo Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waldo
Pensacola, Florida
“Pleasant surprise just minutes from Gainesville”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

My husband and I were working in Gainesville for the week. We didn't have many hotel choices under our "approved" hotel list with our company. This hotel was on the list and we decided to give it a try. We were pleasantly surprised at how nice the staff and accommodations were. Upon check-in we decided to go look at our room before unpacking our car just to make sure we wanted to stay here. The room was just a normal size hotel room - not to small or very big but sufficient for the two of us. It was clean and included a refrigerator and microwave. Lexi, the desk clerk who checked us in was just a bubbly friendly gal. She let us know that Waldo is a speed trap and to watch our speed and that the town shuts down early at night so if we wanted to get gas or something to eat we needed to do it before 9:00 or 10:00 at night. She was right on the money! We could look out our window any time of the day and see a policeman who had somebody pulled over. There was ALWAYS a policeman running radar as you entered the town. We left for work at 4:00 am and there was a policeman sitting in the median. Just watch your speed coming through town.

The hotel had a pool with 2 grills which we utilized one evening when we invited friends over for a BBQ. We were chased inside by the rain but we were able to set up our "party" in the breakfast room and we had a lovely time! There were not too many people staying at the hotel so it was quiet all week. With friendly staff, clean accommodations and excellent price range this is definitely somewhere I would stay again.

On a side note I can't comment on the free breakfast because we left for work too early every day. They did have yogurt in a refrigerator though which we grabbed every morning on our way out the door.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

We were on US Hwy 301 traveling toward Gainsville,Fl. and hotel accommodations were looking pretty bleak when my sister spotted the Sleep Inn and Suites sign. It looked better than anything we had seen in the last hour. We stopped and were pleasantly surprised by how new everything looked. We booked a room for the night and when we got to our room was once again surprised by how nicely our room was finished. The beds were very comfortable and the whole place was quiet. All of the personnel were very friendly and helpful. They recommended a Bar-b-que restaurant whose food turned out to be totally delicious, they even stayed open late and fixed out dinner for us after closing time. This is a great place to stop and so cheap.

Room Tip: Not sure! Our room was on second floor overlooking parking lot and it was very nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda K
Brookings, South Dakota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Checked in yesterday for a three night stay that I had pre booked. Elevator broken so lugged luggage up stairs. First room had chunks of stuff left on carpet., no coffee, brown ice in small refrig but bedding looked good, when I put my laptop out on desk in a sticky spot I called down to Gary to get another cleaner room. I went down to the front desk picked up keys for another room. Second room same crap all over the carpet. When I pulled back the sheets to look at the bed there was blood on the mattress pad. No way!! called downstairs and Gary said he would be up with another key. At this point if I wasn't so tired I would have moved on. Gary arrives and I show him the sheets and bed and ask him if he would think that looked clean. He apologized again and we went together to look at the third room. When we walked in Gary said looks like the carpet hasn't been vacuumed here either. I looked at bed and it looked clean, told him I would be checking out tomorrow. Refrig had not been wiped out. Needless to say got no sleep yuck. When I called down this morning Gary said the room was complimentary. Hope they get a better vacuum and someone to actually clean the rooms. Gross!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank KariF642
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

The staff is friendly, but that's where the good begins and ends. Had left over hair everywhere when I arrived at my room, only 1 towel per night/day, never changed the sheets, ac didn't work properly overall I would say gross doesn't even begin to describe this hotel. I am confident when I say I don't think they ever cleaned my room!! Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014
Valrico, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Arrived after booking on Priceline.com for 2/14/2014 for 1 night. at checkin was told they had no reservation on record for me. I was "the 5th person to come in and have no record of a reservation." But--- they could give me a room aanyway. The desk clerk was juggling several guests at the desk and various complaints that the AC/heat wasn't working; no hot water; maintenance man was "on his way." I informed her that we would just go elsewhere and be on our way. I confirmed with her that I would NOT be charged and she assured me no. (If they didn't even have a reservation then how could they???)
Imagine my surprise when I reviewed my account and found I had been charged on 2/19 AND 2/20 for a total of $221- that's 3 nights!!! I contacted Priceline and was referred back to the hotel. I explained the situation and after holding for about 30 minutes, they found their
statements and cancelled the transactions. Have to wait 1-2 business days to see my $$ back in my account which I will monitor very closely.
As for the physical state of the facility- I have no opinion, but the experience puts it in the poor range for me.

Stayed February 2014
Vienna, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of nowhere, although you can get to Gainesville (does that count as not being "nowhere?") in 20-25 minutes, depending on where you are going in the town. The front desk staff were very friendly, as were the room cleaning staff. My room was clean and not cramped, and there were plenty of towels. Microwave and fridge both worked. But the icemaker 2 doors down made a LOT of noise for most of the night, and I did not find the bed comfortable. Other than the icemaker, the hotel was quiet. Sheets were clean, but a bit thin. I did not use the TV, so I can't speak to the number of channels. The hotel itself had a distinct scent of cleaning products, which I suppose beats experiencing the scent of things that need to have cleaning products applied to them. It is Florida, so humidity and the related smell of damp carpet is somewhat inevitable, I suppose. Breakfast was completely undistinguished and (fortunately) forgettable. My advice would be to pack food for breakfast, and don't count on hitting a nearby grocery store for supplies, since there aren't any. (The Walmart is about 8 miles away, and it is pretty minimal.)

Stunning views of the Sunoco gas station and defunct Arbys on one side, and a swamp pond on the other. Oh, yes, and make sure you don't go even 1 MPH over the speed limit. There were a huge number of speed traps on 301/24. The hotel staff was very helpful in pointing this out when we checked in, so we did not get nailed, although we saw plenty of others on the side of the road who were not as fortunate.

In sum, it's a relatively new property, with friendly staff, and the types of amenities that you would expect from a hotel charging less than $100 per night - almost none. Location is poor and breakfast was sad. But my room was clean, with no visible bugs, either, so I count that as a plus.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
milliegirl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

On October 4, 2012, my two sisters and myself stayed at the Sleep Inn in Waldo, Florida because it was the closest hotel to where my Aunt lived in Hawthorne, Florida. We were actually going to a wedding in Gainesville. We should have stayed in Gainsville. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. When we got to the hotel, they went up on the price for Saturday night. We had the rooms for Oct. 4 and Oct. 5. My sister from California decided to go so I called down there and the lady that answered the phone told me that we could get the same rate for Saturday as we had for Thursday and Friday. When we arrived the man at the desk had changed the amount for Sat. night from $89 to $134.00 and no one would change it. A very nice lady was at the desk on Saturday night, Oct. 7 and she told me that the lady who gave me that price no longer worked there. The first room they gave us had a leak someplace. They put us in another and although the room looked okay, the bathroom was awful. We had to get someone in there two times to clean it. Mold was on the shower curtin and someone apparently and thrown up in the floor and some of it had hit the cabinet and dried up. The swimming pool was not fit to swim in at all. There are also speed traps all over the place. Never going to stay there again.

Room Tip: If you need to go to that area in Florida, I would recommend staying in Gainsville.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank milliegirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waldo
BEST WESTERN Starke
Baymont Inn & Suites Gainesville
Comfort Inn University
Comfort Inn University
#4 of 44 in Gainesville

Been to BEST WESTERN Waldo Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!