“A wonderful change from the highway norm.”

Wakulla Springs Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wakulla Springs
Reviewed June 12, 2009

Can only agree with most of the positive reviews. I believe we also had the help of the very nice park employee lady who was there in the evening. Truly enjoyed the dining room. Same for the boat tour. We felt that we were immersed in the true Florida and surrounded by nature. Peaceful.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rt66tbird

Reviewed May 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed a couple of nights here. We thought it a very good value, even though this lodge does not have things we take for granted. They don't have televisions or clock/radios in the rooms, just one big screen TV in the lobby. But the setting is next to a fresh water spring (69 degrees year round), they have a restaurant serving 3 meals a day (good thing, you have to drive a half hour to get to Tallahassee, the biggest city in the area), and the rooms are clean and all have bathrooms (and air conditioning). This is the Florida's only state park hotel, and once the springs are closed to the public (before 9:30AM and after 7:30PM), it's just the guests and the people living it up at the restaurant. Really beautiful natural setting, lots of trails through the woods, boat tours on the river (no canoeing or kayaking though). A lot of money went into the building, and it seems to have been nicely maintained, perhaps a little frayed around the edges, but nothing off-putting. Very quiet and peaceful.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SvenskaGirl
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We really loved this lodge. We (my husband and I) thought the character, history, furnishings, ambience were very unique and wonderful. The price, off-season was affordable too. They had a package that included one-night stay, dinner and boat tour for two.
Our room faced the courtyard which we liked. The rooms facing the water were 30.00 more but this was nice for the price. Our room was very clean, simple, nice, quality- period furnishings, marble floors and comfortable. You felt as though you were back in time. No TV which was wonderful. We read books for a change.
The lobby was amazing. So much history, marble floors, monstrous firpleace that the staff kept stoked all night, marble checker table, lovely tile around the arches, I could keep going.
Beautiful view.
We enjoyed walking down to the beach and climbing up the two-story diving platform and actually saw many manatees right below us. We also saw alligators and the "jumping" mullet fish.
Dinner was great, prime rib as big as a roast. Breakfast was fine too.
We also enjoyed the 45 min. river boat tour. What a bargain!!! We saw so many alligators, manatees and birds of all kind.
The first couple of Tarzan movies were filmed here and "The Creature from the Black Lagoon".
If you want to stay somewhere filled with history and charm and feel like you were back in time at a very reasonable price, try this lodge. We can't wait to go back next year as we travel down to Florida.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank northernite
Reviewed November 8, 2008

Disclosure: I like eclectic places and am attracted to interesting, historic or off-the-beaten-path locations. I'm not too fussy.

OVERVIEW: This was probably a really fine place to stay in its day. It's interesting for its history and natural setting, however calling this accommodation a "Lodge" is stretching the truth. It's a modest hotel without a great deal of amenities and its character is sadly quite faded.

LOCATION: Pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The closest sizable town (besides Tallahassee 15 miles away) is Crawfordville, which has basic services. I guess what I'm saying is, expect to get to Wakulla and not find much in the way of shopping or dining. The scenery is lovely and is the main draw.

HOTEL: Sparse on decor and, unfortunately, on ambience. I can see where this was probably a 'nice' place to visit many years ago, but it's just 'ok' now. The building itself is very attractive and has a lot of potential. It pains me to have to say that, though well-maintained, it's mostly charmless.

ROOM: I had a queen room (#30) on the front of the building (not water facing). The room was large, had all the things you'd need and was very clean. There's no TV or internet, so bring a good book and plan to just relax. Had marble floors in my room which were lovely, but really cold on the feet. Bathtub was big enough to soak in. Bed was fine, but others may find it either 'lumpy' or 'hard' if you're picky. I sorta felt like I was staying in the guest room at my grandmother's house (if that paints any sort of picture for you).

PARK: The park is nice and worth a day trip on its own even if you don't stay at the lodge. I found the water too cold for a swim (late-Ocotber), but it was amazingly clear and the setting was tranquil. I can see where families would really like this place in-season.

RECOMMENDATIONS: If you like quirky or historic places and aren't high-maintenance, you'd probably like this place. I liked it even though it didn't quite meet my expectations. If you require more of a Holiday Inn sort of place, you're better off just visiting the park and staying elsewhere in Tallahassee.

BOOKING: $108 booked directly through the Lodge via a phone call.

TIP: Water facing rooms are numbers 39, 37, 35, 33, 31, 29, 100. See the photo I took of the layout for more information.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
5  Thank LagunaGrrl
Reviewed September 8, 2008

We stayed her for two nights. I must say I love historic buildings and this fit the bill.

Our room had two beds in it, and was fair size. Our view was not over the springs but over the trails. We had marble floor throughout the room. Our furnishings seemed to all be from the 1930's, but not the mattress!

The lodge was built in the 1930's and if you look you will find lovely things throughout the lodge. Such as the painted ceilings, the artist had been brought in from overseas and they certainly reflect that in their artistry. Marble floors exist through out the building, you can sit in the lobby and if you are lucky listen to someone pick out a tune on the lovely baby grand. Always seems to be at one musically gifted person while we are there.
There is a massive fireplace in the lobby that burns during the winter, it is so huge a grown man could walk into it, if he wanted.

I must say this though, the food at the restaurant was not up to standards as the last time. Our group of ten was not happy. I had the scallops/shrimps plate and was not happy. Only one who enjoyed their dinner was the steak dinner. When we went a few years ago, the food was fabulous. So we hope they fire the cook, and bring someone who knows what they are doing. But the drive back to town is shorty and Tallahassee has an abundance of well run restaurants.

This is really a relaxing lodge, and worth a day or two of your time, I gaurantee you your children will thank you for visiting. My children love it here.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank OrnerytoYOU
Reviewed April 23, 2008

We spent two nights at the lodge as part of my sister's wedding celebration. The lodge staff, for the most part, was friendly and helpful, especially the overnight member of the park service (I don't know if I'm allowed to mention her by name - but her sense of humor and helpfulness was very much appreciated!).

The lodge was built in 1937 and still has many of the original architectural details. It is also aging, and in some areas not as gracefully as in others. We knew in advance that there is not wireless internet or televisions in the room - which from my perspective is just fine. I packed my son's mini-DVD player and he was quite happy.

I've been visiting this park for over 30 years, but this was our first time staying at the lodge. I hope to return as an overnight guest in the future.

One of the highlights of this visit, aside from the wedding, was our Sunday morning jungle cruise. Though we were told at check-in that it would likely be late May before they ran Glass-bottom boat tours, they made the decision on Saturday morning that the spring was clear enough. Unfortunately wedding activities prevented that ride. On the jungle cruise, our ranger was so excited about the clarity of the water that we lingered over the spring and saw the Mastadon bones! A first for me in quite a few years as our previous visits have been on dark-water days.

If you are looking for a piece of Florida history, and enjoy nature, this is a great lodge at which to stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank CorgiNole
Reviewed February 23, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. The lodge is beautiful and lives up to the advertising. We made our reservations late and the only room available had two smaller beds and lacked a view of the spring. However, there are several trails through the area and the boat tour of the river is excellent.

The food in the dining room was very good. We enjoyed the Valentine's Buffet on Saturday night. However, the food was not really hot.

Our only other complaints about the lodge were 1) that the full size bed in our room (#41) has very uncomfortable. It had a large bow in the middle; and 2) the stairs outside are not well lit and I twisted my ankle. Lodge staff did not seem very interested in my story when we reported this.

Sadly, due to several factors, the spring was not very clear so the glass bottom boats were not running. They explained that they are now typically only running for a few months in the spring when visability is at its best.

The lodge can be an excellent place to stay if you enjoy the outdoors and appreciate beautiful architecture.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Best Western Plus Tallahassee North Hotel
Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol
Four Points by Sheraton Tallahassee Downtown
SpringHill Suites Tallahassee Central

Been to Wakulla Springs Lodge? Share your experiences!