“Stay away from first floor Oceanfront”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vero Beach - Oceanside
Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in Vero Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 15, 2006

I won a 5 night charity auction for the Holiday Inn in Vero Beach and we called to see if we could use it Spring Break (big mistake). Because we have family in Vero and because we usually stay at Disney Vero, we assumed that the newly refurbished Holiday Inn would be up to par with other Holiday Inn's...IT WASN'T.

First, we asked for a second floor hotel room (knowing that the first floors got flooded by the hurricanes)...and we had to wait 24 hours to get it even though we reserved one.

Secondly, the children woke up screaming in the night because bugs were biting them...it turns out that the grill on the AC was loose and the unit was full of bugs...but we couldn't sleep after that because I wasn't sure if it was spiders or mosquitos or sanfleas or what was biting the children.

Thirdly the hotel front desk was very un-apologetic and even tried to tell us that citrus canker bugs were what were swarming us...(there is no such thing as a citrus canker bug)...

Anyhow, for the same amount of $$$, go to Disney Vero for a nice room on the ocean nearby. A lot of the other hotels are still dark, dingy and small...especially for what they are charging.

Stay away from the first floor units...

4  Thank FLarchitect

Reviewed January 16, 2006

I mentioned my experiences in this hotel in my review of another, but I'll repeat the theme here for the benefit of TripAdvisor readers.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn because it was all we could find in Vero, meaning that it is the only 'chain' hotel. We thought it was the biggest waste of beachfront property we'd seen: the only way to see the beach was to pay $400 a night, as not even the pool area or grounds had a view. $400 for the Holiday Inn is obscene.

Thankfully we ventured next door to the Reef Ocean resort, where an oceanfront suite was HALF the H.I.'s price, and the room was brand new and neat as a pin in 2005 (the Reef rennovated after the hurricane, whereas the Holiday Inn apparently painted over its damaged, moldy rooms).

Best of all, the Reef, being such a well-kept secret, was mostly empty when the Holiday Inn was bursting at the seams full! If you want a quiet vacation in a peaceful oceanfront town, avoid the crowds here and check in next door.

• Stayed: January 2006
14  Thank nsequitur
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 10, 2006

We accidentally left a teddy bear on the bed. This bear had been with us for 20 years (given by a father who has passed away). We called the same day to ask if they had found it. The front desk who has no access to lost and found assured us that people leave such items all the time, and it would likely be with lost and found. In the morning, we called housekeeping who has access to lost and found. They remembered exactly and told us they THREW THE BEAR AWAY, and the dumpster was emptied the night before!!!
The room was less than mediocre and the internet did not work. Of all Holiday Inns, it's one of the bad ones even without the bear incident. Reluctantly at the time, we had to stay there due to an emergency, and WILL NEVER AGAIN!! We have received phone calls from hotels about lesser itmes left behind.

Stayed: December 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 26, 2005

Stayed 1 Saturday night for business and really enjoyed it. Typical room, but oceanside so I had easy access to the beach and could watch the waves crash up onto the beach from my room. Band played until midnight at the bar and could be heard by all the rooms on that side of the hotel, so if you're an early to bed type it might not be the right choice, (I went down and had a beer and did some people watching). Good times. Service was adequate, restaurant was decent, wireless internet access. Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank docrok
A TripAdvisor Member
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 19, 2005

I had an ocean view room for a very reasonable rate. With the devastating effects of last years hurricanes, there were limited choices for a hotel and this was a very nice place to stay. The room had a lovely balcony and the room was clean and well decorated. I thought it a very nice place to stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 11, 2005

I booked an oceanfront suite at the Holiday Inn for my family. It was expensive, $305 per night, but we wanted to be right on the beach so we figured it would be worth it. Please spare yourself the terrible experience and stay elsewhere! The room was dirty upon arrival, complete with someone's leftover soap still in the shower! The refrigerator was dirty and still had stuff in it from the previous guest. Everything in the room looked old and dirty. There was so much noise outside that it kept me and my infant son awake until 2:00 am! The noise started again at 6:00 am. During the four hours that I might have been able to sleep I was kept awake by the gross smell of my sheets. The bed smelled like mold! The bed was also terribly uncomfortable. After a sleepless night we left as soon as we could in the morning and luckily were able to find somewhere else to stay for our vacation. I can not believe what the Holiday Inn charges for this dump! My experience was so bad that I still feel traumatized!

22  Thank NJTravels
Reviewed July 12, 2004

We stayed at the Holiday Inn July 9 and 10, 2004, to attend a wedding of a family member in Vero Beach. We were greeted upon our arrival with two free complimentary drink tickets for Mulligans, the restaurant on site, and we found our oceanfront room to be large and very well maintained. We had a very pleasant visit. The room was very dark and quiet at night (something my husband appreciated greatly). We ate dinner at Mulligans and lunch again there the following day and found the restaurant to be quiet good. No complaints. We will be back again.

7  Thank Playdi2