“Not as good as first visit”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Vero Beach-I-95
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Vero Beach
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Not as good as first visit”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was a return visit, we spent 3 nights here in August and it was not as good as experience as last August's stay. On checking in the person on reception was not at all friendly, it seemed as we were a disturbance to what she was doing. Couple of times we asked reception questions and there were not friendly or helpful.
The room looked very dark and dowdy, the wallpaper border was hanging off the wall. The towels in the bathroom could do with being renewed as not very thick.
Breakfast is OK with good selection of items.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Scott D, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Vero Beach-I-95, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback on our property. This is a great learning tool for our staff. We are in the process of removing each room’s wall boarder as well as re-painting all of our guest rooms and adding beautiful new artwork. We will continue to improve thru training and our product upgrades!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Orlando, Florida, USA
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I recently spent 2 nights at the Country Inn & Suites in Vero Beach, Florida. We generally try to stay at this chain whenever we travel in Florida because we've had such good experiences in the past. Unfortunately, this visit did not live up to par. We belong to Club Carlson Hotel Reward System, and have accumulated a lot of points which we wanted to apply towards our bill. The points did, in fact, reduce our costs quite a bit. However, we were left wondering whether we were given this particular room because we were using a combination of points and cash or are all the rooms the same.

Check-in was fine and we were happy to get a first floor room. Yet, upon entering the room, my wife noticed a number of issues. First, there was a musty odor in the room. We attributed that to the AC being set on low, so we raised it to a high-cool. The odor improved slightly. Then, my wife noticed that the bathroom lighting fixture was very dusty, as if it had not been cleaned in a long time. I had to go to the front desk to get a light bulb to replace one which had burned out in a lamp next to the bed. The bed, a king-size, was disappointingly lumpy. The bed was also dressed in a heavy quilt, a dust collector which is outdated in most hotels. In addition, the flat screen TV had a very poor picture, and the Wi-Fi internet was intermittent, at best; I was constantly kicked off applications when using my IPad. This might be due to the Direct TV they use; regardless, the system was very poor.

Now, on to the food. We had 2 breakfasts there, and were very disappointed. Other CI & Suites have provided quality food. Not this one. The eggs were silver-dollar sized and appeared to be microwaved from precooked frozen eggs. Very unappetizing. The oatmeal was runny. The only good solid food was the make-your-own waffles. The bagels were pre-packaged in cellophane, and on the second morning, the orange juice was watery and tasted like Tang!

Perhaps this hotel needs some tweaking and it might improve. We were not happy with our stay since we have had good experiences in the past with Country Inn & Suites.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John A
Norway
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a night on our way to Orlando...
It was a nice hotel, beds ok and breakfast was fine.
I love the touch of the rockers out front of the hotel...We sat outside talking to this old man from Alabama and he was a hoot to talk to.
If you are into shopping...the outlets are just a 2 min. walk from the hotel and there are bargains to be had there :)
I give it 5 stars!

Room Tip: To be honest...I don't think there is a bad room here...we stayed at the back where the highway...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Scott D, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Vero Beach-I-95, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank You very much for the great comments. As a staff we all need to work hard to make it work great for you, our gusts. Our staff goes above an beyond as you can see. We always have room for improvement!
Ranst
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Nice hotel, the lady at the reception was very helpful in finding us a good place to eat.
Rooms are spacious but I thought the cleaning should be better.
Good value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Snellville, Georgia
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights and was very surprised at how much was offered for the price. It was an excellent experience. The lobby was comfortable , breakfasts were good, hotel staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean and spacious. I will definitely stay again. The only negative was the pool is small...but it was clean and we did enjoy it.
I told the staff to pass on my opinion that signage is poor. (It is right next to Hampton Inn)

Room Tip: Request a room in the quiet area of the hotel. 3rd floor of this hotel has great views of trees.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Vero Beach-I-95, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank You very much for the great comments! We have been hard at work at the property and it’s starting to show. We just received our 2011 Presidents Award trophy for the top 10% of all Country Inn’s. The staff has been a key to our success, and they continue to shine at our property.
Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

We were moving from vero to alabama. We stayed here as we were packing our house. It was wonderful. The beds were the best. My son loved the pool and i loved the idea that the whole stay was safe and uneventful. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We booked this hotel because we are relocating to the area. To reduce our total costs, we chose this hotel above the others nearby because they accept pets. Under "services" on their website, it said that they waive the $25 pet fee. We thought this would be a great savings for us since we would not need to put our pet in a kennel. Upon check in, my husband was told that in order for the fee to be waived that we would need to book through them and pay the full price. The site only said to call if we had questions and we did call to ask if we could book on a discounted website instead of through them. We were told it was not a problem. We were also told that we did not specify that we were bringing a pet, which we did in the comment section on the booking website. My husband asked the clerk how that was our fault.

They did honor the waiving of the fee but not without a hassle and we did not get a doggie gift bag. What is bothersome is that the price we paid was $5 less than the hotels online nondiscounted price and we still had the hassle as if we did something wrong. The hotel needs to be more clear, especially when called about booking with a pet. I guess if you pay $5 less then no doggie treats for our Rocky.

This was our first time staying in this chain and it will be our last.

Details about the hotel:

Cons- 1. Not clean. Huge cobweb with spider or egg sac...was not getting a close up...in the corner above bed and dust bunnies on the lamp, again next to the bed. When you see such obvious signs of dust, just how clean is the room really? 2. Smelled bad. Overuse of deodorizer and room had the underlying smell of urine. I am not sure if there are designated pet rooms or not but the smells are not pleasant, though I have a sensitive nose. I did wear flip flops the whole 3 days since the carpet stunk and that made me question it's cleanliness. 3. Cig stains on the sink and cig hole burns in the curtains and stains on them. 4. Room was overly humid. I know it is Florida but this was the most humid room that I have stayed in.

Pros- 1. King room was pretty spacious 2. Location off of 95 and the grounds were nice, felt very safe but then again so were the other hotels nearby. 3. Breakfast was pretty good. Quite a few choices. Hardly ever had the choc chip cookies, not sure who was eating them all as the hotel was nearly empty. Finally got a few late on the last night that we stayed. But aren't having them a signature for this hotel chain?

Definitely not the worst place but if I didn't have to travel with a pet, I would not stay here. There are places at a comparable price that are cleaner. Nobody wants to stay in a room with obvious signs of uncleanliness. It makes you question everything. I think they need to inspect this room with a black light. The cleaning lady was good with towels and the bed but whomever is in charge is not inspecting the rooms.

I did feel that the older guests were treated more nicely than those who were younger, especially the gentleman we saw at breakfast each morning who seemed like a regular. One of the breakfast ladies did special favors for him but never even offered a good morning to us. My husband who never notices things like that made a comment to me about it later in the day. It seems this chain is for the older crowd.

I don't leave poor reviews for an apology or discount, only to help others make an informed decision and for the hotel to make improvements if they choose. Our room needs a good scrubbing, dusting, and new wall border...it is peeling off.

Room Tip: Not a room on the first floor down the left hallway.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Scott D, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Vero Beach-I-95, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank You for sharing your comments on our property. Your review is a great training tool I can use to make sure we double check all of our rooms, with our housekeepers. We will use your comments and review to make sure we stay on-top of our game at the property going forward. We have some work to do going forward, and I assure you we will get this issue corrected going forward. Thank You