“Nice Upscale Beachfront Hotel, trys hard, but not the Ritz”

Kimpton Vero Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Vero Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
North Carolina, USA
“Nice Upscale Beachfront Hotel, trys hard, but not the Ritz”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

Stayed 5 nights at this hotel for a beach vacation. Wife and I had one room, while 2 teenage daughters had another. The rooms are very upscale and reminiscent of the Ritz. Nice furnishings, nice marble bathroom and amenities, nice TV. Robes in the rooms were a nice touch.

The beachfront property is very nice. Not a crowded beach at all when we went. The hotel and pool area are adjacent to the beach, so it is possible to sit at the pool area and see the beach and surf, not a sandhill - we liked that. The pool is nice and very kid friendly. The hot tub is nice and hot, not too large. The hotel appeals to an upscale clientel.

It is obvious that this hotel is trying to be at the level of the Ritz, but it does fall short in three areas - service, professionalism, and consistency.

Servicing the room and turn-down service was hit/miss. We usually left for dinner/shopping around 5:30-6:30PM, but turndown service was not always performed, or not always performed consistently - not a big deal, but not up to expectations. Servicing the room was also inconsistent - for example not emptying the ice bucket or emptying it but not leaving a liner.

Food Service at the pool area was also hit/miss. I did have a problem at lunch one day - apparently they forgot about my wife and I. We ordered salads and drinks - nothing complicated. The first round of drinks came in a reasonable time - then nothing, and more nothing. No refill, no dropping by to tell us they behind (I could see they were getting busy - but not overly busy). Then I could see that others were getting their more complex orders before our salads. We didn't say anything for a while because we were on vacation and trying to take it in stride. Finally I asked where our salads were - they quickly came out with them - but they were obviously somebody elses salads. My wife's was missing the grilled chicken and had a different type of lettuce and dressing. She asked for a replacement salad, but not after being told that it had the right kind of dressing. My salad was missing some ingredients, but I was so hungry by that time that I just ate it. The bill took forever to arrive, again I had to ask for it. Then it took forever to return. The waiters there appear to be high-schoolers or college kids, they just don't seem to be concerned about service. A simple apolgoy and acknowledgement of the delay and incorrect orders would have went a long way.

The front desk could use a little bit of computer training - causing checkout to take longer than should have been required. She should have asked for help rather than trying for several minutes to figure out what to do. Again - a high schooler or college student - who tried to serve, but did not have the knowledge of how to do her job.

Don't let any of these concerns seem bigger than they are. This happens everywhere you stay (well, not at the Ritz). The hotel is a very nice beach hotel with a staff that trys when it wants to - which is more than most other hotels. Given time and a more experienced staff, this hotel could rise to a level near the Ritz. I hope that they reach that - it would make a very good experience even better.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank CarolinaMatt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Polish first
new york city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

Newly opened, this hotel is trying hard. Service was very friendly and helpful. Service at the restaurant while friendly and cheerful was slow and a little disorganized. Feels like someone needs to run a tighter ship. Food was very expensive, trying too hard to be trendy and not great. Local ingredients (fish or produce) would have been nice. Can't beat the location right on the beach.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank sausagehound
Saugerties
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

Found this location on a search and used trip advisor as my guide. From our greeting by the valet to our departure it got better and better. Great food, fantastic room, beautiful ocean location and service to die for. Perhaps to some it may be a little pricey but remember you get what you pay for. We are searching for a winter residence and Vero Beach is one of our prime choices. When we return I can assure you this hotel will be our choice to stay while conducting our search.

Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

We frequent Vero Beach and was very pleased to find this little slice of heaven. The service was excellent from the time we pulled in until we left. They upgraded our room at a very reasonable rate, our first pleasant surprise. We arrived late and they where able to recommended a couple of nice places to eat at that hour. We choose their Bar with a small menu. The decor was wonderful throughout and having breakfast the next morning at their restuarant on the beach was peaceful. The service is prompt and effiencent, all the staff where friendly and commited to making your stay memorable.

The room was what you would expect in paradise. Plenty of room for the two of us to have our own space and time with a clean and pleasant tropical environment overlooking the beautifully landscaped pool area and the ocean. We enjoyed the view from our balcony.

Centrally located in Vero Beach, check in with their Escape Artist and she will suggest many things from Shopping to the Arts.

I liked the privacy the best. I didn't feel wall to wall people although the hotel was busy, it was relaxing. I liked least that I wasn't able to stay longer but I do plan to escape back as soon as possible.

miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

Rarely does a hotel run on all cylinders. This hotel does. From the moment I was greeted by the bellman, my experience was fantastic. The room was immaculate, great decor, excellent facilities, location, staff, the works. Clean as a whistle throughout. Also--$10 a night for valet, in and out all day, which is reasonable in my opinion. I tried to find fault with this hotel and could not. Will stay year every year from here on in during my annual visit to Vero.

Bucks County, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

My room was very beautiful, very clean, very comfortable. The extraordinary sliding wall alongside the large tub in the all-marble bathroom provides a view from the bath clear through the sleeping area, the sitting area and out the sliding doors straight to the ocean - how amazing! The wet bar is so spacious, the seating area so lovely. This is a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Stowe, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

If you want a property that has top-of-the-line customer service, accommodations, and amenities, you can't go wrong with the Vero Beach Hotel & Spa. I arrived yesterday and am so pleased with the property, I could not even wait until I left before writing a review on tripadvisor.com. This is as nice as it gets. Every employee greets you with a smile and responds to any request. The head concierge - or "Escape Artist" as she is known, Genevieve, is incredible. Within moments after we checked in, she presented a gift basket to our 18-year-old daughter in recognition of her success in college admissions. That action, alone, won us over.
The suites are beautiful, spacious, and impeccably clean. The ocean, with its gorgeous views, is right outside along with a pool and poolside restaurant.
Other than a $10 per day charge for parking, there is nothing negative I can say about the Vero Beach Hotel & Spa. I hope to return soon...and stay longer.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family