“A bitter pill.”
Review of Bijou - CLOSED

Bijou
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 19th street
Plantation, Florida
“A bitter pill.”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Went after a friend recommended. Does staff/chef taste the food? Small space. Ambiance is ok. Restroom near entrance too close to dining area. Servers were attentive. Crispy veal sweetbreads under seasoned and breading tasted like seafood. Parsnip soup (special) was ok. Entree rabbit 3 ways: meat was dry could not cut through the meat and was lukewarm. Replaced with pot au feu again meat was dry of poor quality hardly any duck and the pieces that were present were not chewable, pastry cup in dish was soggy and under seasoned. Short ribs were nearly cold and again dry and not chewable. Wine was the only good thing. Did not order desserts after the poorly executed dishes. Will not return.

1 Thank Zibroid

“Not worth the hype”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I too was told by good friends they "were in love with Bijou!" I went last night with an old friend from high school.
First the place has zero atmosphere. The gum chewing hostess greeted me then instead of showing me to our available table, went over to another table to deliver menus and chit-chat.
Finally after being seated, the World's Most Annoying waiter stopped by. Yikes! Everything was the Best whatever In The Whole-Wide World. He was cloying and creepy. I wanted to take a shower! And, not just because I smelled like the frites fryer when I left.
My short-ribs were dry and in a terrible cherry sauce. Ick! The root vegetables and mashed potatoes were grand, however.
All in all, I probably will not go back. That's okay though...the sister restaurant, Avanzare, is across the street and my favorite restaurant in Vero!

1 Thank Ellenmail
Vero Beach, Florida
“A worthy newcomer to Vero Beach gastronomy”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Bijou's big sister restaurant in Vero, Avanzare, is one of our favorite restaurants. We were therefore anticipating going to Bijou, opened by the same owners and just accross the street. The cuisine is an inventive variation on French bistro and brasserie classics. We arrived on time and were immediately shown to our table. I had sweetbreads and duck cassoulet to follow, and my wife had the house salad and pompano. All the food was perfectly prepared and well presented. The wine list is well chosen and we enjoyed a delicious malbec from Cahors. Mike was our server and he was supremely attentive and knowledgeable. The decor is minimalist but very attractive and the nose level not too high. All in all it was a great experience which we plan to repeat frequently! Please be sure to reserve in good time, as it is a small restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
Vero Beach, Florida
“The huge new buzz in Vero Beach......very disappointing”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Bijou opened in November 2012 and had immediately created a big buzz in town. We have good friends who went and reported it was now their favorite in town. So of course we had to try it.

We were warmly greeted at the door and told that unfortunately our table wasn't ready and could we please come to the bar where they would pour us a glass of wine. The bar, as it turns out directly faces the compact little kitchen so we had fun watching the meals being prepared as we chatted with the chef and his assistants.Tiny little kitchen....but the whole place is very small.

We were shortly after taken to our table, where our served greeted warmly and asked if we were ready to taste the very best food in Vero Beach. Quite an attitude, but it did make us smile.

Two of us ordered the short ribs....another the scallops, and one their 'Pot au feu', a French stew made of Duck/Beef/Spare ribs. We all tried their Bilou house salad...made up of walnuts, cranberries, blue cheese and vinaigrette.

The salads were delectable. The Pot au feu outstanding. The spare ribs were served barely warm and the scallops way undercooked. Overall average C+.

We were poured a tiny bit more wine during dinner.....none that we ordered. Just added a bit to the "comped" wine we were served when we arrived as the apology for having to wait past our reservation.

We were a bit taken back when the bill arrived to see that we were charged for ALL the wine...and hardly had enough to qualify for a whole glass each. The red wine, served with great formality and deliberation, was room temperature (76 degrees?).

So cold spare ribs and warm wine. And charged for what we thought was comped. The place was REALLY NOISY....need to get some fabric up to deaden the sound a little. So much for our first impression of Bijou. We may well go back and give them another chance. But not before we go back a few times to some of our favorites.......Scampi Grill for one.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank TPeter
“Fantastic French/Mediterranean Bistro”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Bijou is a fairly new restaurant which has the same owners as Avanzare (our favorite Italian restaurant). We had dinner there on Friday night and it was just fabulous. We were greeted and seated right away and were fortunate to have Kathleen (who used to work at Avanzare) take care of us for the night - she is just wonderful. Warm french rolls (that they bake themselves) were brought to the table - absolutely amazing!! My husband and I split the beet salad which was delicious and for main courses I had the Bistro Burger (which has three cuts of meat) and my husband had Rack of Lamb. My burger was the best burger I have ever had - topped with carmelized onions and brie. Yummy!!! And my husband also loved his lamb. It was just a wonderful experience - fabulous food and an excellent staff. We can't wait to go back.

• Visited November 2012