“Driftwood an Awesome stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Driftwood Resort

Driftwood Resort
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Vero Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Driftwood an Awesome stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2004

I stayed at the Driftwood with my grandparents last summer on our vacation to Vero Beach. It is one of the most beautiful and unique places I have had the privelege to stay at. The view was awesome and the staff and workers were exceptionally friendly. Our room was clean and neat and very comfortable. I had so much fun at the Driftwood and I look forward to this summer when my boyfriend and I come to visit!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2004

We stayed at the Driftwood with other family members and LOVED it...we have already recommended it to others AND sent them your brochure. We had all the amenities, convenience to everything, and the beach at our feet. Our neighbors were all very friendly and hotel services were top notch. Even tho we live in Fl year-round, we hope to come back and visit the Driftwood again, we loved it so much!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2004

First time to Vero. Nice little town and nice beach. However, The Driftwood Resort left a lot to be desired. We checked the place out on the internet and it appeared pleasant enough. I also read a few reviews which, while not glowing, did not scare me away. In fact, a couple of websites had it rated a 3 (out of five). The Driftwood is a 2--at best!
The place has been around since the twenties and it certainly shows. It doesn't appear the owners have put much money back into the common areas. The wife and I rented one of the studio rooms. The room appeared clean enough and fairly well-maintained considering the age of the property. It was about what I expected. However, I didn't expect the two inch piece of sharp metal sticking out from the bed frame. We found it about 20 minutes after we were in the room. Actually, my wife's leg found it and it caused a 1.5-inch gash. Upon telling the front desk (and showing him a picture), he said the metal pieces shouldn't be showing (Really? I can't imagine why). He said it was likely caused by someone jumping on the bed. That was the most ridiculous thing I heard all weekend. Luckily, these metal pieces were the only two metal objects on-site that were not rusted. No stiches were needed and it doesn't look like it will be infected so I guess all's right in the world.

We had breakfast at Waldos (the on-site restaurant) one morning, Big mistake. Food was bad (runny eggs, the bacon was either overcooked or undercooked, and they had no butter) and the service was much worse.

We will go back to Vero but will not stay at the Driftwood.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2004

The resort was fine...a little on the old side, but clean. The efficiency was ok with a rather awkward layout. The kitchenette was well equipped. A broken toaster was was reported and replaced immediately. When the reservation was made by phone, I was quoted a weekly price. At check-in, nothing was mentioned by the clerk about rates...I assumed that was settled with the reservation. At check-out, I was charged a daily rate for the 7 day stay...the clerk telling me I should have specified I wanted a weekly rate (about $100 cheaper) at check-in. I feel they were in the wrong. It spoiled an otherwise ok stay.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2003

This is a typical old Florida motel. You don't stay here because of the hotel amenities, you stay here because it's inexpensive, clean and close to some of the most beautiful beaches in the area. It's close to shopping, the groves, some great restaurants like Captain Hiram's and Ozzies. We stay there every year for several days for a latitude and attitude adjustment on our way further south. If you're looking for a Hampton, there's one down the road.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2003

My husband, a former US Marine, was stationed at the Vero Beach airfield briefly, during WW11. However, it was long enough for him to fall in love with the Driftwood(yes it was here!) and also with the beach. Fifty years later we spent our second honeymoon here. The collection of "stuff" begun by Waldo and incorporated in the decor, has intrigued me over the years. I found our suite to be comfortable and clean, the kitchen was completely equipped. I was actually able to cook and serve dinner to friends from nearby condos. We found the dinners at the restaurant to be well done with ample portions and friends actually had a "two fer" coupon one evening. There are restaurants for family dining within a reasonable distance. There are also excellent parks for play and picnic facilities nearby. Try shopping at the supermarkets for easy take out food. Publix is great for this. Having read other reviews, I think it may depend what area of the country you are from when you're making a judgement However, when you are from the Northeast, the prices seem reasonable. My cousin who joined us from Denver, CO last year loved his suite complete with two bathrooms, family room with hot tub and bedroom.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2003

We just came back from the Driftwood Inn Resort and must say we were disappointed. The rustic decor is lost by the unkept condition of the resort. The unique chandelier in building A could have used a cleaning. The large cob webs were a complete turnoff, only to proceed into a filthy elevator. Our studio was clean but an attempt to seperate the bedroom from the living room left the sleeping area so cramped that one person had to crawl over the other person to get out of bed. The view from the balcony was beautiful and the two chairs provided was a nice idea however a little larger in the seat department would have rendered them much more comfortable.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member