“A great beach vacation for families”

Disney's Vero Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Vero Beach
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We just returned from a week at Disney's Vero Beach. We are Disney Vacation Club members but this was our first stay in Vero Beach. We loved the location of the resort as it's off the beaten path a bit. The beach was great and it was never crowded. The waves were perfect for the boogie board! The pool was great too. The staff or "cast members" were all very friendly and up to Disney standards. We loved the activities they had available every day. The campfire was great for the kids. Our kids sang along and ate s'mores. If you want to take kids on a beach vacation this is definately the place to take them. It's very family oriented. I was also very impressed with the staff one day when it rained all day long and they came up with several activities in the lobby so kids had something to do while it rained. The staff sat down and played board games with the kids, they had face painting and art projects and music.
A few things to note 1) food is a bit pricey. A family of 4 will not eat for less than $50 (lunch or dinner). There is a Walmart about 15 minutes away. Stock up on food and drinks. 2) Take A LOT of insect repellent. The no see-ums were awful. We have bites all over us.
We will definately return. Our kids had so much fun. We have been to other Florida beaches but now that we've been here we probably won't take the kids to any other beach resorts. This is perfect for us.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank emjer
There are newer reviews for Disney's Vero Beach Resort

Reviewed June 23, 2008

Disney's Vero Beach Resort has it all! We had spacious accomodations facing the ocean. All rooms have balcony/patio areas. Even the garden view (island view) rooms had a nice view. Although the property is over 10 years old now, Disney's reputation of quality construction and impeccible maintenance shows.

The staff were all professional, courteous and friendly. Food options allow for a variety of dining experiences. Shutters (where we had most of our meals) has a varied menu. The food, generally, was very good with reasonable "resort" pricing. Interestingly, the yukon gold mashed potatoes ended up being a favorite, as were the daily soups! Sonya's (the higher end restaurant) was good as well. Don't bother with the ribeye though, the chefs seem to do a much better job with seafood than steak. And, of course, there is typical fast food in the pool area.

Activities include miniture golf, shuffle board, croquet (great area right in front of the lobby), video rentals, board games, ping pong....They also have fun competitions at the pool with water slide races and such for the kids (even adults who are kids at heart). There is a beautiful beach area as well, with rental chairs/umbrellas, jet skis, surf boards and other beach items.

Checkout was effortless tool! If you are looking for "cheap" accomodations, this resort isn't for you. However, if you are looking for an excellent experience and VALUE, then you should check this property out! We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thecajungent
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We just had a short 2 night stay at Vero Beach. We arrived late about 10:30 pm on Friday night and were given a first floor 1-bedroom. It turned out to be a fine room, clean with a large patio. It also had a dehumidifier which I have requested in the past when we go to Vero. I don't know if they already knew this and had it already in the room or if this is something they just do. When it is very humid I suggest requesting this - it makes the room much more comfortable.

The room had a nice flat screen TV with a good number of channels including Speed so we could watch the 24 hours of Le Mans! The room also had a huge jacuzzi tub, probably the largest jacuzzi tub I have seen in a resort room.

Played tennis the first day, try to get out early if you play. They have very nice courts with some shade. Also went to the Beach, if you are hungry walk down to Boppy's Beach Market. It's behind the lifeguard station near what looks like a locals section of the beach. You can get really good subs for $6-$7 and cheaper beer and soda than you will find at the resort.

The pool is OK. Lots of activities for kids, they all seemed to be having fun.

Only negative would be the parking. With the resort full it's tough to find an indoor spot. We actually had to park in another buildings garage which had a spot (outdoor was all parked up).

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chitownMS
Reviewed May 23, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel many times and always enjoy it but especially when I get a good ocean front room. I always book this category, but on 2 occasions I have ended up on the sides of the hotel, still with ocean view, but less desirable in my opinion.

For the first night we had room 2425, a corner room on the 4th floor which we liked very much with great views. Being on a corner, it had an additional window and a different layout than we are used to, but we liked it and the extra light in the room. The balcony was small but large enough (just) for 2 people. The big downside for me though was that this room had low beds and I have problems (medical) with this. I must admit to being surprised because in the past I've had beds so high here that I've struggled and I'm tall! It was obvious to see why the beds were low; the roof sloped at that point. Because of this we requested a move the following day and the staff were very understanding.

We next had room 2220 on the 2nd floor and we were happy with it. It was at the front of the building, had a much larger balcony and 'normal' beds, although, of course, the view was not quite so good being lower. One year we made the mistake of trying a studio rather than an Inn room so we could have the sofa in addition to the Queen bed and didn't care for it at all. For me, the Inn is the only place to be but I can see that for families the 1 and 2 bedroom villas in the outlying buildings would be good.

There was some 'towel reserving' of pool seating going on, but the resort did leave telephone messages to say that items would be removed if no one showed up within an hour. We were more interested in walking by the ocean, but I can see this selfish behavior being very irritating at the busier times.

We ate at Shutters once, and it was surprisingly good. I have learned never to expect too much here but I played it safe with a cheeseburger and wasn't disappointed. It appeared to be 'Snow Crab legs' night which seemed popular.

The resort is some miles away from Vero Beach itself, which doesn't bother us one bit, but its remote location might be a disadvantage for some. We buy some basic items from Wal-Mart or Publix in Sebastian, which is nearby and use the kitchenette in the Inn Rooms to prepare breakfast and the occasional sandwich.

We always pay at least one visit to the Indian River Mall and noticed that an Olive Garden restaurant was due to open within days of our visit. On this occasion we ate at Bob Evans and at Sonnys Real Pit Bar-B-Q. The former was okay and popular with older diners. Sonnys was doing a great trade on the day we were there and I'm not surprised - wonderful ribs at great prices.

I'll be booking to go to this resort again next year because it's the ideal way to wind down. The closeness of the ocean (as well as the comfort of the hotel) is the main appeal for us. We love to have the windows open and listen to the ocean as we read.

I know there is a program of activities aimed at children and adults but its not what we're there for. We manage to have our quiet relaxing vacation in the midst of the families having a great time. This resort makes both types of vacation very easy.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank twasbrillig4
Reviewed May 22, 2008

It was awful ! Our room was dirty! . Way overpriced ! After this I don't want anyting to do with Disney.

Next time in Orlando area, We are going to Universal .

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank hollysurf
Reviewed April 23, 2008

Just returned from a 3 night stay. Room was very large. Nice balcony, private. I was disappointed that they only provided paper plates, bowls and plasticware in room. Pool and beach are great. Layout of property looks a lot larger. It is very easy to get around. Food was so-so. InnRoom Dining prices were reasonable. Staff is great. We will definately return.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank ewm0216
Reviewed April 23, 2008

We spent a fun and relaxing few days at Disney's Vero Beach Resort. It was Spring Break, and the resort was at full capacity. We stayed in an Ocean View Inn Room. We had a fabulous view of the pool, and what I would call a partial view of the ocean (in the distance). Very nice room. Clean. Comfortable. Towel Animal on the bed upon arrival, but that was it for the duration of our stay.
Although the resort was crowded, we had no problem getting the kids into all of the activities. As previous posters mentioned, definitely arrive early to sign up for the Unbirthday Party. We were able to get chairs by the pool every day. Of course, the choice locations fill up early, and people reserve chairs for hours (and sometimes all day) before they ever spend time sitting in them. The "Cast Members" try to prevent people from staking a claim with chairs, but it's very difficult for them to keep that up.
My girls (ages 8 and 6) had a great time participating in many of the activities. The little rental place by the pool "Eb & Flo's" is happy to give out pool toys for the kids to use and board games for anyone to play. The Cast Members involved in the kids' activities were all great. The beach was beautiful. The surf was really rough, however, so the kids did all of their swimming in the pool. The pool was a lot of fun. That three-story slide is awesome. We all had hours of fun on that slide!
We bought food at Publix and kept it in our room. This way, we were able to eat breakfast in our room every day before we hit the pool or beach. We ate at Bleachers (the pool restaurant) for lunch every day. The food was good enough. The prices weren't exorbitant. And the kids loved the fact that lunch was served in a pail with a shovel. We also ate at Shutters for the character breakfast. Make a reservation for that before you go, because they only have it on Saturday mornings. We were visited by Goofy and Donald several times during breakfast which was thrilling for my kids. I'm not sure why they don't change up the characters every week, and why Mickey Mouse never makes an appearance!
Dinners we ate off premises every night because I heeded the advice of many posters to this site. We liked Captain Hirams a lot. Squid Lips was good. Weren't too thrilled with Mr. Manatees. This leads me to my only real complaint about the Disney property....the location. It's a good 20 minutes or more away from any other restaurant that's worth eating at. A bit of a pain, but it wouldn't stop us from returning. We really loved this resort! By the way, we aren't DVC members, I just called up and reserved the room as a guest.
A tip: don't miss the campfire sing along. We had a great time. And my husband got to make a fool out of himself in front of about 50 strangers.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family