“Not by Disney Standards”

Disney's Vero Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Vero Beach
Sycamore, Illinois
“Not by Disney Standards”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just got back from a 3 night stay at Disney's Vero Beach. We have all come to know Disney for there top notch service and standards-this resort should NOT carry the Disney name. Staff was not friendly, the house we stayed in was not the cleanest, I found hair all over my bed and straw wrappers. Food selection was slim and not quality. Beach was not maintained, you could hardly walk on it. The worst part was that we all got eaten alive, most of us in our party look like we have chicken pox's-there was no warning about this anywhere. The internet was down for a day and half, no explanation. After doing a Disney cruise last year, this was a total disappointment. Save your money, go somewhere else!

2 Thank M J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Dublin, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We just got back from visiting VB before a trip to WDW. It was our first visit and we loved it. With a 12-yr-old, a 25-yr-old, and my husband and I - it was easy to find things to do to please everyone. My daughter LOVED the Dole Whips (which are not mentioned on the menu at Bleachers but that is what they are!) - especially the pineapple and orange swirl! She also enjoyed the conch chowder and the chicken sandwich too. My son loved the DWs (as did I!) and also raved about the pina colada pancakes at Shutters. I loved the french toast there too. The Green Cabin Room was quiet and secluded for a night-time beer and the deck offered a wonderful view of the ocean. We played bocce on the green grass in front of the resort and had fun with people in rocking chairs on the deck. Cast members blew huge bubbles by the pool, had pool trivia parties, and you could check out board games to play too. We went kayaking, saw sea turtle eggs every morning when the beach was checked for new nests, saw a satellite launch at night, and the stars off the ocean deck were AMAZING! We saw snails, watched a movie under the stars, sang songs at the campfire, saw manatees, gathered sea shells, met a crab, and relaxed! The pool was very clean and we saw the lifeguards jump in three times to check on young guests on our first visit to the pool. Our fridge had a bit of trouble and a maintenance guy was there within 10 minutes and got it fixed. The staff was helpful with local recommendations for food too. There is a pizza place right next door where we walked to get fresh local pizza. Yum. The beach was clean and the waves were great for boogie boards while on other days the ocean was calm as glass. There are free noodles to use at the pool too! My son and I also did archery which was fun (and free!) and we played in the mini golf tournament (also free!). It was fun to have Disney magic keys to the room and be able to charge with our Disney key cards at the pool and restaurants. My daughter also enjoyed Disney pin trading in the gift shop too! A fun Disney-away-from-Disney stay! Looking forward to our next visit already! PS - the sunrises were awesome!

Room Tip: As a new DVC member, we booked a studio in Bldg 12. I didn't realize I could have booked an ocea...
1 Thank ElizabethM670
Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We went during April school vacation with a family of five (twin girls at 8 and a 17-year old). The staff was excellent and helpful and the all inclusive resort made it relaxing and enjoyable with everything within walking distance! We enjoyed the daily pool parties, non-birtthday party, archery, and hair braiding including a character breakfast the last day! Disney knows how to do it and very flexilbe with booking the activities. Go in May in June if you want to see the sea turtle nesting. We went in April which was a month before. Still, an amazing place and great food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve W
Miami
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We decided to book a 4-night stay at Disney's Vero Beach resort prior to leaving for a Disney cruise from Port Canaveral. The cleanliness, look, and feel of the hotel building and grounds definitely feel like other resorts at WDW. Pool and beach were beautiful, lovely lobby, and they had good variety of recreational activities. They have mini-golf, archery, tennis, basketball, soccer fields, and scheduled arts and crafts. Some are free, others involve reasonable fees. We did not take advantage of any of the off-property excursions, but other guests seemed to enjoy them. This is definitely a resort I would recommend for anyone looking for rest and relaxation, not the excitement of WDW. This property (and Vero Beach in general) does not have the entertainment, shopping, or nightlife of other Disney Orlando properties, but is perfect to escape for some R&R or for those who want to experience a beachside resort while in Florida. I could not keep my kids away from the pool and beach, and they loved the poolside activities. My only complaint was the dining service at Shutters. While acceptable, it was just not what one expects from Disney. Greeters not as friendly, servers had to be reminded of this or that, and Character Dinner (we did pirate dinner) felt a little rushed. We really liked dining at the balcony at the Green Cabin Lounge; had good flatbreads, burger, drinks, and great ocean views. Another wonderful benefit was complimentary use of the laundry facilities for guests. Our housekeeping service was great, too. To sum it up, I would personally book a stay anywhere in Vero Beach only in conjunction with a visit elsewhere in FL (like cruise, WDW, etc.), as attractions are limited. I would definitely stay here again and found it to be more fun and appealing than any other place in the Vero area. Next time I hope to try the Spa.

Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have a four-year old and this resort is great for children. We had an ocean view room (2417) with a large balcony and it was amazing. Staff was always friendly and great with the kids. The beach was beautiful and the pool was great as well. Overall a great beach vacation. Mickey Mouse does not come to this resort-only Donald and Goofy, and our son kept asking where he was:( The activities for the children were wonderful - the only thing i can say is that they could be more creative. The wifi that we had to pay for kept dropping and was not worth it. The food at the resort was not very good and we ate out most of the time. The room had a microwave, toaster, refrig, and large coffee maker so you can make some meals/snacks in the room. I would recommend the character breakfast (not dinner) if you can make it. Buy some bug spray for the beach and campfire!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view on the 4th floor-great view!
1 Thank Azbeach448
Blackmore, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

VERO Beach is tranquil and very relaxing aft spending time at the Disney theme parks. It is a great addition to a holiday to wind down.

When we first arrived we were still in disney mode and I suppose expected morning till night entertainment in the resort. It isn't like Disneyworld and much more like a Spa retreat.

After day one I thought we had made a mistake because at night time there is nothing for the children to do (unless you go to the campfire and get eaten alive by the bugs). However on day 2, we all became much more relaxed and spent all day in the pool and on the beach. After dinner and a couple of drinks in the bar, we were all so tired that we went to bed anyway.

The dining options are ok, but Shutters is the only option early in the week and if staying for a week I could imagine exhausting the menu quickly.

The beach is wonderful and if you are lucky you can see turtles bobbing up and down in the ocean, which was a great experience.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view room and if money allows the 3 bed villas are breathtaking.
2 Thank David H
Bethpage, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was our first trip to Vero Veach, but I know it won't be our last! We had a wonderful time. My husband and I visited with our daughters and a friend. My 13 year old went jet skiing for the first time! This was a perfect vacation!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family