“Excellent for Harry Potter”

Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hunton Bridge
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed here for one night, the night before going to the Harry Potter Studio Tour. I've stayed at the De Vere Orchard Hotel in Nottingham before and have to admit that Hunton Park was nowhere near the same standard.

Location:
Literally less than 5 minutes drive to the HP studios, or alternatively the staff have placed a map/guidance on how to walk there, which would probably only take about 20 minutes. The hotel itself is set in beautiful grounds which was lovely to walk around.

Check In:
Check in was a bit of a faff for us as the computer system was down and the girl on reception - whilst nice and polite - didn't really know how to administer guests without the PC so we agreed to sort out payments, if necessary, at check out (payment for the room had been organised prior to arrival but beware - they don't take payment until check-out!).

The Room:
I have to agree with all the other comments on here - The room was very, very small. Luckily we were only staying for one night otherwise I would have been asking for another room. It was clean, but yes, the rooms are worn. Our room number even fell off whilst we were there! The bed was average and, whilst you can hear other guests talking in the hall and shutting doors, we didn't find that it stopped us from sleeping.

Breakfast:
We opted to eat out for dinner, so cannot comment on the hotel's evening meals.
We did however have their buffet breakfast. On offer was; Full English, cereals, toast/jam, pastries, juices, teas, coffees etc. (The sausages were particuarlly nice!). No complaints here, and for £8 each who could grumble?

Check Out:
Literally took 5 minutes. Curtis was fabulous and was able to debit the original payment card submitted during the booking process. No issues whatsoever as the system was back up! Do beware though - very early check out time of 10:00am!

Staff:
All the staff were happy, friendly and eager to help - no complaints there.

As mentioned, I've stayed in another De Vere before and booked this room having read the TripAdvisor reviews but hoping the De Vere standard was still there. Unfortunately this hotel is rather run down and in need of a refurb, but it did meet our needs in that all we wanted was:

> An overnight stay
> Near Harry Potter
> Clean
> Safe
> Where we could park the car and not worry about it.

De Vere Hunton Park did tick all these boxes, but I wouldn't want to stay more than one night simply because of the size of the room.

1  Thank sezco1981
Peter F, General Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay but I am sorry you would not stay with us again due to the size of the room. Indeed the rooms are compact but I am glad you enjoyed the other aspects of the venue.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Stayed here on business recently. It is a nice looking hotel - part old part new in very pretty grounds. The reception staff are very helpful and accomodating . The rooms however are tiny. One night is enough here as i think you would get clautrophobic on a long stay. Unfortunately i found this hotel not to be up to the standard of other De Vere's i have stayed in. The small rooms were not the cleanest - had to clean the bath myself before using it. The window blind also appeared to have something splattered on it - looks like blood. Decidedly grotty in general and very noisy with doors banging at night.
Other than that the conference facilites are very good but the restaurant food menu is very limited and very hit and miss. I didn't use the pool because i heard other people saying it was not clean. A lot could be done to improve this place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank janbee230

Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the negative experience you had with us and I am keen to do my best to resolve this. Please could I ask you to contact me at the venue as I am keen to discuss this with you.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I recently had my wedding reception here in April 2014. Sophie our wedding co ordinator was brilliant with all our questions and requests in the year long run up to the event. Staff on the night were brilliant and controlled the whole evening perfectly. The food was delicious which everyone stated also. The venue is in a brilliant location with beautiful grounds, its just a shame it rained so we had to stay inside. The drink prices were perhaps more than what people were expecting but I think they are on average for a hotel in the area. The rooms are also clean, modern and comfortable too. I would definitely recommend a visit to this hotel :-)

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank PFairbrother30

Thank you for your review and we are absolutely delighted you enjoyed you big day with us.
Sophie was really pleased to read of the difference she made your special day and I would like to thank you for posting such a wonderful review on this site.

Congratulations again and we look forward seeing you back here in the future.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a Saturday night in April. Receptionists were very welcoming and are a credit to DeVere. Our room however was not. There was a strong musty odour in the rather small room and we found out why later in the evening as the carpet was very wet next to the radiator. We avoided that area of the room to keep our feet dry ! I don't believe this was a new problem as the carpet was stained where previous leaks had dried. The room's window has opaque film applied to it so that you don't look out on the service yard with its various waste skips and stores, and provides you with some privacy from hotel staff using the yard. On a positive note we did find the beds to be comfortable and unlike others, we were not kept awake by other guests. We let the reception know about the wet carpet and had we been staying longer we'd have asked for a change of room.

The hotel grounds are extensive and quite pleasant to stroll around although there is an ever-present distant traffic roar from the M25 motorway. The bluebells in the grounds were particularly good to see, and there is a putting green available for guests' use.

Breakfast was perfectly adequate and the staff in the breakfast room were efficient and pleasant.

All-in-all an average hotel which needs some TLC but is fortunate to have good staff

Room Tip: Ask reception to let you view the allocated room before accepting it
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and for the kind comments regarding the team. I am sorry for the maintenance issue you experienced with the room and keen to let you know this was resolved immediately after you left.

Thank you once agin for your review.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

This is a brilliant place to stay! We arrived very early, but the staff couldn't have been more helpful, even though the room was, understandably, not ready. Free coffee etc in the lounge, beautiful, very pretty grounds to wander through and very tranquil. The room was lovely, very clean and well equipped - even an iron and an ironing board! We had the swimming pool to ourselves, which was warm and relaxing- though the changing facilities let it down a bit. Dinner, including wine, was excellent and breakfast was amazing. All this for a mere £99 - what a bargain!

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing may have better views and are probably larger than in the main house.
1  Thank LaTuque51

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am really please you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights whilst visiting the Harry Potter studio tour. The hotel itself is very nice, although our room was a bit small. The grounds and surroundings are beautiful and everywhere is kept clean and tidy. Our main issue with the hotel was the quality of the food, which we found really disappointing. We ordered a room service pizza which was almost inedible; shop bought pizza base with tomato ketchup and far too much melted cheese. We ended up eating from a really lovely local Indian takeaway, which I thoroughly recommend!
All in all, a decent hotel but we won't be in a rush to visit again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not enjoy the food, indeed this is not the usual feedback we receive around our food offering and please accept my deepest apologies that this was not up to standard.

I am keen to resolve this issue and would ask you to contact me directly at the venue to rectify.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Me and my partner stayed in this hotel for one night as we were going to the harry potter tour the next day, it is in perfect location as it's a 3 minute drive from here. The room was clean (small but we only needed somewhere to sleep) the hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. The only downside to our stay was a couple of girls who were staying in a room about 4 along from us, they were very noisy coming back and they stayed up chatting until early hours we could hear every word the said.
The pictures you see are not the actual hotel you stay in and there doesn't seem to be any so I will add a photo of it.
A very lovely place that I would recommend people to stay if they are visiting universal but take ear plugs!!

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for your review and picture. I am glad you enjoyed your stay but sorry for the disturbance that was caused to you.
Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunton Bridge
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
Jurys Inn London Watford
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction

Been to Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!