“Beautiful Grounds and close to Warner Bros.Studios”

Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hunton Bridge
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The receptionist was very helpful and the staff were mainly young but friendly and approachable. The hotel was very close to the Warner Bros Studios a taxi fare was between £5 - £6. Our room was very small but clean but the bed took up most of the space, there was only room for one bedside table and only one chair was provided in a double room so room service was out of the question as one of us would have had to eat sitting on the bed. An iron and ironing board was provided along with a hairdryer. We ate in the restaurant for one night and the quality of food and service was excellant. On our second night we ate in the bar and was equally impressed with the food. Although the food was good value we thought the drinks tariff was a little high for example over £5 for a glass of wine. The hotel did however provide complimentary beverages which was a lovely touch well done! The hotel has lovely gardens with a putting green and a small swimming pool and its location to the Harry Potter Tour at Warner Bros Studios is superb. I would recommend a stay here but don't stay in the rooms for too long!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandeep K, Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Mrs Minder

Thank you for lovely feedback. Our rooms are cosy doubles and have been recently refurbished. Restaurant serves contemporary British food with emphasis on local ingredients. And you are right about our proximity to Warner bros studios.

There are newer reviews for Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed here for one night last week and I was amazed. Nothing was too much trouble. All the staff were so friendly and helpful - from recption check in to breakfast service the following day.

We had an event here and the rook that was arranged for us looked beautiful. Peter the new Manager has already done such a fantastic job here and we were so toched by all the effort and kindness peter and his team showed us. I would not hesitate to return and stay here - There was a wedding party checking in as we were leaving the next day and this place seems it would be perfect for a wedding.

The bedroom was clean, modern and the bed very comfortable.
Breakfast was great with lots of lovely coffee! Also great sausages!
Thank you Peter and to all your staff. We cannot wait to be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Sandeep K, Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear Tammykaren

thank you for the fantastic feedback.

Peter indeed has been a great addition to the Hunton Team. We at Hunton Park are really pleased that you enjoyed your experience here.

Best Wishes

Reviewed October 11, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hunton park on Tuesday 9th October 2012. I booked it as a surprise for her to celebrate her birthday and to attend the Harry Potter tour at the WB studios around the corner the next day. I was attracted to this hotel by the pictures of the wonderful buliding and beautiful gardens.
We arrived mid afternoon, driving down the long drive on to the estate surrounded by lush green grass and tall trees, first impressions were good, but they didn't last. We approached the impressive building shown on their website and were quickly ushered around the corner to the car park. Some of the spaces are tight if you drive anything bigger than a Renault Clio, which I do. We the followed the signs to the guest enterance which wasn't the grand enterance we were led to belive it was by the website. It is just a plain normal door.
Booking in was fine and trouble free, staff were friendly and efficient.
We arrived at our room, which was very small and very hot. We immediately opend the window and that's how it stayed until we departed the following day. The room was very small, only just fitting the bed in. It was clean and functional but very small.
We had dinner on breakfast and on both occasions the food was great. well cooked, well seasoned and well presented, the breakfast in particular was fantastic, a continental buffet all you can eat.
Throughout our stay all the stay we had interactions with were very friendly, polite, curtious and profesional.
The grounds to the rear were lovely, well tended too and vast. A lovely addition and had the hotel not had these, it wouldn't be worth the stay.
All in all, an average hotel, friendly staff, nice food, but the room (the main part of a hotel stay for me) was far below what is expected from a 4* hotel. Far too small and hot.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear AK-Kelly

thank you for your feedback.

Our bedrooms comfortable doubles, but I will acknowledge, not as large as in some of De Vere Hotels. As you said, they are spotless and were refurbished not that long ago, including flat screen TV and new beds.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the rest of the facilities including food & service during your stay.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at Hunton Park Hotel with my boyfriend as we were visiting the Warner Bros Harry Potter studio tour. Upon arrival, we were disappointed to find that the grand entrance displayed on the hotels website was not infact the entrance used by guests to check in, nor was the grounds as impressive as shown in the photographs. As we checked in, we were asked for the card we had booked with online to make the payment (something I thought I had already done, and later had to check my banking to ensure I hadn't been charged twice) however there was a card charge of £2.50, which was unavoidable as we were not given the option to pay by cash. Before we left the desk for our room I asked what time checkout was, in which we were told it was 10.30am. This caused us a problem as we thought this was a bit on the early side and had booked our studio tour for 1.30pm, leaving us 3 hours with little to do (a taxi into Watford cost us £10 on the way there). The carpet on the stairs upto our room were a little stained and on the dirty side, however our room was clean and nicely furnished. We were pleased to use the swimming pool facilities, and the food from the bar was both of good portion and tasty. Unfortunately, there were no air conditioning facilities in our room (something we are sure was promised in the rooms description) making sleeping in a small room very stuffy (sleeping with little or no clothes!!) this also caused us problems in the morning when we had a cleaning lady unexpectedly knocking and letting herself into our room at 9am, making me feel embarrassed and quite disgusted that she saw me undressed!!! After apologising she left, but later appeared again at the door before 10am, and when I questioned the reception about these disturbances they contradicted themselves telling us that check out was 10am, not 10.30am as previously told. If you are staying at Hunton Park, I would bare in mind the early check out if you have made plans for the following day. Apart from the disappointment with not staying in a hotel as grand as expected, and having a cleaner catch me in the nude, the distance from the hotel to the warner bros studio was within walking distance, and I would only recommend staying here for that purpose, as otherwise this hotel is quite out of the way in terms of shopping and attractions.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank c0llyw0bbles

Dear c0llyw0bbles

Thank you for your feedback.

De Vere is quite transparent about its rates and charges and unlike other hotel companies do not hide it under increased room rate. The £2.50 charge is clearly mentioned on our website and it is only levied if you pay by a credit card, there is no charge if you pay cash or debit card. Our reception team makes this very clear on check-in and again on check-out. So I am surprised that you were not given an option to pay by an alternative method.

Check-out time on Saturday/Sunday & bank holidays is 10.30am, so please accept my apology about the housekeeping team. I have re-visited this with Housekeeping Manager.

We have a nice lounge area with a TV and a pool table, with free flowing tea/coffee. We also have 18 acres of grounds with a trim trail, 18 hole pitch & putt, garden games available on request. This is to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Please accept my apology, that with so many facilities in the venue, you were not able to find something to keep you occupied before your visit to Harry Potter Studio.

We also state on our website that all the bedrooms "are in a purpose bulit annex" and not in the manor house so that the guest are aware before they book a bedroom.

As you mentioned we are within 25 minutes walking distance or a 5 minute drive to the studio, so very convienient for a visit to Harry Potter.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at the Hunton Park last night with my six year old son. We were going to the Harry Potter tour which is very close by and I had Superbreak vouchers which paid for the whole package. Arrived at 3pm, parked easily, friendly and quick receptionist. Our room was small (even my son commented on the size) but I had asked for a quiet room near the gardens and that was what I got. I am a really light sleeper and never do well for sleep at hotels so specifically asked for quiet area. I was delighted to see a Samsung tv in the room like mine at home and also to discover all channels not just selective ones that some hotels have. Bathroom was nice although bath was tiny. Also the shower randomly went from normal to scorching and then to freezing which if you had a child showering could actually be quite dangerous. I didnt know what caused this. There is a coffee area which is free and is really good, every tea you can think of, biscuits, fruit, coffee with vanilla or caramel you can add yourself. This was a real perk for me. Annoyingly there was a wedding on and had I been warned about this I would not have stayed. It was a lovely sunny day and sadly we were not permitted in the gardens the whole day which was one of the reasons we arrived early. We chose to have dinner in the bar area and we had the burger which was really good. However they refused to let me have a childs burger because it wasnt on the kids menu so I had to pay £12 for my son instead of £5. The burger came for him with mushrooms, onion rings, bacon and of course I pulled all this out anyway. I felt this was quite mean. The wait was quite long too. We went for a swim in the pool which we had to ourselves, this was very nice. I do agree with others that there should be a jacuzzi or sauna or steam. The changing rooms were basic, cold and communal. There is no shallow end for youngsters. My nights sleep was awful. Becuase of the wedding I was disturbed from midnight right into the early hours with drunk people coming back to the rooms in a steady trail, shouting, burping, slamming doors, chatting in the corridors. It was horrendous, even my son woke up a couple of times. Like I said, had I known there was a wedding I would not have stayed and I felt given that I had emailed the hotel and said I didnt sleep well, they would have warned me in advance. I got about three/four hours sleep. Not fun. There is a lovely park right by the entrance to the hotel. Breakfast was great and the staff were very helpful and attentive. There was lovely fruit salad, newspapers available. We got into the gardens finally in the morning but sadly our Harry Potter tour started at 10am so we literally had ten minutes out there which was a huge shame. The drive to the tour was literally minutes which was handy. I would stay at this hotel again but not on a wedding night, it spoiled it for me. The staff are lovely, food was nice and pool was ok. The gardens are fabulous and I wish I had more time to walk round them.

Room Tip: Ask to be well away from the wedding party, in fact check if a wedding is on as it disrupts your sta...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Morgan69

Dear Morgan69

After your letter, I personally contacted you by telephone. I am pleased that all your issues were acknowledged and resolved to your satisfaction.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

good location in large pleasant green surroundings. plenty of parking space. putting green. swimming pool. good bar and restaurant food at reasonable prices. sky sports television available in lounge, friendly staff. hotel room reasonably spacious. only one problem is the wafer thin walls. if like us your bedroom backs onto a room where one of the occupants wishes to talk unto the early hours of the morning you have had it as far as sleep is concerned . the man concerned was not shouting or drunk and probably did not know we could hear him, it is just that the walls are very poorly insulated.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank angelikahOadby

Dear Dennis

thank you for your feedback. It was good to know that overall you enjoyed the facilities at Hunton Park.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife booked the De Vere Hunton Park as a Birthday weekend away. She knew that I have stayed and enjoyed De Vere hotels in the past, particularly Dunstan Hall.

As you arrive up the sweeping drive, you see the lovely stately home in front.
Then you turn the corner, and park next to the 'rooms' area, which is separate and not very exciting, the sort of place you would get just for a conference.

This is disappointing, as on the website, the photographs are all of the main building.
There is also a swimming pool in this part of the building - but we used it for 10 minutes as it is very small and cold, and has no steam room or Jacuzzi which it needs as an additional facility.

My wife booked a table for dinner, as we wanted to make it a special evening. We looked on the website to see the menu in advance, but all that was available was the bar menu which didn't look very exciting at all. When we checked in, we asked the receptionist what was on the menu but was told that it would be available later on.

When we arrived at the restaurant, we were taken to our seats, and told that this evening the menu was a buffet style as the hotel wasn't very full. We asked if we could look at the menu and one was eventually brought over. It showed a cold selection of starters and carvery style offering for the main, not at all what we was expecting. We also asked for a drinks menu, which again took a while to be brought over.
The manager who brought the menu's said that we could chose what we wanted and it would be plated up should we want that. When we chose our wine, the bottle was brought over and placed on the table, with the waitress walking off. We was not offered to try it our have it poured, so we did it ourself.

We went up and joined the queue for the starters and both went for the soup - leek, potato and Tarragon. There was no service, so we had to pour it into our bowls ourselves. The soup appeared very watery, but we took it back to the table, which still had our menu's on it.

After a couple of mouthfuls, we discovered that it contained neither Leek, or Potato, or at least we couldn't taste it. The manager came over to see if all was ok, and we explained about the food and the menus on the table and the wine. I asked if there was an alternative menu we could eat from, he eventually brought the bar menu and a complimentary bottle of wine which we explained was not the issue, and after looking at the bar menu decided that was not for us especially as it was a special evening.

We went to reception and saw the Duty Manager, explaining our concerns with the food and the rooms and the descriptions looking clearly different to what was on the website and not the standard I have come to expect for the De Vere brand.

He explained that they had some similar feedback before and accepted our feedback and offered a refund as we didn't want to stay for the evening as the mood and nice expectations we had set had not been met.

In their defence, the room itself was clean and nicely furnished, but the bathroom was very dated.
My wife had arranged for a bottle of Champagne to be in the room when we arrived as a surprise for me, which the hotel delivered on, and the Duty Manager waived the charge for this which was appreciated, but we checked out and went back home.

This for me was way below the usual De Vere standard, and the website was very poor in showing the main building but not showing the rooms as they really are and the food offering and service needs a substantial improvement.

Room Tip: All the rooms are in an annex which is not in the nice building in the pictures
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paulhchapman

Dear Mr Chapman

Thank you for your feedback.

Please accept my apology that Hunton Park did not meet your expectations. I understand your expectations, as the other De Vere properties you have stayed at i.e Dunston Hall are luxury properties and where as we are a De Vere Venue. So there is a difference in facilities on offer.

But there is no excuse about the service and product in the restaurant, which I have picked up with my restaurant team.

I am pleased that after you mentioned your feedback to the Duty Manager, resolution was offered to your satisfaction.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunton Bridge
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
Mercure London Watford Hotel

Been to Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!