“Great spot”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Venice
Suttons Bay, Michigan
“Great spot”
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My husband and I stayed a few days at the Venice Hampton Inn and found it clean, comfortable, and a great rate. The breakfast offerings are many and varied, including one hot item each day. There is coffee in the lobby all day long, and fresh baked cookies in the evening.
Our king bedded room was large, the towels were fluffy and abundant.
Upon arriving, I noticed a musty odor coming from the airconditioner. The front desk sent someone immediately to open it up and clean it. This solved the problem somewhat. If I hadn't already uppacked, I would have requested another room, and I'm sure they would have been happy to comply.
The pool area is large and also has a covered space w/ fans. A nice spot to sit in the afternoon or evening.
The staff was friendly and helpful. The location is convenient, and very quiet. We walked over to TJ Carney's for happy hour and enjoyed free appetizers and well-priced drinks. The location is a short drive to downtown and the beach.

6 Thank lindeano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 9, 2006

I stayed for two separate occassions at the Hampton Inn in Venice, FL in February 2006, while away on business, and it was like a home away from home. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was a great way to start the day. The staff at the hotel were accomodating, the rooms were clean and most recently remodeled. I enjoyed having the use of a fridge in the room. For budget-friendly travelers or for people looking for a place to stay in Venice, I definitely recommend this hotel.

8 Thank NDLauren
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed May 2, 2006

The hotel looks brand-new and features all of the stuff that Hampton Inn advertises- the large showers, the big fluffy bed, free in-room high-speed internet access... all nice stuff. It's located on the Route 41 bypass but is only minutes from the center of town and the beach.

The room was immaculate- very clean, no signs of wear and tear, extremely nice decor, huge bathroom, big king-sized bed- everything I expect from a hotel but rarely get. There was even a breakfast served in the lobby that not only included the usual continental stuff but a hot item or two- one day it was sausage and french toast sticks, one day it was bagel halves topped with bacon, egg and cheese and another it was some cream stuff that I avoided.

At close to $100/night for city on the Gulf coast that doesn't match the elegance of Naples of the activity of Fort Myers, the hotel isn't a fantastic deal, but I'm more than happy to spend the $$$ if it means getting an above-average room.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank Wildwoodian
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 11, 2005

Having fled a terrible hotel, the Hampton made up for it. Nothing special, but the staff were pleasent, room clean and comfortable.

Stayed August 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
lansing, mi
Reviewed June 2, 2005

We stayed at this hotel in December and really liked it so we returned in May. We did not realize that the rooms are not all renovated. In December our room was awesome and in May we got an old unrenovated room and were not able to move to a better room. The "old" room was not smelly or anything, just dated. The hotel is very nice and close to the beaches in Venice. I would stay here again as long as I know I can get a renovated room.

• Stayed May 2004
7 Thank mosquitomagnet
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 12, 2005

The grounds and lobby are very, very nice and impressive. However, the room in which I stayed, while clean; smelled of mold and mildew. I asked for a room change and the desk clerk informed me to come back the following morning and speak with the morning clerk instead of taking the initiative on the request and making it happen. I was very disappointed.

Additionally, the telephone shows an extension for wake up calls that is not operational; and the front desk takes forever to answer the phone.

I wish I had checked the hotel reviews before booking the property. I am not the first to get a "stinky" room. It must be systemic.

Luckily, I did not catch a rash; but I did come home with an upper respiratory infection. I suspect mold spores as the culprit. It cleared up when I returned home.

Lastly, the directions on the internet were incorrect, which I brought to the hotels attention.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ohio
Reviewed July 13, 2004

We stayed here July 2nd and had a week booked, the lobby and outside are beautiful, when we got into the room we were not happy, the hotel looked like it was 10 years old or older and not updated, the room had a very bad smell of mold, The floors were dirty and there was water spots on the ceiling.
We checked out the next morning and went to the Best Western Ambassador Suites, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone until they update it.

• Stayed July 2004