“Hotel needs maintenance and better staff training.”

Holiday Inn Express Venice/Sarasota
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Venice
IL
“Hotel needs maintenance and better staff training.”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Standard-design HI Express just off I-75 Venice exit. Confirmed advance reservation requesting QUIET room location. Upon arrival, given choice of third or fourth floor room. Asked which would be quieter, and clerk suggested 4th since there would be nobody above us. Room had an internal connecting door to adjoining room, which I have learned from previous bad experiences is a noise problem and sometimes a security issue. Back down to the front desk to ask for the third floor room, but told it also had an internal connecting door. Told no other rooms were available in the entire hotel because they were sold out for the night even though people had not yet arrived. Stayed in the 4th floor room, and severe rain storms later in the evening sounded very loud on the roof and kept me awake at night. Do not know if they do not have any quiet rooms without internal connecting doors, or whether management simply does not care about the comfort of their guests when pre-assigning rooms.

The room was missing a large wall hanging. Two large metal wall hangers were on the wall to the right of the TV set, but wall was empty. Space either had artwork or a mirror at one time. The paint behind it was a slightly different color because the wall had sun-faded except where covered by the frame. Back down to the front desk again to report the missing artwork so I would not be blamed for it and have a charge made to my credit card after I left with them accusing me of stealing something.

The closet door was a mirror-door with a broken latch. The door would not stay closed and came open during the night to make an obstacle to run into in the dark during night bathroom visit. This is a real safety issue that should have easily been noticed by housekeeping and fixed immediately. But they apparently did not notice the missing artwork or replace it with something else either. There is a large hunk of wood missing from the bottom corner of the dresser and nobody has fixed that either, so perhaps they have a policy of doing no repairs to property and just let it rot.

Checkout in the morning was not friendly nor respectful. The front desk lady was more interested in playing with her dog and talking to a friend than checking me out, shouting across the lobby to “just leave the key cards on the counter”. I said I had two maintenance issues to report, and mentioned the missing artwork and broken closet door latch. She reached over the counter and wrote both problems down, but I never was offered a receipt for my stay, nor did I receive a bill under my door overnight.

My treatment at this hotel seemed lacking for my loyalty status with the IHG rewards program. Especially since at check-in I was given a form letter from GM Bridget Aylward asking me to rate them a 10 on the IHG follow-up guest survey, and Shirley, the breakfast room attendant, gave me a Trip Advisor card asking me to rate them online. I appreciate the fact that both these people realize the value of online guest comments when selecting a place to stay. (Many hotel managers do not give a damm about guests feelings and some even post arguments belittling guest experiences.) But if this property cared about guest satisfaction, it would do more to assign requested guest rooms, and do prompt repairs and replacement of room equipment.

Room Tip: Front desk said they have no QUIET rooms, so if you are a light sleeper and noise is a concern, try...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bridget A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Venice/Sarasota, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
I would like you to contact me directly reguarding your stay with us. Thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Let me just say I didn't go barefoot in the room. Hair in the bathroom sink. The in-room coffeemaker hadn't been cleaned since who knows when: the caraffe had built up gunk with MORE HAIR stuck in it. Argh! Needless to stay, I didn't dare eat any of the complimentary breakfast. Who knows what the kitchen looks like...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Bridget A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Venice/Sarasota, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
I would like to thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Express in Venice, FL. We encourage feedback from our guests so that we can learn where we need to focus to make our guests stay with us pleasant. I would like to apologize for the inconvenices that you experianced during your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly.
Venice, Florida
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed two nights and the hotel staff were friendly although somewhat overwhelmed with a full house. Our beds were finally made at 4:00 in the afternoon but none of our supplies replenished. Had to go to the desk to get more coffee, shampoo and washcloths. Also, the refrigerator in our room didn't work. At $150.00 a night, I expect a little more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I would like to apologized for the incoveniences that you experianced during your stay. Please contact me directly to discuss your stay.
Ottawa, Illinois
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Stayed at this hotel one night while visiting family on February 12th.
We were given room 210 which is very near the elevator and the storage room that has all the heating and cooling noisy motors. If you stay here, ask for any room but this one.
Furniture in the room is worn and needs to be replaced. I think the main issue is
AGE!!!! Sometimes it is just time to spend some money and refurbish. Also a good dusting would help

Room Tip: Say no to room 210
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experianced during your stay. I thank you for giving us your feedback to help us improve our guests experiance at the Holiday Inn Express in Venice, FL.
Shorewood, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My mom and I enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and I think they did a great job at greeting new guests as they walk in and making them feel welcome.

The location was very convenient to get to and the room layout was very practical for our stay which was one night as part of an extended road trip. We found the bed to be comfortable and the room to be in good condition and clean.

One complaint - The heating/cooling unit was difficult to adjust to the desired temp.

There is free wifi and it worked pretty well. The breakfast was good and there were staff members on hand to monitor the food on hand.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank BPi
Bridget A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Venice/Sarasota, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
We would like to thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Express in Venice, FL. We look forward to your future visits with us in Venice, FL.
Heyworth, Illinois
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Just thought I would let you know, that Jennifer at the Front Desk wonderful. She was very caring, compassionate and truly displayed that she enjoyed her job! She helped us locate a pizza place, dialed the number for us, printed our boarding passes for us. Just all around a great person.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tracy K
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express in Venice, FL. Jennifer is a great employee that is always willing to help our guests enjoy their stay and providing recommendations for dining and activities. We look forward to your next stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express.
Florida
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

The bed was terrible. We could not get a decent nights sleep. I can usually sleep well even on bed of nails....but not on this bed. Rooms are worn, stained and in need of rehab. Staff is very good. Jennifer was a wonderful night hostess. Great location. Right off interstate and only 15 min to beach. There are wonderful restaurants near as well.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
On behalf of the staff at the Holiday Inn Express in Venice, FL we would like to thank you for your review. I would like to also aplogize for the restless night that you experianced. I would like to hear from you. Feel free to contact me directly at the Holidayinn Express, Venice FL.