“Quick lunch”

Cuisines: Mexican
Osprey, FL
“Quick lunch”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Entering this restaurant the first thing we noticed was how clean the entire place is. Prompt friendly service, too. Our lunch came to the table fast and everything was hot. The chips and salsa brought out when we sat down was a nice touch. Will visit again as we thought the value was good.

Visited June 2014

“Average at Best”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

The wife and I have tried this place three times. Every visit improved slightly. All three visits upon entering the staff did not make us feel welcomed, not rude but just bland. All three times my wife had the same dish (camarones ala diabla) and she enjoyed it. All three visits I had different chicken dishes ( fajita quesadilla w/ chicken, regular chicken fajita and a chicken burrito) which were all bland. The chips and salsa were average. The actual restaurant is nicely decorated. The waiter, which was a different one on all three visits was not rude , but not polite, somewhere in the middle ....maybe bland. On our last visit the restaurant had one set of music while the kitchen staff was playing a different set of music, both could be heard in the dining area loudly enough that another patron complained just before I could. On our last visit we had margheritas, which we were charged for the large size as opposed to the regular size one we had. I questioned the waiter about it and after he spoke to the manager he came back to our table and he told me that is the price of the regular size drink. I had on my two previous visits thought I had been over charged but never looked into it until my last visit. I got home and checked their menu on line only to find out I was correct. I called the restaurant and spoke to the manager who barely spoke english and he told me that he attempted to chase me down to refund me the over charge but that I had already departed. Anyway we went back and got the monies that were overcharged. I really wanted to like this place but sadly enough, three strikes and your out. We will not be going back.

• Visited April 2014
“Just, OK.....and BLAND!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Waited several months after they opened to give the management time to work the kinks out, so tonight we tried "The New Mexican Place in town". First impression was good upon entering. This place has been at least 10 different restaurants in the last 20 years. They did a nice job remodeling it. However, there was no one at the door to greet us, so we sort of awkwardly walked in... A waiter grabbed us so that he could serve us at his table, only to find he needed to clean one before we could sit down. This left us standing in the middle of the dining room (?) while he removed dishes and half way wiped off the table with a (not so clean looking) very wet towel he got off the bar. I unrolled my knife and fork from the napkin and used it to dry off the wet table when he walked away... UGH! Why do they sit you at a wet table???? The waiter was nice though. He brought us a fresh delicious crisp basket of chips and some very tasty salsa. We opted for Mexican beer as their drink prices are through the roof! $10.00 for a Margarita in Venice?? Awh, COME ON! Enrique Inglesias should be serving the drinks at those prices! However, the beer was good and very cold. So we should have stopped here, had the beer, chips and salsa and called it a night. But, NO! We ordered dinner! The food arrived very hot (temperature) and was VERY bland! No amount of bottled hot sauce could help with this tasteless house speciality. It could have been better with some of that wonderful salsa added to it, but when we ran out, we were out! We could not find our waiter to ask for more. DONT GET ME WRONG, I'm not sorry that I ate here, there's just no reason to go back! I did eat about half of it though. I tried everything on my plate, it wasn't "bad", it just wasn't to my liking. I eat out for Mexican to get something tasty that I can't cook at home. But, I make much better Mexican dishes than this place! Now, your Great Great Aunt Edna could eat here because there is no real flavor in the food. I'll call it "Nursing Home Mexican" for a better description. One good note, no heartburn after eating here! NEXT.........

Visited May 2014
Venice, Florida
“Highlight is the freshly made quacamole at your table!”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I had a veggie quesadilla that was tasty, but made with frozen spinach rather than fresh, so deducted a star for that. I visited on Cinco de Mayo, so the place was packed, but they seemed to handle the crowd pretty well. Staff was attentive and friendly despite being so busy. If you like quacamole, spend the extra $$ to have it made fresh at your table... it was awesome, and probably could have made a meal out of it alone!

• Visited May 2014
FR
“Could be better”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I like this place better than Mi Pueblo, but they have some big issues:

1) They have a manager, or someone who seems to have a higher position because he wears a dress shirt, that I always see in the front. I didn't get his name but he's in his late 20s/early 30s. My husband and I walk in and he is sitting on a computer right in front of us at the bar. We stood there for a couple minutes before he got up, gave us this really weird/condescending smirk and took us to a table without saying a word. Throughout our meal he kept giving us this very weird smirk and it made us so uncomfortable! He was so incredibly rude, almost hostile. Very poor representative of this restaurant. If his boss is reading this...RETRAIN him.

2) The person I was with ordered a mojito. I want to say it was like $10, and there was NO mint in it....oh yea...no alcohol either. Highway robbery at its best. Other reviewers have had this same complaint of getting drinks with no alcohol in them.

The rude manager and complete lack of any alcohol in the $10 drinks would be enough to ruin this experience for me, however, there are some redeeming qualities:

1) The food is actually good, as I said I prefer it compared to Mi Pueblo.

2) The prices are reasonable. The lunch prices are VERY reasonable, starting at $5, and while the dinner seems a bit pricey, the portion sizes are big.

3) The wait staff is excellent. The second time I went, the waiter we had was probably the best waiter I have ever seen, and I am not exaggerating. I curse myself for not having gotten his name. He was so on top of everything and it made up for the rude manager.

• Visited January 2014