“NEEDS WORK”

Ranked #91 of 243 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Fast Food
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Venice, Florida
“NEEDS WORK”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I know they are new, but they have had enough time by now to get it right. Being near my office, they are a great location to use the drive-thru, pick up lunch and carry on. It would be nice if for once they could get it right ! Today, I ordered the tacos with nachos and cheese with a drink. Got nachos and salsa ! Did not find out until I was back at the office, I don't think it is MY job to check the bag but then I guess I was wrong. Because of their location I will probably give them another chance, lesson learned. Food is just what you would expect from a " taco bell" type joint. It is ok, nothing out of the ordinary.

• Visited November 2013
TomatillosFM, General Manager at Tomatillo's Fresh Mex, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Morgan S,

Thank you for stopping by our establishment for lunch during your work week. We are incredibly thankful for the positive response we have seen from local offices such as yours. Just like any new business, we have undeniably had management and procedural changes that were a direct result from an expectation of a higher standard of excellence.

With that being said, my sincerest of apologies for your order being incorrect, we take even the smallest issues very seriously. If you could please email me directly at christel@tomatillosfreshmex.com I would be happy to rectify the situation and encourage you to visit us again as we have worked diligently to improve our ordering process.

Nokomis, Florida
“A Moes Wanna Be... But Nope”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We love to support small local businesses and had such high hopes for this little, recently opened fast food Mexican restaurant. Unfortunately our first visit will likely be our only visit. This stand-at-the-counter (or drive-through) restaurant has clearly been patterned to try to be like Moe's Southwest Grill but does not come close.

The process of ordering was not "clear" by reading any signage and the people behind the counter offered no explanations or help even though it HAD to be obvious that my husband and I were standing somewhat helplessly trying to make sense of things. Seeing that the "makings" of the entrees looked less than appetizing while sitting in their steam tray tubs (for who knows how long), we decided to settle on something "safe" from their very limited menu which primarily included the most basic of choices of tacos, burritos, quesadillas and "bowls" without any combination plate options. We chose 2 soft tacos (my husband had ground meat, I had "steak") that we "upgraded" to include tortilla chips and a drink. We did not think that adding the rice OR bean sides for $3 was worth it - especially since these items looked like they had been sitting for awhile and did not appear like they were anything special. Our food was stone cold and had almost no taste... it certainly did not have what it would have needed to live up to its "Fresh Mex" label.

Being a new establishment - and one that is clearly struggling to survive based on the few cars we ever see in the lot and drive through when we pass by - we would also have expected someone to come to us (or at least call out to us from behind the serving counter) to make sure that we were happy with our order. No one even glanced at us after we took our food and sat down, or spoke to us as we were leaving... and it was not because they were too busy since there were NO other customers.

I never thought I would say this, but I would probably choose Taco Bell before ever going back to this restaurant! I am sad to share this review because I never want to see a local business fail - but if they do not make some dramatic changes in their food and service, I cannot believe this establishment will survive 6 months.

• Visited October 2013
BobetteMG,

I apologize for the visit you made to our establishment back in October. While it is true that any new business will have its kinks and wrinkles, we strive to maintain customer service and food prep to be the of the highest quality.

Since your visit, we have streamlined our ordering process and have changed management personnel. Atop of this, we have also changed food prep procedures to introduce fresh food to our warming line so that we serve the highest quality of food to you; we also prepare fresh homemade salsas and guacamole so that we brand a unique taste to our restaurant.

I encourage you to visit us again, and when you do, please ask for the General Manager and I would be happy to take care of you and show you the changes we have made to better serve our you, our customers. We are still a new establishment, and we are certainly thankful for the positive response we have seen from our community as they have enjoyed our cuisine, it is unfortunate you did not have this same experience with us.

Florida
“Sorta of Like Subway, for fast Mexican food”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed at the Fairfield Inn across the street. Heard about the place so I went over to try it. The building looks something like a Dairy Queen or similar, so it's not a big fancy place, but the food and service were very good. The way it works is sorta like Subway; you pick the dish and then point out the toppings you want. I had a taco salad which was very good, and pork quesa dias which were excellent! I will definitely visit again. NOTE that Tomatillo's has a drive-through if you want Mexican in your jammies...

• Visited October 2013
TomatillosFM, General Manager at Tomatillo's Fresh Mex, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear ellwooddiesel,

It's ironic you use those terms to describe our restaurant since many others refer to us with the same verbiage (a Mexican Subway). I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience with us and were extremely satisfied with the cuisine. Every day we strive to serve our customers with a fresh helping of friendliness, and a side of great food to kick! Please visit us the next time you are in the area.

Venice, Florida
“¡Sólo los más frescos!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

There are a number of great things to say about Tomatillo's Fresh Mex. It's clean; it's family oriented. But one of the best things, besides serving delicious, made-to-order Mexican food is, everything is fresh. Owners strive to serve only local produce. You can have a cold beer or glass of wine with your meal, or an imported soda. The staff make you feel like you are truly welcomed to dine with them. They serve their own brand of hot sauce, really hot sauce, very very hot sauce, and not-so-hot sauce. It's just nice, refreshing, tasty Mexican fare. The place is small; they do a great carry-out business. It kind of reminds me of one of those special little local restaurants you find when you're vacationing in an out-of-the way location and once you find it, you go back every day to try something different.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Sandy A
Dear Sandy A,

I believe you hit the nail on the head as to our mission! We make every effort to treat each person with an individualized experience while serving these customers the best food possible. We have a large following in the community, some that we see almost daily, and we are so humbled and thankful to have such a great response from the public. Many of our "usuals" know us, our names and stories, and we consider them more like friends than customers. We want to continue this kind of atmosphere and we look forward to getting to know those of you that haven't stopped in yet as well. So stop in, have some great Mexican food, enjoy a cold beverage, and maybe catch a sports game with us.

Thank you again Sandy A, look forward to seeing you again soon,