“New Decor”
Review of Althea's - CLOSED

Althea's
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Florida
“New Decor”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Althea's new décor includes a spruced up ladies' room. Good thing because the former was so bad! Although the decor's been finished for a while, I've been hesitant to return. I was not a fan.
For my recent visit, I had the chicken salad with fruit and candied nuts. It was delicious! My friend loved the onion soup and said that it was as good as she'd had. This is not an endorsement for everything on the menu! I just hope the rest is as good!
The waitress/pastry chef was great! She explained anything we asked about and seemed to have the menu memorized. She said that she came in early to make the desserts. I'm a WW, so I skipped dessert, but I'll bet it was great because she's so passionate about what she does. I found the menu to be extensive and for a summer day lunch, quite a few customers were in there. If you've been before and are avoiding Althea's because of past performance...try it again.

Atlantic Beach, Florida, USA
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Food was really good. I had the skillet special and my daughter had the pancake that looked like Mickey.

Visited July 2013
Lakeland, Florida
“Nevermore!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

After a ruined birthday brunch last November I did a review and received a direct message from the owner. He assured me that our experience was not usual and although I was uncomfortable by the direct response I decided to give him a break and deleted my review.
Today, this is what happened-
My daughter and her friend went to Althea's for brunch. They arrived and weren't greeted for 5 minutes, then they were led to a table without a welcome from the hostess. Once seated they were rushed to order and my daughter ordered a Monte Cristo sandwich. According to the menu ths sandwich was supposed to be ham, turkey and Swiss cheese on French toast that was then battered in egg and fried, then covered in powdered sugar with jam on the side. When her meal came out it was a melted mess on a crushed croissant with ham only on one half of the sandwich and no powder sugar or jam. When my daughter pointed out these differences the server, who to this point had been acting like a spoiled teenager who was forced to work at her uncle's restaurant as punishment for messing up at home, replied that she had no idea that she had to do that and she'd only been working there for a couple weeks.

1 Thank Brickchick16
Nokomis, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What happened???”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I Love Althea's - but after dinner there last nite, I came home & was sick to my tummy,after, I up-chucked & had a bout of - you know what!!! hmmm!
What's up w/ a fave of mine in Venice,FL?

1 Thank sassie_13
Venice, Florida
“Good food and service , bring a jacket , sweater or stadium blanket”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have eaten at Althea's several times , Rhode Island fish and chips were very good , we enjoyed , my wife had a pasta dish she enjoyed , we have also been there for breakfast , large tasty pancakes and eggs , our only complaint is its so cold all the time as we looked around most patrons were wearing sweaters or jackets one person had a blanket wrapped around her , we asked the waitress several times to turn off the air for a while with no avail , next time we go there we will eat outside .

• Visited April 2013