“Quantity Not Necessarily Quality”
Review of Luna Ristorante

Luna Ristorante
Ranked #45 of 244 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Venice, Florida
“Quantity Not Necessarily Quality”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This well-known Italian restaurant has been on our radar for some time now, so we finally decided to give it a try. It was early afternoon, so we opted for lunch fare, rather than a full scale meal. Pizza and a salad sounded perfect, we tried the Large Sausage and House Salads with Oil and Vinegar, just to keep it simple. Our server was very friendly and informative, brought us water right away and a huge basket of bread, certainly not made in-house, but at least it was fresh out of the oven and accompanied by the Garlickiest (is that a word?) tapenade I'd ever tasted, yum! This part of the meal was so good, it honestly would have been enough with the salad, which wasn't anything to write home about, but ample in its size and the lettuce was fresh enough, even if it was iceberg and endive, there was one piece of what looked like bib or maybe red leaf, but not the mix we had hoped for. The Oil & Vinegar was not good, obviously not a good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil and just a non-descript White Vinegar (certainly not Balsamic) and there were so many herbs and spices, the liquid would barely pour out of the carafe!
Anyway, we enjoyed dipping the bread in the tapenade and munch down the salad, wishing it were so much more (since we'd heard good things about this place). The pizza came out hot, hot, hot, very large but lacked Tomato Sauce. The cheese was okay tasting, could have used more and the Sausage was pretty much tasteless. Thin crust, baked nicely on the bottom, pastry-like but not crispy, had to be purchased (another disappointment) rather than dough made in their own kitchen. On top of the ho-hum food, the atmosphere is bar-like, owners appeared indifferent to us and the floor was absolutely sticky, tile looked like it hadn't been mopped in years and the out of place, overstuffed chairs were ripped and their insides were coming out. Then the kicker was the place only accepts cash! The best thing I can say about this restaurant is that there is a pleasant outside area where there is a fountain, tile and nice tables with umbrellas. Based on this experience, I would not recommend this restaurant, there are so many more to choose from that are basically in the same price range where you can get a real, homemade crust and tasteful toppings (and the others in the area take credit cards). Sorry, Luna thumbs down.

• Visited September 2013

• Serbian first
Venice, Florida, United States
“it used to be good :(”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We've been purchsing the Antipasto here for close to 10 years. We have always paid a premium because of the quality. Lately the price has not decreased but the quality is in the dumpster (where the salad went). The worst part was calling and they said "everything that was supposed to be in it was there". Poor customer service plus a lack of quality will remove a long time customer.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Bill H
Venice, Florida
“Great place for Italian food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The portions are huge.The food is great. The price may be considered high , but an order will feed 2 people, and you can share. In my opinion, they have possibly the best pizza in town( tied with Briandi's pizza). My wife and I order one order of Carbonara and I order a slice of pizza. We take more than half of our dinner home for lunches the next day or two. They have a small bar, and this place is CASH ONLY, no credit cards

• Visited November 2012
Punta Gorda, FL
“Great food huge portions”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was not my first visit to Luna Ristorante in Venice, Florida. I can assure you it won't be my last. I still have yet to try the pizza, though from the looks of it on the next table over, I really should. Their menu says they have a secret sauce (red tomato sauce for pasta, pizza, etc.) I'd really like to know their secret because it is delicious. On my last visit, I ordered the traditional Italian restaurant favorite: spaghetti and sausage. The server said they were huge portions, and they weren't kidding. I took home half of the bowl, and I usually clean my plate. Bottom line: absolutely delicious. On this latest visit I had their eggplant parmesan, and I was not disappointed. This time I took their advice: my lovely lady and I split the meal, with salad as an appetizer.

The service was also very good, the waitress was attentive and accommodating. We had arrived late, (they close at 9PM on most nights) and they graciously let us take out time ordering while we sipped a glass of Chianti. They have a very nice wine list also.

My only complaint is that they don't take credit cards, and I had forgotten that little fact. We had to scrape our wallets and make sure we stayed within the cash budget we just happened to have on hand. Hey, this is 2013, get real. Everybody accepts plastic these days. If you go, just don't forget to bring cash or your checkbook!

They claim to have the best pizza in town, but I still haven't gotten past all the other goodies on their menu to try the pizza. This is not a "pizza joint", but a nice, very casual Italian restaurant with great indoor and outdoor seating.

• Visited October 2013
North Carolina
“Excellent Italian food”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

The portions are huge, but you pay for it. A standard Italian $10 meal will be $19 but there is nearly twice as much of it. Other than the fact that I did not really like the spaghetti sauce (a personal preference, not a flaw in their sauce), the food was perfectly prepared and very tasty. Even if you are from an old Italian family, it may not be mama's cooking, but you will not be disappointed. I liked it and will go back, but one meal is enough for 2. 3 of us ordered 2 meals and we really could not eat it all. Great experience.

• Visited September 2013