“Thank You Kay!!!”

Ranked #17 of 244 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are an intimate bistro style restaurant located in the Historic District of Downtown Venice. Our Menu is Continental with a French and Polynesian flair. Don't let the name fool you-this is not an Italian restaurant. Walk or Bike to local shops and beaches and parks. Outside dining is available. Reservations accepted and walk ins welcome. Separate Lunch and Dinner Menu. Casual Fine Dining and Wine Bar (we do offer a full bar). We are very close to Venice Little Theatre now known as Venice Theatre. We are happy to accommodate all Theatre diners. Restaurant and full service catering are available. Lunch 11:30-3:00 (Mon - Sat),Dinner open at 5 (Mon - Sat),Sunday hours are dinner only (SEASONALLY)-call for availability. We serve a smaller menu between 3pm and 5pm outside or at the bar as well.
Freeport, Il
“Thank You Kay!!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Excellent location, service, food, value, it doesn"t get any better than this. If you missed this one you have to go back to Venice.

Visited April 2013
kay k, Public Relations Manager at Cafe Venice, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thanks for the kind words! I'll pass your kudos along to our staff and we'll look foward to seeing you on your next visit!

Cheers!
Michelle L-PR/Catering

Gainesville, Florida
“Nice, but not perfect”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a lovely dinner there, but I wouldn't say it was fabulous. Parts were fabulous - the baked provolone cheese and the spinach salad with a light orange vinaigrette. I had the salmon topped with a sauce that should have been light and delicate, but instead was a glop of thick, and rather tactless, sauce.

That said, I would still recommend it, maybe just try a different dish. The service we excellent and I thought the prices fair. Atmosphere was nice. Would have loved to eat outside, but they were full. But they do have a nice outdoor seating area where you can people watch and join in the fun of Venice.

• Visited April 2013
kay k, Public Relations Manager at Cafe Venice, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your starters, and I wanted to address the thick sauce topping on the fresh salmon dinner. Yes....it is very thick--it's called Jerusalem Artichoke Cream Sauce and is made with cream cheese...so it's indeed a thick sauce, (although per your request, we can always omit the sauce or put it on the side). I do have to say between the homemade crab cakes and the salmon dinner and the chilean seabass...they remain the top three sellers at the restaurant. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed everything else, and hopefully next time you dine with us you will try something new or feel free to try anything we have with sauces on the side. Some folks love them, and some folks just take them on the side that way they can decide how much they wish.

The outside is always a nice spot to dine with us. And...just a side note -so that you know --we do accept dinner reservations and folks can always request to dine with us outside...just let us know and we'll be happy to accommodate your request!

Until next time-cheers,
Michelle L -PR/Catering
Penfield, New York
“big change in a year's time”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Cafe Venice was always a favorite, for 6 years, but this year it was quite disappointing. The service was mediocre at best, and did not reflect the money we were spending. Food was dropped near us, and never cleaned up entirely.. the wait staff were harried and unresponsive, and the owner/hostess was dressed for cleaning out her garage.
The menu was the same, but the portions were smaller... yes I will go back, because of the past, but not based on this year! Hope it gets back into the groove.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank maryanne32
Just a quick note to thank you for your feedback. It's a busy time of year for us and am glad to see that you returned. I do want to invite you to contact me directly if there is anything I can do for you-I'm available and guest satisfaction is our number one priority. It sounds like you dined with us on a very busy evening when we had placed the "911"call to our owner to come in from her day off and help as we were "ünder the bus"as we like to call it in the biz. That specific evening I can't remember what Kay was wearing, but I know we called her with the distress call that we needed help and she better arrive quickly-so she probalby didn't think to put on her evening attire and just showed up to help the staff to make sure the staff wasn't getting burried.

We do want to ensure that each and every guest has a wonderful experience...and certainly recognize that you can't please everyone all of the time...but we do our best to provide excellent food and service so make sure guests keep returning. I do hope you come back and try us again while you're in town so that you can re-gain your faith in your past experience with us. What can I say...season brings out the craze in the business and it's always that time of year when you put your running shoes on and sink or swim. We do what we can to ensure everything goes smoothly.

If I may be of further assistance to you, please feel free to contact me direclty,
Michelle L-PR/Catering
Venice, Florida
“Delicious Lunch”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Having lunch at Café Venice was a good choice. We sat at a table outside and ordered the Southern Roasted Chicken Salad with pecans and craisins, and it was excellent. The menu has a lot of choices which all sounded good.

• Visited March 2013
kay k, Public Relations Manager at Cafe Venice, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Glad you found us and enjoyed your lunch. Thanks for the nice comments, hopefully you'll try something new on your next visit with us.
Thanks again,
Michelle PR/Catering
“Tacky to inform guest how much to tip”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were here on Easter Sunday. Sat outside in the front patio. The menu was limited because of the holiday. Food was outstanding-- crab cakes were some of the best I ever had. My son had the salmon, also delicious. And my husband is not a seafood eater, so he chose the ham. Everything was very tasty and nice presentation. Our only complaint is that when our bill arrived, it was totaled and below the total was written"20% tip $15". We are not foreign travelers; we live in Venice FL on the island. We are also in the hospitality business and frequently eat out. We are usually generous tippers (minimum 20%, or more for great service). We found it insulting for that server to insinuate that we needed help calculating the tip or that it was up to her to determine the tip she thinks she deserves. And she was not tipped our customary 20%.

2 Thank Veniceres
Thanks for your feedback. We're delighted that we were able to accommodate you without a reservation on a busy holiday and also that you enjoyed your meal. Our crabcakes continue to please people-yay!
With reguard to the suggested gratuity listed on your check, we have had several of our guests this season ask us to list the customary gratuity on the bottom of the check. We are in the process of trying to get our computer system to generate that automatically, but until then we are trying to accommodate other folks wishes too. I'm sorry that you found it unsulting, it was most certainly not meant to be-many of our guests (both local and foreign) have found it to be helpful. As you know if you are in the service/hospitality industry-the servers rely on their tips as the wage isn't a liveable amount and without the tips they wouldn't be able to survive, and certainly many of our international travelers do not realize that the customary gratuity is 20%. I'm certain it was out of habbit that the server listed that, as it's becomming more and more requested from our guests to please list the appropriate amount. I hope you understand, and hope you will come back. If you have any other concerns please feel free to contact me directly as I certainly want you to feel welcome to discuss the matter directly.

Thanks again for your feedback,
Michelle L-PR/Catering/Events