“Great View and OK Food”

Crow's Nest Marina Restaurant & Tavern
Ranked #10 of 247 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Venice's Waterfront Landmark since 1976. We focus on fresh, creatively-prepared seafood, hand-cut steaks and chops and our award-winning wine list. Serving lunch and dinner Monday-Saturday and dinner all day on Sunday. Tavern open every day with casual pub menu.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stopped for dinner at the Crow's Nest on a recent visit to Venice. A full parking lot was a good sign that it was a popular restaurant. It was certainly popular and busy. Sit by the window with the nice view of the water. Shrimp and Grits and Fish Pot Pie were excellent - the Grouper was dry and bland. I'm not crazy about a restaurant where everything is ala carte = feels like you are getting nickel and dimed. Overall, not bad, but expensive and a bit over-rated.

1  Thank Ernjack1972

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I had the mussels for lunch on January 21. Shared one with my wife. She declined a second. They tasted "off" so I quit eating them. 8 hours later we both had terrible food poising. Cramps, diarrhea and vomiting. Spoke to the manager to report our experience. She wrote us a letter saying she was sorry that we "felt" it was the meal that poisoned us, but that everything was in order in her restaurant. Very disrespectful telling us that we imagined the the episode. Paid $50 for the privilege. They kept the $50 but sent us a gift certificate. Safe bet: we'll never return.

2  Thank Bill S
crowsnestvenicefl, Manager at Crow's Nest Marina Restaurant & Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Hello Bill,

Again, we apologize for the negative experience. We certainly strive to please every guest with fresh food and great service, and I'm sorry we did not do that.

As with any customer complaint of possible food-borne illness, we do a thorough examination of the products sold to determine a possible bad food item. In this case, with upwards of 25 pounds of mussels sold the day of your visit we logically ruled out that item as a likely cause of poisoning.

Most importantly: no disrespect was intended and we certainly don't think you "imagined" anything, which is why we spoke with you at length to document your complaint, immediately investigated the possibility of food-borne illness, and sent you a $50 gift certificate by way of apology. If we didn't make clear by those actions that we were committed to taking your complaint seriously then I apologize profusely. If there is another step we could take to make you loyal guests again please email me at mgreen@crowsnest-venice.com.

We take food safety very seriously and accordingly we consistently receive the highest possible sanitation marks; our General Manager, myself and the entire staff invite you to return and thank you for taking the time to fill out a review.

Matthew Green
Manager

Reviewed January 30, 2014

The Crow's Nest was recommended by our hotel. It opened at 4:30 pm for dinner. We got there about 5:00 and it was already packed. It would have been an hour wait to eat in the main dining room so we opted to eat in the bar area. Only waited about 5 min. Reservation are recommended for the main dining room! The bar area was kind of dark with low ceilings and the tables were very close to one another. We ordered the shrimp and Grouper bite baskets and we were not disappointed. Some of the best we have had in a long time. The prices were not bad either. If we are ever back in this area will definetly be back.

1  Thank Elaine H
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Friends took us here after raving about the food they had during an earlier visit. We made reservations the day before and requested a window table. We were promptly seated and had drinks almost immediately. Our server was friendly and efficient and the view from our table a really good one. Trees blocked the sunset, but we saw plenty of boat traffic. Our friends said the Seafood Pot Pie was the best they ever had - and that's saying something given their 4-day a week restaurant routine. I opted for the Grouper "Key Largo", one of the restaurant's best known dishes. Pan-seared grouper topped with lobster, shrimp, scallops, mushrooms and hollandaise, with house rice. The hollandaise came separate, on the side, so I tried each piece of seafood plain, just to check out the "real" taste. Too often the sea food you get can't stand on its own - you need sauce to give it some taste - that wasn't the case here. Every morsel was perfect, I couldn't have asked for better; the hollandaise put the meal over the top. While I can't speak to the entire menu, the folks with me were equally pleased with their selections which included the Crow's Nest Bouillabaisse. Only downside, I ordered a house salad with blue cheese and the dressing was runny - I prefer much thicker. The menu identifies gluten free entrees and five select dinners are priced at $15 if you order before five. The dinners were a bit pricey otherwise, but I didn't mind paying given the quality of what I had. The place was starting to fill up when we arrived at 4:30 and folks were standing in line when we left. There is plenty of parking down the street with a shuttle if you arrive after all the parking spots are taken at the dock. We will definately be going back to the Crows Nest.

1  Thank Ebobee
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Having lived in the area for 14 years we stop by with visitors only because of the location by the inlet. The food is OK but expect poor service. Not only slow but usually with an attitude of " just be glad I'm waiting on you ". If you go there with this mind set to accept this and just enjoy being near the water, then it can be reasonably enjoysble. Final comment :no way in he'll do we go there when we do not have visitors !

1  Thank eronpickard