“Good food, great view, service... meh”

Sharky's On The Pier
Ranked #24 of 244 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
North Port, Florida
“Good food, great view, service... meh”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We were a party of seven, which isn't horribly challenging, but our waitress was ancient. As I looked around the room (we sat inside in the original seating section of the restaurant) I noticed that most of the wait staff were older women. No inherent problem there, but most seemed well beyond their efficient prime. I think some of them have actually been waiting tables there since I moved into the area in 1990 and they were middle aged then. Our waitress was kind-hearted, but never noticed our empty drinks so needed constant reminders of refills. She also did not understand personal space as she served the person next to you by reaching right in front of your face to get to their part of the table. Refilled my water with the pitcher condensation dripping on my food. Frustrating to pay $25 an entry for good food and fantastic atmosphere to be annoyed by bad service. I liked her, she just needs to retire (as did some others from my take of the rest of the waitstaff) Outside is a different story. Everyone out there was fresh-faced and hustling. That is the burger and nacho area with smaller tabs. Apparently you have to work your way inside to the bigger tip area and this process takes a long time. Again, nothing against older waitstaff in general, but sometimes as management, you have to have those tough conversations with the slower staff to keep your clientele well-served.

• Visited June 2014

• Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
florida
“Ok food but great views”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Go at sunset, sit outdoors and enjoy the beach view. The food was pricey for what you get and the drinks taste like mixes but you can't beat the beautiful Venice Beach views.

Visited July 2014
Osprey, Florida
“Tourist Trap!”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We visited Sharky's On The Pier for the first time last night after hearing about it and seeing articles putting this restaurant on many "best of" lists. We may be back but only for the view, which is outstanding. We couldn't believe how crowded it was for a Tuesday night in July...the "off" season. It was trivia night so maybe that brings out a bigger crowd. After a 45 minute wait (on a Tuesday in July at 7:15) we were seated in an out of the way corner. Our waiter was great and was very attentive. I had the flounder stuffed with lobster, which he said he'd had three times in three weeks and loved it. My husband had some kind of a seafood medley over vegetables. Our food arrived in 7 minutes...not that we noticed but the waiter commented on the speed himself, telling us how fast it arrived. It's hard to imagine that it was fresh cooked in that time.

Mine was a tasteless pile of stuff smothered in a creamy sauce. It was hard to make out the difference between the flounder and the stuffing. My husband enjoyed his entree which came over beans rather than the promised broccoli but the replacement was fine.

The bill was $75 for two dinners, two beers and one wine...I guess there was a view surcharge. Sharky's does have a more upscale dining experience. We might try that next time but won't be headed back to Sharky's On The Pier, there are too many other great restaurants in the area.

Kinsman, Ohio
“best thing is the view”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Food is less than sub par. Cant stand a drink out of a plastic cup. When I walked by the kitchen and looked in....uggh no thanks to dirty for me. the view from the tiki bar is the best thing about this place, and we gave it many chances.

2 Thank sharina2013
Port Orchard, Washington
“An improvement since my last visit.”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Four of us met today for lunch. Sharky's has amazing views and a beach-funk vibe. The setting really is great.
Our server was Don. He was excellent. Attentive and efficient. Not cloying, nor missing. He was a professional.
Each of us had something different. My sis had the Bimini Chesseburger with fries for $12; her husband had the Mango BBQ Pork sandwich with the edame salad for $9.50. My husband and I shared the Beach Party appetizer for $14 and the Spicy Chicken Quesidilla appetizer for $9.50.
We were all pleased with our food, as well as the service. My sister and her husband have eaten at Sharkey's for at least 10 years. My husband and I have not . This visit was my first in at least 10 years.
The food was an improvement over our last visit!

One additional comment is that the take home containers are now bio degradable. That is a plus!!