“Don't Insult The Customer.”

Kumo Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar
Ranked #126 of 247 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Went to dinner on Friday night, Sep 20, 2013. We had been there 2 other times prior to this visit, and purchased a double take deal coupon for $15 for $30 worth of food/ drink. I had a shrimp tempura roll with cured salmon on top, which was soooo small. Not average size sushi rolls that you find in most sushi restaurant, but very skimpy, and tasteless. My partner had an udon noodle stir fry with chicken dish. It looked good, but had no real flavor developed in the dish, so he kept adding my wasabi into his dish to give it some flavor. I asked for a club soda, and the waitress said they don't have it...helllloooo, if you have a full bar, and serve soda, than you do serve club soda, clueless. I instead, ordered a bottle of perrier for $4.95 which is not the issue, but server knowledge. Once we got the tab, and all discounts were made for the coupon, there was a little note on the credit card bill that instructed us to tip on the original amount of bill before deductions were made. Are they kidding. I believe we handed her a platinum amex card and know how to tip. I was going to complain to the manager, but my boyfriend said not to, and than he proceeded to tell the server that it is not polite to tell your customers how to tip, because its insulting. She apologized, and said it was her manager who wrote it on the bill. I'm sure that the servers have been screwed on tips because of the coupon deal, but it is totally unacceptable to ever question a customers tipping. I'm pretty sure we will never go back. Food is just mediocre, blane, and sushi rolls are extra small for the money. Glad we had the coupon. Would never pay full price for the lack of quality of food. Also, do not take the last booth on the right side of the dining room. It is Super Loud from the Hibachi Room and all the yelling and cheering antics going on over there. I miss my favorite sushi restaurant in Boca, Sushi Yama, now they know how to prepare sushi.

3  Thank Maryhello S

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

This is a relatively new restaurant on the island. We went there recently and weren't disappointed. Great attention to detail from the decore to the presentation of the food. The food itself is excellent. The sushi is outstanding and hibachi is also very good. I highly recommend this restaurant if you're looking for Japanese food in the Venice area.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We enjoyed our delicious lunch at this new and super gorgeous restaurant. The service was FABULOUS, and the food was cooked to perfection. I look forward to going back and trying new items on their wonderful menu!

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

The hibachi tables are fun however I've been there ms y times and the cooks do things that are not kid friendly nor appropriate. Ok for under 5 but between ages 5 and 15 or so their antics are very she inappropriate.
The sushi was great. Slow in drink refills.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Kumo is a top shelf experience ! These guys pay attention to detail from the decor and atmosphere to the food preparation. If you want good Sushi in Venice... This is the place !