“Friendly Service, Good Food, Reasonable Prices”

Burgundy Square Cafe
Ranked #28 of 249 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Went to Burgundy Square for Breakfast. Place was very busy at 9 AM. Burgundy Square is open for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner, therefore you are provided with an extensive menu. We had a great waitress who was attentive to our every need throughout our visit. I had a fruit bowl and my wife had Eggs, Home Fires and ham. These had to be the best home fries I have had in years, perfectly seasoned and sauteed with onions. There were two waitresses on the floor working the entire crowd. No Problem, their experience obviously comes through. Try this place. We are going to return shortly for dinner. Great Ambiance, Service. Exceptionally Reasonable Pricing.

1  Thank dave2840

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Good: Service was fast and friendly.

The Bad: I'm not going to say it was terrible, but the food was definitely below average. Very little creativity and pride went into the food that arrived at our table. I had the fish sandwich with haddock. On the sandwich was the fish, lettuce, tomato and tartar sauce. I don't know how they managed it, but the sandwich had almost no flavor. I ordered the fish grilled, yet there was no grill marks or grill flavor.
My wife had chicken Parmesan and had the same issue I did; very bland. The sauce was overwhelming tomato, no herbs to speak of. Just after 4-5 bites she started to feel very ill. I am NOT saying it was food poisoning, but something in the food made her ill for several hours.

The Ugly: BOTH servers, a young man and woman, were eating behind the wait station. I did not observe any handwashing between eating and bringing food and drinks to customers. Also: two soap dispensers in the men's room...both empty.

Overall a disappointing experience. And, I would like to say, IMHO I strongly question all the 5-star reviews for this restaurant. The experience my wife and I had was a far, far cry from anything remotely what the 5-star reviews claim. Just my opinion, but really believe most of these reviews are falsified.

11  Thank Croixian1
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I am a pretty tough critic when it comes to places to eat around here. I went to this place for lunch and it was wonderful. All of their food is made from scratch and not frozen stuff shipped in! You can taste it in the food. I am looking forward to going back there. Going to try it for breakfast next! The waitress was VERY nice and made our lunch pleasant.

1  Thank VeniceBeachFlorida
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Very good breakfast/brunch spot in downtown Venice. We had a seafood omelet special and eggs Benedict with thick slices of Canadian bacon and hollandaise sauce that was outstanding. The wait staff was busy but kept things going smoothly.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Decent breakfast place, but not as clean as one would expect and want ! Ladies room was a mess, and it was early in the day. The waitress seemed rushed and uninterested too.

4  Thank martonewyork