“Very Pleasantly Surprised”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Have been wanting to try this place since last year after hearing very good things about it. I had heard they get very busy so we went on the early side and had a short wait of about 20 minutes. The menu is very extensive but we were having fish. My husband had Fish & Chips and I had Cedar Plank Salmon..both meals were absolutely wonderful. They have daily special and their prices are very reasonable even if it isn't a special.

Everything we saw come from the kitchen looked delicious and the food we had was so light and fresh & flavor able.

Our waitress was a delight, I believe her name was "Ann Marie". She was very nice, gave us many of her own favorites which turned out to be fantastic. Look forward to returning again.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stopped for a light bite of lunch, had the shrimp with greens salad. It was great. Prices were high (unless you wanted the $10 lunch special). Service was very good. Cute place. Worth a stop.

1  Thank Peanuts0255
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We have been here several times for both lunch and dinner. Consistently great food and service. The best raw oysters in Venice. Always busy so you will have to wait especially at peak times but well worth it.

1  Thank Sandra T
Reviewed March 27, 2014

After leaving Robbi's Reef (a former Venice favorite of ours) after the owner refused to make my dish vegetarian, my husband and I were relieved to find Cedar Reef. The interior of the restaurant is charming and clean and the staff was friendly. They made me a delicious vegetarian-style pasta, perfectly reflecting my request. My husband loved his lobster lasagna, stuffed with lots of seafood (although not as much lobster as you would expect from the name). Their key lime creme brulee was delicious and inventive. Overall, it turned our night around. We will definitely be back and have found a new favorite dinner spot in Venice!

1  Thank Devyn P
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The food has to overcome many of the negatives of this restaurant. The main negative is the location. The second negative is the size. You have two choices. Eat inside a small cramped square room or eat outside where you are steps away from the parking lot of a busy strip mall. I didn't want to dine in such tight quarters (where there was also a waiting time of 20 to 30 minutes or more) so we sat outside where we had to put up with a certain amount of car exhaust fumes and smoking diners. Among the items ordered nothing was a real standout. The Alligator chowder was bland and had an oily feel. The Tropical Tilapia was encrusted in a coconut mixture.This seemed to overwhelm the otherwise good flavor of the fish. The Pina Colada Coconut shrimp was crispy and there was an ample amount. The rice that came with both meals was nothing special and the green beans were okay. We split a piece of peanut butter pie. It was very sweet and was not as flavorful as we thought it would be. The service was friendly but I'm sorry to say with so many places with good food and better views to choose from, we will not be back.

2  Thank Jamie W