“Hot Dog!”
Review of Brohard Paw Park

Brohard Paw Park
Ranked #4 of 59 things to do in Venice
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We love this beach even when we don't have our own dog with us. It is so fun to watch the dogs being social and their owners as well. Some chill out and enjoy, some our frantic watching their dogs. Some wade into the cold winter ocean to save their fancy dog toys when the dogs are like "you are crazy it's too cold!"
There is a alternative area for small dogs but not at the beach. There is a small dog wash area for cleaning up before you leave.

There are newer reviews for Brohard Paw Park

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our pup just loves this beach, rightly so as it's his more than ours. There's a big dog park near the parking lot and a separate small dog area, then the walk to the beach and the beach itself, it's like 3 parks in 1!

1  Thank Carrie B
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We have lots of doggie fun at this beach. My husband feels guilty when we go to another beach without the dog (she gives us that sad face when she sees the beach chairs going out to the car and not her :-( ), so we usually go to this beach with her. I love watching the interactions of the dogs and the people. :-) Some dogs sit under the umbrella their owner brings and chill out. Some run around like crazy, chasing a ball, a frisbee, or each other. Some love to swim. Some love to float. My dog loves to float on her doggie float, that I got online, and survey the beach from the water. She is also very nosey and loves to check out where other people are sitting. She's calm and just sniffs. Which reminds me: there are other dogs/puppies who run through your site and fling sand everywhere, so I recommend bringing beach chairs (which I NEVER used on a people only beach) to sit upon giving you a sand-free and dry place to sun bathe. LOL The entrance is very secure by the road. Water to give a drink to the dogs or a bath before you get in your car to go home too. Doggie poopie bags are in many places to keep the beach clean. (By the way, this is the reason I did not give the dog beach a 5 rating...the owners who don't watch what their dog is doing and let it poop on the beach and "not see it" to clean it up. I have had to go up to people and point it out after I was watching their dog having fun on the beach then it stopped to make the mess. They always apologize, but I hate feeling like I am the "beach warden" when I am there, and we can't leave that gross stuff there. Look, I understand having a good time and being relaxed, but come on...a dog is like a child that you are responsible for. Watch it! I want to relax too.) There is nothing to keep people and dogs from going on or off the "dog section" of the beach (just a small sign on a post at each end), but I mostly see beach walkers come through the dog beach and not dogs going out of their section. Besides, there is no other beach close, so a dog would have to go a bit to bother people who are not interacting with dogs. I have never seen dead fish on the beach. The other reviewer must have been there on a strange day. There is no life guard at this beach. I would not bring young children to this beach. I have never seen anyone bitten, but animals can be unpredictable. I have seen some slighty aggressive dogs here. Please, don't bring your dog if it "does not play well with others". This should say, "Brohard Paw Park Dog Beach" so it does not get confused with the Woodmere Dog Park on the other side of town.

3  Thank ushighlanders
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Set along the beautiful Gulf, is a large section of beach set aside for people who want to have their dogs on the beach. Large parking area, and a nice stroll over a private boardwalk to get to the beach. An enclosed doggie area is next to the parking lot, where there are showers for you to be able to clean your dogs with. It's just a really picturesque beach area where the dogs can run free and be with their owners. A really popular spot for locals and visitors alike. You are expected to pick up after your pet of course, and it seems that most people do. Course there are always those that think that their dogs poopie is some sort of a beach decoration, go figure! There is virtually no undertow and few waves, but we have seen dogs (little ones especially) get into trouble and have had to have their owners go get them. Have to keep an eye on them around water you know, but it's a beautiful place to do it in!

1  Thank PILOT42
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My friends love their dog Spike so much that the bring him from the Orlando area to visit Paw Park for the weekend. Since I have cats, I had no idea what to expect when I met my pals at the beach. The park is easy to find on the way to Casperson Beach in Venice - just past Sharkey's. It is secure and you must pass through gates to arrive at the beach which is good in case your dog likes to bolt from the beach to the car. There is an area near the parking lot where you can rinse off your shaggy pet. Generally the dogs at the beach are well behaved and their owners are attentive. From time to time, owners get involved with chatting and neglect their duties in overseeing their charges. This is not good if you have a little dog and a big dog gets out of hand. Rules of doggie etiquette should be maintained however the beach has been kept clean and the water is pleasant for man and beast. While the pets are having fun romping on their play dates, owners can make new friends too.

1  Thank JHannah426