“Penny found in the pizza”

Leone's Ristorante & Pizzeria
Ranked #130 of 247 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We ordered a take-out pizza from Leone's during our visit to Venice on December 26th and found a penny hidden underneath the toppings when we bit into the pizza. When I returned to the restaurant to report the incident, the owner dismissed my complaint by saying he'd been in the business for 30 years and he's never had this problem. When I told him that he had the problem now and that he was probably dealing with a disgruntled employee, he told me, "you probably put it there" and walked away. I have never had an experience like this at a restaurant and I've never been treated so rudely by the owner of a restaurant or any other establishment. There are plenty of fine Italian restaurants in the Venice area so I would strongly recommend that you not frequent this establishment.

3  Thank Bob L

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Leone’s Restaurant used to be Mama Leone’s, with another location a few miles away in Nokomis. The two restaurants have since parted ways. Mama Leone’s in Nokomis still has great food, good service, and a nice ambiance. Sorry to say, but that is not the case for Leone’s in Venice.

Last year we had dinner reservations for a jazz night. After dinner, while just starting our dessert and coffee, the hostess came up and asked us if we were finished yet. I looked at her somewhat surprised and she very curtly noted there was a long line of people waiting to get in, and could we hurry up.

This past year we gave it another try. They were offering a 2 for $25.00 special. We chose the Tour of Italy, and it was very good. The other night, after checking menu on the web site, we went there planning to get the same. The waitress was not aware of the special and checked with the owner manager, who said it was no longer available. We also saw where it was still advertised on a flyer prominently displayed on the entrance door. When I brought this to his attention, he directed the cashier to remove it. The openly advertised 2 for 1 house wines were also no longer honored. It became painfully obvious that it was now “in season” and with the snowbirds and visitors in town prices were going way up.

We ordered off the regular menu, and were disappointed. The pasta was served mushad and poorly drained. The waitress gave good service, and was sympathetic. We did leave her a good tip. But with far better food at the many Italian eateries in the area, I doubt will be going there again. Snowbirds, watch out for the gougers!

1  Thank Beanie020
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had been to Leone's las year. In checking this year's reviews, we were a little hesitant, concerned that it may have changed for the worst this year. I must say, we were very pleased with our experience. We went on a Monday evening - there were 10 of us. We got there just before 6 and our server (who was great) told us if we got our orders in before 6 PM, we could take advantage of the 2 dinners for $25 early bird specials. The menu was limited, but the selection covered both chicken, fish and pork entrees. We got our orders in in time (the computer does not let her enter early bird specials after 6 PM) and were surprised at the quality of the meal. Everything was well-prepared and the portions were not "early bird sized". Service was excellent and the atmosphere was congenial. The owner visited our table to make sure everything was satisfactory. Would recommend to anyone whether you go for the early bird or regular menu.

1  Thank Sophie726
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I have eaten there quit a bit, and the food is always consistent and great. The pizza is wonderful also. The service was good also. Very pleasant inside and everyone was very nice.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have had several wonderful meals at Mama Leone's. The service is not always good, but the food has been consistent. Sad to say my favorite item on the menu is the tiramisu - I have been tempted on several occasions to get some to go after I have been shopping at Sweetbay, but I digress. I have had some of the chicken dishes and have not been disappointed. Based on what I have seen in the more recent reviews, it appears the restaurant may be slipping. I will have to try it out again soon to see for myself.

1  Thank Bfwbfs