“Second Visit - Last Visit”

The Sand Trap Sports Bar and Grill
Ranked #39 of 247 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: American, Thai, Cafe
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2014

As I have said in past reviews I tend to give places at least a second try before I write a review. Well its been two visits and probably my last.

First visit was shortly after opening.

The only issue we had was the owner(?) was extremely rude to us and our niece. We were sitting waiting on our meals and my niece was coloring in a book we brought. Well she missed the page one or two times, and the owner came over and looked right at my wife and said "I hope that comes out otherwise I will have to charge you for fixing the table". It was crayon, it came right off with a wipe.

Second time she came over when we were eating to tell us to keep our child quiet. She was literally just talking in a normal voice. I told the owner she should probably say something to the drunk guy who was laughing so loud the people in the store next door could hear him.

As for the food it was good. pad Thai was good, if not in need of a bit more spice. The burger my niece got was very nice for a kids burger. And my wife got a salad that was very nice looking.

Our most recent trip was my wife and I with another couple. The only bad thing I have to say about this trip was they have raised prices and dropped portions.

The food was still good, but all the prices have gone up (average price is around $18-$20) and for a sports bar that's pretty high.

Also they are not using fresh product, the chicken looked like the pre-grilled stuff you can buy in walmart, and the shrimp looked like it was just thawed and warmed. Not to mention in a shrimp wrap you would think you would get more than 4 shrimp. The salad entrees were only slightly bigger than a side salad at most places, and the lettuce looked old.

Overall I cant recommend this place to anyone anymore, not due to the taste, but mainly due to the price and portion size. This is a pub, not a fine dining establishment.

4  Thank johnnmary

Reviewed July 27, 2014

When I first walked in, I thought it was a weird combination but the food was good. Sadly I had asked for the Garlic Lover but I ended up getting Ginger Delight. I accepted it only because I don't mind Ginger but that's my only complaint. The food was still delicious. And the service was great!

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Great Thai food but there is also an American menu. A family run restaurant with a touch of sports bar thrown in. Service is great, our favorite waiter is Terence. Can definitely recommend the calamari and coconut shrimp.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

While this restaurant has great looking dishes, I feel that their prices are way overpriced for the food that you are getting (comparing it to other restaurants nearby). The one big thing that I like about this restaurant is that it offers hamburgers, etc. for my husband and some Thai food for me. It is the only place where you can go where two opposing taste buds can sit down and enjoy a meal together. They have outside dining where you can smoke and bring your dog.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were excited to try their Thai food. Friendly staff but the dinners were not spicy Thai and it was pricey. $19 for a dinner that was average at best. I couldn't believe when they turned people away at 7:30 pm when there was an NBA final game starting at 8pm. Why do they call themselves a sports bar?