“A fun piece of old Florida!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Snook Haven

Snook Haven
Ranked #19 of 241 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This Old Florida location offers scenic views of Florida's river wildlife and tree lines. Seated right on the Myakka River in a county park, Snook Haven is an old fish camp with a menu featuring a variety of smoked and barbequed meats. Indoor and Outdoor seating is available. Snook Haven offers a variety of entertainment from canoes, kayaks and river tours to live music for your ears pleasure.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“A fun piece of old Florida!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I wnet here with friends who live in the area. Down a long unpaved road one comes to this old fishing camp, full of people enjoying live music. What fun! We sat at picnic tables outdooras and ewnjoyed beer and some munchies - I liked the smoked fish dip. Didn't have an actual meal but the food looked good. The waterside location and the big old trees with Spanish moss lent to the funky old timey aura. I loved this place.

• Visited March 2013

Albany, New York
“Good Food, Great Band, Perfect Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Went back for the first time with the new owners to hear the Gulf Coast Banjo Society. Got there early, but not early enough as we had to park over a mile away. Walked in, but were shuttled back which was a good thing.

The place was very crowded. We had no idea that this band was as popular as it is. They were excellent. Lines for food were very long, but we weren't distressed as we were enjoying the music and the people that we met.

The restaurant and grounds have been redone and look very good. Recommend that you give it a try for lunch particularly if the band is playing.

• Visited March 2013
Ontario
“Yukkkkkkk!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We went while on a vacation in Sarasota. We were originally headed to Sharkey's as they came reccomended. As our vacation progressed we had heard some negative comments about Sharkeys and were told that this place had reopened and was run by the "Sharkey's guy"? It was tucked away on a winding river (I think Myaka was the name) and the live entertainment looked like fun so we decided to head out for a go. BAD decision. We should've trusted the reviews we read. What a waste of a trip. We had probably the worst barbeque meal ever! The Gator bites were frozen and deep fried as were the "fried" green beans. The dipping sauce that came with both was so spicey I had to down my drink to releave the burning in my mouth; the rest of my meal was not enjoyable (would have been nice if it was marked 'spicey'). I picked a plate where you pick to meats and two sides...chicken and ribs and mac n cheese and slaw. The chicken and the slaw were the only two things I could eat. The mac n cheese was no doubt from the day before and should be renamed as mush. The ribs were tiny (baby backs, which I knew were small). I got TWO ribs and they were rubbed with a dry rub that re-ignited my mouth, again no mention made of the spice. The others in my party who got the ribs also were surprised at the spice, they used the sauces to cut down the burn but I was done at this point and dove into the cold slaw. My husband and I shared the plate and eack had a drink (non alcohol) and the bill was $28 dollars...that was one meal! The guy at the window kept saying "you know that's one meal sir". Had he told us you only get TWO ribs and a tiny bowl of yesterday's leftover pasta mash we might have ordered something else. Our friends were equally unimpressed with their ribs and fish. The deep fried fish was overdone. We were happy to go for a walk and plan our dinner! We were hoping this would be a big enough lunch to get us throuhg the afternoon...NOT! PLEASE don't waste your time. If you are a barbeque fan this will dissappoint you immensley. Trust the tripadvisor comments when they say don't go. There are SO many other great places in the area and especially on the water.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank sukhet
“Good experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We haven't been there in about 15 years. Decided to give it another try with new ownership. It was a very good experience. The food was appropriate for the location. The river is beautiful. They had a good band. It was a cool day but it was quite crowded and we enjoyed ourselves. We tried different meals including the sloppy Joe's. Someone else had a pulled pork sandwich. We were very happy with this. We live in Venice and plan to go back.

Venice, Florida
“New Managers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is part of a Sarasota county park. The old managers went out of business and the owners of Sharky's took over.
Went there for lunch the other day and the food and service are good, though they were very crowded.
Lots of fried food and large amounts.

• Visited February 2013