Caspersen Beach
Ranked #1 of 62 things to do in Venice
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Okay. I really like Casperson Beach. It has its charm and sunsets are beautiful there. Conviently located and not far from town. Good fishing and friendly people. Sharks teeth, we have found many there but if you are serioius about finding sharks teeth, I would suggest Manasota Key. I know, Venice is the capital and they are available in every shop. You can easily find them on the beach in Venice but honestly, not like they were before the beach renourishment.
If you want to find lots of them, I take my kids down to Manasota Key and go to the middle beach. It is a remote beach with FREE parking. However, there are no lifeguards. It is a 15-20 minute drive from Venice but you won't be disappointed if you are looking for quiet and relaxation rather than crowds of tourist.
My kids have walked down the beach with a bottle of water and came back with them filled almost to the top with sharks teeth. They got tired of picking them up!!! I have no idea why there are so many of them on that key, they just are. They make sharks teeth jewelry for every person they know back home. 1. Buy a post card identifing different types of sharks teeth 2. Let your kids find the fossils. 3. Go to wal-mart and buy the jewelry clasp, fine wire, and cording 4. Have kids make their own souviers and gift. 5. Enjoy watching kids having fun for cheap!!!
Manasota Key is another georgous place to relax and end a day watching sunset without droves of people. They do have public restrooms and shower. Nice family relaxation spot. If you get that close, head on down to Stump Pass State Park at the end of the key. Very nice spot as well.
We have seen every form of Florida marine life there that you could pay to see at the aquarium. Best time to see marine life moving around is early or late but all well-informed visitors know to NOT swim at dust or dark because its feeding time for sharks!!!! We are the people on the beach shaking our heads watching tourist, going "what are they thinking?!?!"

This part of Florida is so beautiful and inviting, you can't go wrong no matter which beach you choose. Both Venice and Englewood (Manasota Key) are equally charming in their own way. Definatley make your way out to the North and South Jetty. South Jetty at sunset you are sure to see dolphins playing boat waves in the intercoastal just out of reach. Walk all the way to the end and wait for the show to begin. I have been there ALOT and never left without seeing at least dolphins. Many times you see manatees as well. Great place to watch sunset after dinner.

13  Thank thedoitallmom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,461)

Reviewed June 2, 2010

We recently visited Casperson Beach in May and had a great time. We got kitty litter scoopers to help find sharks teeth. It took us about 45 minutes to find our first one, but by the time we were ready to leave, we had about 70(most were quite small). It is a fun day at the beach! The water was warm but not as clear as Siesta Key, but clear enough. I could have spent hours there just sifting through the sand. I cannot wait to go back and find some more treasures!

22  Thank raisinette
Reviewed April 20, 2010

Casperson is a rather isolated beach south of Venice, Florida. Its main attractions are fishing and shark teeth hunting. Due to the boulders on the short beaches to prevent erosion, there is not much room for large groups to spread out on the sand.
But this doesn't seem to stop people in-season. I've seen 20-30 people try to squeeze into a small strip of sand and only wind up annoying one another. The tourists also come armed with what I call tooth-scoops; three foot long poles with a mesh net on the end. The idea is to dig up sand in the surf with your net, sift out the sand and dig through what remains looking for fossilized shark teeth. I've actually seen almost-fistfights over patches of sand, its really quite sad. Then of course one child will find one, and the sibling doesn't and screaming, crying and turmoil breaks out.
Casperson is a lovely place during off-season. Its very quiet and isolated, the sunsets are breathtaking and the fishing is usually pretty darn good. But I would highly avoid the area from late December to late March. Its more like Panama City beach than anything else and is overrun with tourists and their left-behind trash of beer cans, suntan bottles, potato chip bags and candy wrappers.
Yes, you can find shark teeth there. I've found dozens while standing on the shore fishing. But these are usually 1/2" or smaller. To find any bigger you need to go out scuba diving.

24  Thank Croixian1
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I have lived in FL all my life and Saturday (9-26-09) was the first time I had ever been to Casperson Beach. I loved it. Not only for the FREE parking but for the wonderul view. The waves were a bit stong...a little too strong for my son and even my husban and I, but all in all, we had a great time. I found lots of sharks teeth just by looking in the sand where the waves and the shore met. (Lots more than my husband did, and he was sifting in the water.) The boardwalk was wonderful, peaceful, and serence. This will definitally be our new beach spot!

11  Thank keggers05
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I sat for 2 hours one morning watching two dolphins swimming back and forth between the two small jetty areas of Casperson Beach. You could watch their large bodies right from the beach in that beautiful clear water. It was amazing! I had brought a book to read and only had the two hours to sit and couldn't take my eyes off the dolphins. They were still there when I left. Lots of people fishing on the rocks. It was really nice!

6  Thank KayTee12