“Ahhhhhhhhhh....the best of relaxation and comfort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banyan House Vacation Rentals

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Venice
Banyan House Vacation Rentals
You added Banyan House Vacation Rentals to your Saves list
Ranked #1 of 2 Venice B&B and Inns
Sarasota, Florida
“Ahhhhhhhhhh....the best of relaxation and comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

With all these good reviews, you hardly need another in order to make a decision of where to stay in Venice. Chuck and Susan are delightful hosts, offering all the special touches and remembrances. The grounds of the Banyan House are wonderful, complete with a private hot tub and the first swimming pool in Venice. We're told Thomas Edison stayed here. We had the room overlooking the street, with a little private porch and its own back entrance. Breakfasts are homemade and each different during our stay. Susan and Chuck offer warm hospitality, with local history, recommendations, and genuine kindness. During our stay, we met people from Germany, England and New York. They offer free use of bikes. It's one of those "no problem" kind of places, in every respect. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelTeam4985

Business
Long Branch, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

The Banyan House was indeed the best vacation spot we have ever experienced. We have been going back for seven years now and have always had a wonderful time there. There is always something to do...including the pool, hot tub, exercise room and the room where we played pool most evenings. The owners, Susan and Chuck couldn't be more accommodating and do everything possible to insure an enjoyable stay. It is a wonderful get away from the cold New Jersey winters.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Barbara M
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Highly recommend the Banyan House! The Inn is beautiful, Susan and Chuck are great hosts, the grounds are spectacular and there is not a nicer place on the island! We will return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susan77791
Seabrook, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

our 8th stay @ the banyan house was as great as our 1st. sue & chuck make you feel @ home in this beautiful restored 1926 mansion. breakfast each morning is amazing, the gardens & pool are a bit of paradise. can not wait for a return visit.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nancy s
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is our second trip to the Banyan B&B on the island in Venice, FL. Proprietors Susan and Chuck see to your every need to make your stay a pleasant one. Unbelievable breakfasts challenge your palate each AM at 9. Beach cruiser bikes await you as you circumnavigate all the ins and outs of the island. A pool and hot tub are ready when you wish to relax. As other reviewers have noted, the inn is filled with antiques and curios to calm your senses.

There really aren't any comparable places to stay - the Inn at the Beach is a motel but is cheaper (but not much) if you prefer that. I recommend this place highly!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank Tahoe1991
MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I wish to say at the outset that I had reservations to stay at the Banyan House but cancelled them after a couple of difficulties regarding my reservation. I am writing this review to share my experience that the innkeepers seem to consider changing a reservation's terms proper.

Susan was very friendly and patient when I called in August to make a reservation. I also had a good feeling about the inn, which the local chamber of commerce had recommended.

I was concerned when my prompt confirmation did not include my rate. On inquiring about this, Susan informed me that the 2012 rates may increase but that she did not expect any increase to be significant.

Susan does get points for sensing my unhappiness with facing a higher rate than the one that existed when I made my reservation and for agreeing to not apply any increase to my stay. However, I did not think that changing any rate after a reservation was made was proper.

I even explained to Susan that I always book my "winter thaw out" trip in August because I know that B&Bs book up early during their busy times. I added that a few places that I have stayed had also told me that their rates increased in the period between making my reservation and my actual stay but never even asked me to pay the higher amount.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a Christmas card from the Banyan House but unpleasantly surprised to see that the enclosed letter was primarily about adverse changes that were understandably due to economic challenges that the innkeepers were facing.

The only change that really bothered me was a notice that the inn was charging a four-percent fee for using a credit card. This was a significant change to my reservation.

The more minor changes included no longer providing a newspaper or telephone service.

I initially decided that I would not raise a fuss because I had already made an issue of the potential rate increase. I also decided that I would just pay cash.

After a particularly expensive January, and calculating the cash expenses that I would incur on the trip, I determined that having to pay the inn nearly $800 in cash would be burdensome.

Susan did kindly allow me to cancel my reservation. I was a bit put out that Chuck's polite response to my feedback regarding the change and the fact that it was in a Christmas card seemed to ignore that my issue was having a pre-existing reservation, rather than a policy change, and that Susan did not have time to send both a Christmas card and a second mailing that explained the austerity measures.

I suspect strongly that the inn does have an email mailing list of past and future guests and could have sent the notice of the cutbacks in an email.

I doubt that I will ever stay there out of concern that the terms of my stay will change materially before I arrive.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
12 Thank MAtraveller87
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Chuck and Susan welcome us like friends, take us to our favorite room in their antique-filled historic house, and prepare the most exquisite breakfasts in the sunny patio room where we meet other friends of theirs each morning over coffee and the daily surprise menu. There is never any rush. They are welcoming and accommodating to every need, and readily provide information on local restaurants and places to visit. The pool is clean and warm, each room has a mini-fridge and toiletries, fresh towels daily and robes for evening. We have already been back twice and plan many future visits.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends