“Good food, very tight seating arrangement”

British Open Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 247 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We went with friends who wanted liver and onions. Because I am gluten intolerant, the server recommended the Yankee pot roast without the gravy. It was very flavorful, and they leave the skins in the mashed potatoes, which I love. My wife had the liver and said it was very good.

My reduction in total score is because of the very tight seating in the dining room. The tables are relatively small, very close together, and the aisle space is limited. I believe it contributed to a full glass of Guinness being spilled in my lap. I don't consider it the server's fault a bit - tables crammed that closely together are at fault. I saw regular conflicts between servers and patrons trying to move around. The owners should take a look at the issue. Tables mean money, but I will have to consider whether to go back and be crammed into a seat again.

1  Thank MrPDaddy

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We were greeted with a warm and friendly greeting. The menu is some really English dishes fish & chips, bangers, kidney pie, chicken wellington. The portions are offered in light and regular. The food was delicious and served hot.
We will return soon.

2  Thank Gitler
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The atmosphere is very good and the Shepard's Pie is to die for. It comes tour table hot right out of the oven. When you open the pie it is layer with mashed potato's, met, corn, and sauces. It will fill you up.

2  Thank skeeter2288
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Has improved over the past couple of years. A pint of Guiness and Shephards Pie made for a full fairly good meal. In spite of the train going around over head the atmosphere is quite good but very little of the place looks like a British pub. We were there mid-week so it wasn't crowded at all. Service was very good. Will return for something different.

1  Thank 2CaribTravelers
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I would not go here for the food. In our group we had one pastie that was over cooked, the fish and chips were chewy, and the prime rib was average. The beer was great and fresh and carbonated. Service personnel were very good. We played trivia on Thursday evening and that was a lot of fun. This place used to have much better food a year or so ago but since it has gone down hill. Relaxing environment but on the dark side with few windows. Avoid the food, play trivia and have a brew