“Food out of a can; worse than hospital food!”
Review of Mason Jar

Mason Jar
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Umatilla
Tavares, Florida
“Food out of a can; worse than hospital food!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I went out for a last minute 'date night' and went to the Mason Jar in Umatilla. The staff was uninterested and the food was horrible. The sides, yams, mashed potatoes & rice, were presented in what looked like 'school lunch' type mini bowls and came straight out of a can. It was disgusting! And the chicken portion, which was Saturday nights 'special' was the size of my hand and 'dark meat only'. They offered another piece, but when it came, the pink juice was oozing from the chicken quarter onto the plate. We didn't touch our plates and went to check out. We offered to pay for our tea but was told to 'Get out and don't ever come back' by the owner.
Horrible food, horrible service and a horrible experience. Don't worry lady, we won't be back!

• Visited October 2013

The Villages, Florida
“GREAT FOOD VALUE!!!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Yesterday my wife and I, and another couple decided to take a motorcycle ride up to Umatilla for lunch at the Mason Jar Restaurant. At about 1pm the place was still hopping with a steady stream of people coming and going. We were greeted by a very nice lady who promptly sat us at a booth by the window so we could keep an eye on our bikes, not that we felt uncomfortable about the area, but it's nice to be able to see your bike and helmets in the parking lot. After looking over their extensive menu and the daily specials, we all opted for the fried chicken "special". You could get dark or white meat, choice of 3 sides and it came with cornbread muffins. The chicken was perfectly crisp (the skin that is), the sides could have been hotter, but were flavorful, as was the cornbread muffin. For $7.77 the meal was a delicious bargain!
i spoke with Keri, one of the family owners and told her I'd write a good review for a free meal, just kidding. Keri's told me her family has been running this and another restaurant in the area for about 3 decades! Poorly run restaurants come and go in central Florida, so to have been in business this long speaks volumes about their foods quality and friendly service. It was my first, but definitely not my last visit here.
Ron

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank 99flyboy
“Great breakfast, Great AUCE Fried Chicken”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We go to the Mason Jar about once per month. Mostly for breakfast but sometimes for Sunday afternoon All You Can Eat fried chicken. I have yet to have a meal at the Mason Jar I did not like - it is always enjoyable and the teamwork by the staff is great. I always leave full and happy.

Visited September 2013
Ocala
“Good little country drive in”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Met a friend here for lunch and was pleasantly surprised. Specials board at the door contained list of several items. One of the items was a sloppy Joe, so we asked if it came from a can. Answer was no, it was home made. We ordered it (it comes with one of a long list of sides). The sloppy Joe was excellent and so was the service. After finishing the sloppy Joe, the server asked if we would like some peach cobbler, just out of the oven. We could not resist and were not disappointed. This place is not fancy, may be busy, is out of the way, but worth the stop.

• Visited September 2013
Brandon, Florida, United States
“Great Service”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had a group of 20+ ladies, and we were in and out of there in under an hour and the food was great!

Visited August 2013