“Go with a grin on your face!”
Review of Chalet de la Frite

Chalet de la Frite
Cuisines: French
Haddenham, United Kingdom
“Go with a grin on your face!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is an extraordinary place. It's a collection of wooden chalets within which to dine with the family, or as a couple. It always buzzes, and the eccentric and capable chef, Claude, produces wonderful (I mean it - try the lamb cutlets) meals. All with chips, as its name suggests. Choice of Lamb, Chicken, Steaks, Moules, Oysters, Burgers, Brochettes, etc etc. with fresh veg and salad. Great atmosphere and where the locals gather and are happy to mix with vacationers. Oh, yes, exceptionally reasonable prices too. The house red (6 Euros a half litre) is very good value indeed, and Le patron keeps quiet about where it comes from. This really is a must if in the area.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Michael P

UK
“Mad as a box of frogs”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Quite simply, the strangest "restaurant" we have ever visited.

The seating arrangements ensure the utmost privacy as each party is given their own chalet ( garden shed - to you and me!)

The menu was only written in French and as I hate to choose something I have had before I went with the waitress' recommendations.

The charcuterie plate was fine - even served on plastic plate and my father's fish soup seemed palatable.

My son had steak frites, my dad moules frites and my - well I'm not sure - but it did come with frites.

To be honest the frites weren't brilliant - somewhat surprising given that they take star billing, along with the sheds, on the sign - but they were plentiful and replenished when finished with hotter and better ones.

For dessert my son had a crepe and I chose something that the waitress told us she had made herself and that it was a local delicacy. I'm not going to argue but it wasn't really my cup of tea - a kind of rice pudding cake , me thinks.

The place is complete with guinea pigs running around freely and ancient pinball machines in the courtyard and waht more could one ask for?

• Visited June 2013