“Only average...”

Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Knoxville
“Only average...”
Reviewed June 13, 2009

This hotel is well kept for being an older hotel.
Pros: The cost- it was a bit cheaper than staying in Clearwater. It was very clean on the inside. Well kept. The housekeeping staff and front desk person was very nice and pleasant.
Cons: The biggest thing we didn't like about this hotel was the distance to the beach/water. We didn't realize it was so far to the actual water. I would prefer to stay closer to the water. The light in the bathroom didn't work most of the time. I did report this when we checked out and they said they would get it fixed. There was also very visable mold on the chair sitting on the outside balcony. We had a "ocean front" room but d/t the distance to the ocean we couldn't even hear it or even get a breeze from it. The other rooms were not private balconies.
We decided to only stay one night d/t the cons of this hotel to our family.
Overall this was an ok hotel to stay in. Basically you get what you pay for.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank KimRN66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Mpls,Mn
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Barbara, on the 3:00 to 11;00 shift was the nicest most helpful staff person we have had in quite some time! The Gulf rooms are ver nice with a beautiful view.

Paradise Valley, AZ
Reviewed May 30, 2009

We had a mini-family "surprise" reunion and the hotel had everything arranged perfectly.
The staff works harder than any name brand hotel. Thanks to Jared for busting his butt and Barbara for saving hard to get weekend parking spaces and suggesting a great off the tourist path restaurant which had to be one of the best meals I have had anywhere!
Thanks again to the Thunberbird and their staff for a PERFECT WEEKEND!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
daytona beach, fl
Reviewed May 29, 2009

We always enjoy staying at the Thunderbird when we are in the area. The rooms open right up to the pool and hot tub. There is also a tiki bar there that is a lot fun to hang out with the locals. Live music adds to the island feel. There is a resturant there that is very good but there are plenty of options within walking distance if you prefer something different.

1 Thank beachbaby1234526
Knoxville,TN
Reviewed May 21, 2009

My husband, his grandparents and I stayed at this motel. My husband thought that the sheets felt itchy, but we just figured they didn't use fabric softner or something.
Although the price and location seemed perfect...the smell of the room- along with the BED BUG bites, were not a good start . On my way back home I notice a lot of itching on my arms and legs. A week later I was sitting at the doctors office with huge, bright red welts on my arms and legs. It looked like I have the chicken pox! My physician said I was highly allergic to the bites. My husband and grandparents fourtunatly did not have the same reaction that I did. My husband had a few bites on his arm that were normal flesh color, and looked more like mosquito bites.I'm still not fully recovered from this PURE nastiness. My legs and arms will never be the same. I would not reccomend this to ANYONE!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank hayvols87
BestWesternManager, Owner and General Manager at Thunderbird Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2009
Our regular pest control company is specially licensed in bedbug service and inspected this room yesterday and found no signs of bedbugs.

This is a very serious allegation and we do not take this accusation lightly.

The room that this guest stayed in has been occupied almost continuously since her 1 night stay on May 16, 2009. There have been no reports of bedbugs by any of the guests who stayed either before or after this guest. As a precaution, this room was taken down as soon as this review was posted and the bedding and all soft goods were removed and the room thoroughly inspected for infestation. There are NO signs of any insect activity in this room. ALL housekeeping employees are fully trained in what to look for when cleaning and inspecting our guest rooms.

If there were indeed bedbugs in the room, it would have been appreciated if the guest had notified us directly at the time of the incident so that we could have taken immediate action .

It is more likely that the guest may have been bitten by sand fleas or could have had an incident during a stay at another location on this same trip.
Longwood, FL
Reviewed May 11, 2009

My wife and I made a reservation at the Bilmar, next door, where we had reserved a "Gulf Front" room. Apparently, the Bilmar has their own secret definition of "Gulf Front," which includes rooms directly over the restaurant and pool (which causes a lingering aroma of stale beer and garbage, thus causing you to avoid opening your balcony door- the whole point of a "Gulf Front" room...). We checked out of the Bilmar about 15 minutes after checking in a walked next door to the Thunderbird.

The man at the front desk on Friday night was very pleasant and helpful. He allowed us to look at the room before booking. These rooms are more what I had in mind with "Gulf Front" since they are on the beach looking directly at the Gulf. This was a drastic improvement over the Bilmar room. The room was old, but functional and generally clean. The only issue we had was that the bathroom needed a touch up-particularly the toilet (my wife and I are sticklers for a clean bathroom). The view from the balcony made up for any deficiencies, however.

Hotel staff were generally very pleasant and helpful with directions and recommendations. On Saturday night, Barbara took all the stress out of any dinner decision and made a reservation for us at the Middle Grounds Grill (which turned out to be a perfect night out).

The only staff issue we had was with the Saturday afternoon bartender at the Tiki Bar- he was neither knowledgeable nor pleasant; and he was not nice to my wife. He should be happy he is raking in tips at a Tiki Bar on the Beach; but he, instead, takes it for granted (after years in the business, I can tell). He needs to be replaced by someone more pleasant like the rest of the Hotel Staff; or, you would do well to replace him with Michael (or someone like Michael), the bartender from the Middle Grounds Grill.

Overall, this was a very good experience which could have been great with very minor fixes.

Bloomington, Il.
Reviewed May 10, 2009

What an incredibly great time we had at the Thunderbird. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Our room was clean and very comfortable. The bed was just like ours at home. The location is wonderful. The trolley can take you right to John's Pass and there is a grocery just a few blocks away within walking distance. Really no need to rent a car. Plenty of shops and restaurants at your fingertips. The live entertainment every afternoon was such a treat. So relaxing to sit by the pool and listen to good music. The best relaxing vacation we've experienced.

1 Thank savytravelers3225