“40 year customer July 4th at the T-bird on Treasure Island Beach, FL.”

Thunderbird Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have been staying at the T-bird almost 40 years and really love this place and the atmosphere. The last two years (2011 & 2012) were not that great because the ac did not work and our reservations were all screwed up. This year (2013) was awesome because Mr. King is finally putting money back into the hotel and the new maintenance crew is nothing short of amazing. I cannot tell you how much business I threw their way over the years and was ready to start booking our 4th of July vacation next door at the Bilmar and so was the other five families that are in our group. I still think the prices are for a five star hotel but I pay the rates again because I love the atmosphere here and the beach but the great thing about America is we have choices so hopefully we will not experience anymore problems and Mr. King continues to put money into the hotel like the new flat screen TVs he added to some rooms. My family takes care of this hotel like it is our house and will continue to saty here not just on the 4th of July but on other spontaneous occasions because we live in Tampa. I would like to thank the tiki bar dude Van something, all the cleaning people Janice, Rita, Kathy, Edra, Chantell, Shawn, Sue, Shante and the maint group for keeping us happy and the property respectable they all do a spectacular job. Also I would like Mr. King to know that I will continue to stay here as long as he continues to make upgrades and catch back up to modern times on the interior of the rooms. I will also throw business your way and I personally know that word of mouth is the best advertisement around...

Room Tip: We get the room with a bedroom with two full size beds and the pull out bed in the livingroom and th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tncbucfan
Write a ReviewReviews (1,639)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I purchased a vacation package and chose this resort without a lot of information. In reading the reviews both good and bad on line I was really skeptical to stay here. I arrived after dark in a torrential rain storm. I had rented one of the suites so there wasn't an elevator. I found the staff to be more than accommodating. One of the gentlemen that works there met me at my building and carried my luggage to my room for me. I found the suite to be very clean and comfortable. I was worried about the noise as it was over the 4th of July but found that once in the bedroom, I was not able to hear any noise at all. There was a rowdy crowd in the room next to me on the 4th but the management alerted security and they were asked to leave. Parking was not the problem that I expected it to be. I ate early so was back before it got crowded. There are lots of good eating places within walking distance. The pool was rarely used and some days I had it to myself. It is a long walk to the Gulf but there are other options that are closer. It was a great way to spend the holiday. I definitely will be returning in the future.

Room Tip: If staying in a suite I would recommend the second floor to avoid a lot of traffic by your room. I...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 12, 2013

When I was little this was the hotel we always stayed at, I was planning a girls weekend and thought about Thunderbird. They did not disappoint, I love this place, the room was perfect, beds comfortable, had a gulf view ground floor room. Perfect! Never heard a sound after we went to bed. Parked the car on Friday and did not move it until Sunday when we left. Walked to VIP for wet burritos which were fantastic and down to R Bar for dinner on Sat. I'll be back and I hope before 35 years have passed. Only complaint is the A/C, it didn't seem to be able to keep up.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank FloridaMollyMac
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Always wondered what it would be like to stay here. We drive by it all the time when going to sunset beach..
So we had a few days left for our vacation and booked a room for three days... Entered the hotel and it was a breath of fresh air .
Everyone we came in contact with was amazing. The young lady that checked us in on Wednesday at 3pm was more then friendly. And the gentleman that tends the desk at night Luis (he was super friendly and very accommodating). We will absolutely go back no questions asked..
We sincerely thank you because this was a perfect end to a great vacation..

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Ynellynel
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Loved the hotel. great place to stay. the staff was so helpful. anytime we asked anyone for anything they would drop whatever they were doing and get what every you needed. comfortable beds. small kitchenette but worked for what we needed. loved that they supplied a pack and play for my 1 year old to sleep in. it was great to not have to worry about trying to take one or get one when we were there since we flied in. great location and the pizza place across the street was good we ate there 2x.

Room Tip: had a poolview kitchenette great view of ocean and pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My room wasn't ready when we arrived, well it was they told me it wasn't but the room they put me in was ready the whole time I waited I'm the lobby and it was the one they had me in when I tried to check in so no room swap to get me in. I am half way into my second stay at this hotel and its 2 am and the people above us have been banging around in their room for hours. Also the water from the A/C unit above us is dripping down on ours and you can hear it in the room. That slow drip on the metal is like a torture treatment. They told me told put a towel on it so it wouldn't hear the drip on the metal not much else they could do. Although the place is dated after my first stay in Sept of 2012 for the price I thought I had found a new place to travel to, rethinking that now. We are in room 21 by the office so we don't get any of the pool noise which is nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I am very thorough in researching where we stay, it has to be affordable and clean and nice.....after hours of researching I found this place...and they didn't let me down. Very nice staff, friendly, room was great, right on beach, very clean. This is an older retro style hotel (which I love about it) but updated and kept up very nicely. We had a great few days at the beach here, they have a nice pool, close to restaurants, they have music each night and a bar. Everything you need. I only had a couple things I didn't like.....too many smokers here, sitting outside smoking outside their rooms (very rude and irritating) and the actual ocean is a little walk from the hotel. You are almost in a "V" on the beach (lots of beach in front of your room) so if you want to hear the waves from your room, this is not the place to stay. Otherwise great place. OH, AND THEIR BEDS ARE SUPER COMFY!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family