“A dream that I didn't want to wake from”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Toronto, Canada
“A dream that I didn't want to wake from”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

This was a fabulous hotel. We had no disappointments - except that our stay wasn't long enough!! Our view of the gulf beach (Deluxe Studio) was breathtaking. Being greeted by the beach and ocean every morning is a dream. Enjoying the sunset, while sipping on cocktails on the balcony - again - another dream. You cannot go wrong by choosing this place. Staying during the "off-season" has it's advantages - it's quiet, romantic, and relaxing. Having restaurants (e.g., Sloppy Joe's), and stores close by is very convenient. Cooling off in the pool - fabulous. I highly recommend this place to everyone. This area and hotel is a diamond in the rough. I wanna go back!!!

1 Thank Smurf466

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
Niagara Region ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

The Good
We enjoyed our stay at the Bilmar and found all to be friendly and so willing to please. Note: You can extend your stay if you have a late flight, until 4:00 for around 50.00.
2 pools both a little cold Most guests did complain about the pool temp. Aside from that, the hotel was clean clean clean. The food at Sloppy Joes was good.
The cleaning staff cleaned our room in good time. But it is off season so I'm unsure how it would be during high season. I find many beach hotels don't hire enough clenaing staff to have the room cleaned before 4;00
If you don't take your laptop they have one computer available.
We liked the bar across the street for food and drinks and nightly outdoor entertainment. Crowd is 50 plus...right on for us.
I would like to thank the young man at the front desk (so sorry I didn't get your name) who was so sympathetic when he learned I fell and hurt myself (not hotel fault ) and treated me to a drink to help make me fell better!!!
My husband love this place. We love the location... love the beach other guests were great. Loved the staff. A true 3 star plus xtra coodos for clean clean clean
The Bad....pools need a little heat (by the way one is salt on is not) Bed is new but not a pillow top. After 5 days back got a little sore. Pillows not full size. They were a little uncomfortable to get used to.
Ugly...not a thing

1 Thank bbilodeau55
KansasCity&TheWorld
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

Trip Advisor Solid Ratings proved Pure again; XLNT condo/remodel of older hotel. My Lady & I were attending a wedding at Sand Pearl 12 miles north...lovely place...but at Bilmar we enjoyed a very similar room, better view, bigger beach & no pretensious nonsense and stayed 3 nights for the price of one at Sand Pearl. Yes they have a lot of weddings, so its a little raucous Saturday at 1AM (How Surprising) The price was so
reasonable,my expectations were modest...but exceeded in every way. Its a wonderful
place with every amenity and I'd return if the rates went up 50%. If you know parking is
mostly accross the street at Walgreens (handy) & don't expect a whisper quiet A/C, Its
a Hotel a couple might thoroughly enjoy for a Week for the same price as 2 nights
at one of the Lux Hotels 12 miles north in Clearwater...but a better beach & no traffic.
PIZZA: I seek the ultimate THIN crust N.Y.Style pizza everywhere; It can be found (oddly)
2 miles north in a tourist shopping mecca called John'sPoint: De Luca's. TRUST ME!
ItsWhat ImTalkinAboutHereF'Real!. & BOATS: Also, 150feet away, one can rent an 18'
for $200-250 for 4-5hrs. and do some serious exploring or partying...Shelter Island...ask.

1 Thank Novemdecillion
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

I have read negative reviews on this website about this hotel, so let me say GET REAL PEOPLE WHAT DO YOU WANT.
MY wife and I with some friends arrived on 1st of Oct for two nights, we arrived early but this was no problem to the very friendly and excellent reception staff. The rooms were ready for us so we went straight to our second floor ocean view rooms, they were beautiful and very clean. The view across the white sandy beach was to die for.
We decided to have lunch in the hotel bar, the staff again were excellent and the food very good.
The general manager Clyde Smith must be very proud of his staff and the service they give to their guests, in fact whilst we were there, 3 weddings took place and with what I saw the wedding parties must be very happy with Bilmar beach.
I can't think of a negative and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank stanfordBarnsley
Largo, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel the night of our wedding. This hotel is very clean, comfortable, and nice looking but the room location and service were not what we expected. Although our room was very nice, our balcony over looked the restaurant area. This bothered us because we had specifically requested a room with a private beach view balcony. We explained that it would be our wedding night, so having a second floor balcony right over the food and bar area was not what we wanted at all. Our room service experience the next morning was extremely sub-par. We ordered two breakfast meals, over an hour after we had ordered we called because they had not arrived, they apologized and sent someone up. Unfortunately, they only brought one of the meals. When we called down again to explain the problem they took another 20 minutes to bring up the second meal. We complained to the manager who brought up the meal and she told us we would not see the charge on our bill. However, when we checked out, the charge was on the bill and we had to argue with the clerk and another manager to have the charge taken off.

Hopefully our experience was not the norm because the look and cleanliness of the hotel are nice. I would still recommend this hotel to others but also want to note that with the way this part of the beach is set up, the hotel is really far from the water. So, if you want to wake up by the sound of the ocean, you may want to look at staying on another beach, like Madiera beach.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Dear Mrs. Sachion,

Please accept my apologies for the location of your honeymoon room and the mistakes with your room service breakfast. I noted you confirmed the reservation through Expedia which sometimes limits our ability to pre-assign rooms but after you arrive we should have done a better job to ensure you were comfortable had the room you needed for your important occasion. Your room service experience is not the normal standard we set for any resort department and I am truly sorry for the errors and inconvenience at check out. I have shared this experience with the appropriate departments and will certainly strive to improve this department.

Thank you for sharing the positive aspects of your visit and your willingness to recommend us to other travelers. Your opinion is vital to our future success and we look forward to your next visit. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will make every effort to ensure a quiet relaxing Bilmar experience.

Clyde Smith
Charlestown, NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

My daughter and I were pleasantly surprised to find a clean and comfortable room with a slider right onto the sand of Treasure Island Beach. It had a refrigerator and small microwave which was nice. Sloppy Joe's Restaurant was only average and I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than snacks and drinks. The hotel has a six or seven story section that overlooks this restaurant and one of the two pools. I would guess the noise level would be a problem in those rooms. Food at the breakfast cafe was better and the pool in the three story section was much quieter. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

Right off the bat at check-in the staff surprised us by offering a 4pm checkout so we could go to the beach that afternoon and still return to the room to shower and change before we left. The room was really nice, and the beds were really comfortable. The view of the hotel's beach from the 7th story was amazing.

Breakfast at the restaurant that sits between the pool (there are actually 2 pools on opposite ends of the hotel) and the beach was surprisingly fast, inexpensive and really good. (Side note: hats off to the bartender there who knew how to make great drink!)

The staff was really helpful and gave great restaurant suggestions, sightseeing tips and local info. They were all trying so hard to make sure everything was perfect. As far as price, it was less expensive than I would have expected by $50 easily.

To sum it up; for the value and experience I'd thumb my nose at any other hotel in the area. My wife and I went for our anniversary and I'm so glad we did. Only regret? Not calling in sick to work the next day to stay longer.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple