“Fine Stay at the Beach”

Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Charlotte
“Fine Stay at the Beach”
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We spent a couple of nights here, and had no complaints. It's located in a section of Treasure Island beach where the beach is very wide. In fact, it's about a 250 yard walk to reach the water. Our oceanfront room was very nicely furnished with comfortable beds. Even though a noisy restaurant and bar was a couple of floors below us, we couldn't hear anything at night. This is not a luxury property, but the rates are quite reasonable for a hotel directly on the beach with all the latest amenities (flat screen TV, etc.). There is another small restaurant near the lobby area which has good breakfasts for a reasonable price (with very large servings). Also, there is a pretty good fine dining restaurant (Pearl) which is just a short walk away. The only potential drawback is that the restaurant/bar gets a good crowd from off the property, so finding a parking space at night can be a problem. However, there is an overflow lot in a shopping center across the street.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I stayed at the Bilmar with 3 of my teammates for Spring Break and it was great! The staff was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the efficiency rooms and it had all the cookware we needed to make dinner a couple nights and the kitchen was really cute! The pool and hot tub area is awesome too. :) Plus, the area is wonderful. It's super close to restaurants and bars, as well as shopping. I would definitely go back there for Spring Break or just a vacation!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carolyn O
miinneapolis
Reviewed March 14, 2010

We stayed at the Bilmar for 5 nights in early March. The weather did not cooperate when we were there but we made the most of it by spending time at the pool and Busch Gardens. We stayed in the Beaches building in Room 217 which is located right next to and over the bar. We were staying with a 5 1/2 year old and I was hesitant about being so close to the bar, but my husand thought it would be fine so we didn't move. The first night there, there was a Dixie Band that played unitl 10:00 p.m. Yes, we could hear the band through the walls but we were so tired from traveling, we fell asleep anyway. There were two weddings there on Saturday. One reception in the bar and the other on a patio next to the pool. The music ended at 10:00 again, but the party didn't. For the price of the room, I was disappointed that they placed a family with a small child there. We would have been more comfortable in a room further away from the action.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay. The room was clean with a full size refrigerator, cook top and microwave. The pool area was clean. The beach is fantastic and made the whole trip. Sunsets were amazing. I probably wouldn't stay there again because of the noise from the bar and wedding receptions and my disappointment that they didn't recognize a young family should be in a different room.

We had some great dining experiences. Sloppy Joes was yummy with very friendly service. VIP Mexican Lounge, right across the street, was excellent with authentic Mexican food. Great margaritas and guacamole dip. Foxy's was yummo with great pizza and service. Don't let the strip mall location fool you, it's very good.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Bilmar Beach Resort. I sincerely apologize for the disturbance the music from Bazzie’s Beach Bar caused you and your family. We do stick to a strict 10:00pm policy of stopping all music at both restaurant locations. It appears we could have done a better job monitoring the guests after the reception ended. This will be addressed with our security and guest services departments to avoid any inconvenience in the future. We have several room locations at the Bilmar with size of room, amenities and price dictating where most guests choose to stay. The Beaches building is very popular with families due to its location near the sun deck, whirlpool and courtyard pool. We will make a greater effort to monitor room locations for families and after hour noise. Thank you for the many positive aspects of your stay you shared with other readers. We are very fortunate to not only have two great restaurants on property but several others within walking distance. I am glad you enjoyed some of our local flavor. I hope you will consider staying at the Bilmar Beach Resort in the future and we will be happy to work with you to secure a room in a quieter location more appropriate for your family.
Columbia City, IN
Reviewed February 23, 2010

Our room (204) was great - obviously remodeled -very clean and neat. Entire hotel looked great - pool, lobby, etc.

Service above and beyond - We got home Friday night and I noticed my wedding band was missing - We remembered hearing it hit the concrete by the pool but had no idea at the time what the sound was. A call to the resort - talked to Richie at the desk - and Sal in maintenance went out and searched the area with a flashlight and found my ring.

Richie even followed up on Tuesday to make sure that it made it here - Thank you Richie and Sal!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike_in_CC
cape breton, n.s.
Reviewed February 23, 2010

My husband & I stayed here for 3 weeks in Jan. and although the weather didn't warm up until the second week, the service was great. we had an efficency room so cooked a lot on our own. the closeness of the Public store (which has The most helpful staff) was a bonus and a small German cafe in the mall across the street has the most wonderful food at very reasonable prices, we ate there a lot. Bilmar's beach is awesome and we walked a lot during our stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The desk staff is the greatest.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I stayed here instead of the Tradewinds where my conference was taking place. Saved about $70 a night and it's just a mile or two down the road.

I liked the room with the beachside window. I thought the bathroom was just fine although I noticed that some others said it was smallish. The Dixie jazz band in your restaurant was wonderful to listen to from my room (the restaurant was packed with fans!). I also had some difficulty with the internet but was helped out by Richard at the front desk who seemed to be a overall wonderful person. The wifi connection wasn't as strong/fast as I'd prefer, but I did have internet access and was able to use Skype.

I think what struck me most was the clear desire and effort being put forth to improve. Just like on this page with responses to most feedback they receive, they clearly cared. The shower may have felt small if it weren't for the shower curtain rod that bow outward. The parking may have been an issue if it weren't for the people they hired to hold spaces for guests. I really liked this place.

That said, I'd say the biggest possible issue would be for people with little children in that the music from across the street was pretty loud...even though it was pretty far away. As a parent with a children who will find any reason not to go to bed, I can imagine that the music may have caused a problem.

Other than that, the location was great as far as what you can hope for in the Saint Pete's Beach/Treasure Island area.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Scooterpea
Ontario
Reviewed February 12, 2010

This was our first stay at the Bilmar and thoroughly enjoyed it!!!!! We stayed in a Deluxe Gulf Front Studio room overlooking the water.5th floor......The view was breathtaking...rooms very clean and the staff were welcoming.....we have already reserved for this March 2010...looking forward to the friendly staff and a nice room...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank baseballhp
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2010
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Bilmar Beach Resort and the great view from our Deluxe Studios. We all look forward to your return next month. The weather should be great! Thank you for your generous compliments!